Camping/RVing/Vanlife thread

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't recall a thread dedicated to this subject. I think it deserves a spot.

Anything related like:
Your gear
Your destinations
How you camp
Answer questions for beginners
Tips and tricks

This was our setup this past weekend at P4 Domefest in Thornville, Ohio last weekend.
Screenshot_20230525_072604.jpg
My daughter and her boyfriend set up the tent on the hill. We smoothed talked the parking guy and got a lonesome spot. We are getting better at dry camping as I added ecoflow delta 2 solar battery to an already parallel 200ah batteries. Gas runs our frig.
Putting together some bike trips on the calendar.

Would love to see if we could get group camp ride event this summer. Maybe I will put one together.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’m a bit of a minimalist. I’ll have to take a picture of my set up.

I dig the campers tho. Always jealous when I see something like that.
We still like the feel of tent camping hence the hybrid RV but with the comforts of a mattress lol. We almost went back to a pop up but decided to stick with this set up for now. A slide would be nice for when the kids are with us. Bonus of a hybrid is that you don't lose space for beds.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My dad had this A-line pop up. It was perfect...he recently sold it just because he never used it. I'm a bit sour about that...I was hoping to use it this summer.View attachment 214251
I really wanted to get one of these. Perfect for our use. I'm not one for rolling apartments, hence why I said we almost went back to a pop up. This was the pop up I was talking about.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
My dad had this A-line pop up. It was perfect...he recently sold it just because he never used it. I'm a bit sour about that...I was hoping to use it this summer.View attachment 214251

My neighbor has one of these in their backyard. I swear the dad uses it as a family escape hatch. They take it out a lot during the summers with their kayaks… again my ultralight set up has me jealous.

JerseyPete

I really wanted to get one of these. Perfect for our use. I'm not one for rolling apartments, hence why I said we almost went back to a pop up. This was the pop up I was talking about.
Have you looked at some of the hard side slide in's? When I had an F-150 I was looking at those because I like the security and noise level of a hard side. The crew cab bed was not really big enough for what I considered cost effective.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
camping is in a tent, anything you pull behind your car/truck is not camping
Agreed, but... I need some comfort like an air mattress and running water. Car camping is my usual go-to. My days of backpacking 15 miles to a site are over. The last time I stayed in a camper, I got bed bugs. I also find the sleeping quarters to be pretty lousy compared to a big tent and air mattress. As far as those fancy $250K campers, I'd rather stay in a nice hotel and drive to locations.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Have you looked at some of the hard side slide in's? When I had an F-150 I was looking at those because I like the security and noise level of a hard side. The crew cab bed was not really big enough for what I considered cost effective.
Not sure what your referring? Hybrids?

JerseyPete

Not sure what your referring? Hybrids?
The campers that slide in the truck bed, and have hard sides instead of canvas when they are popped up. They cost as much as some tow behinds.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The campers that slide in the truck bed, and have hard sides instead of canvas when they are popped up. They cost as much as some tow behinds.
Yeah that would be a big no from the wife. My friend had one and those are very Claustrophobic. At some point their will be a
Class B in my future.

jredone

Been building this beast for the last 2 years, sorta finished aside from some more suspension work on the list.

Was always into the van thing, building them out, explore a bit then sell. I think I’ll be hanging onto this one for a while.

I have family in New Mexico so I’ll make my yearly bike trip to Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico. It’s definitely not a cozy full size RV/trailer but it’s perfect for getting where the humans aren’t. Very comfortable for 2 plus a dog.

Truck is a Cummins swapped F350

Camper is a flatbed shell model from Bison Overland. One of the only companies that offer a blank canvass to do your own buildout.IMG_3603.jpegIMG_3723.jpegIMG_4043.jpeg

johnbryanpeters

Been building this beast for the last 2 years, sorta finished aside from some more suspension work on the list.

Was always into the van thing, building them out, explore a bit then sell. I think I’ll be hanging onto this one for a while.

I have family in New Mexico so I’ll make my yearly bike trip to Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico. It’s definitely not a cozy full size RV/trailer but it’s perfect for getting where the humans aren’t. Very comfortable for 2 plus a dog.

Truck is a Cummins swapped F350

Camper is a flatbed shell model from Bison Overland. One of the only companies that offer a blank canvass to do your own buildout.View attachment 214345View attachment 214346View attachment 214347
What time of the year do you do the trip?

02camaro

Only ever been tent camping, would be interested in seeing what other tents people are using. This Colman tent could be a little bit more refined but has been an incredible purchase for less than $100. Replacement would need to fit a twin air mattress and allow a reasonably sized human to stand atleast partially. Size/weight doesn't matter since I'm never far from my truck camping.

Attachments

• 20230517_185721.jpg
    20230517_185721.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 33
Top Bottom