Cars, it's electric! Do Do Do

I feel like alot of people will be selling their allocations.

im sure there has been a more hideous looking vehicle made, but im having a hard time thinking of one. The new pep boys hub caps are a nice touch.
Looks alot like a vw thing...

Amazing that all 4 survived. I had not seen the picture before.
aca082706ad167f49b3f155d75b66c80

Won't this make charging stations almost a monopoly for Tesla?
With adaptors you can use non-Tesla charging stations to charge up. I also wonder why legacy automaker dealers wouldn't install superchargers on their lot to bring in some foot traffic into the showroom. They already have the locations and probably the power requirements, so why not, other than the dealers are privately owned? BTW, Tesla's style of charger is one of the patents that was given away years ago. GM and Ford can copy it and make their own stations at the dealers if they wanted.

Last edited:
With adaptors you can use non-Tesla charging stations to charge up. I also wonder why legacy automaker dealers wouldn't install superchargers on their lot to bring in some foot traffic into the showroom. They already have the locations and probably the power requirements, so why not, other than the dealers are privately owned? BTW, Tesla's style of charger is one of the patents that was given away years ago. GM and Ford can copy it and make their own stations at the dealers if they wanted.
Privately owned. I think this is the issue, they don't give a shit. Plus for most legacy dealerships they don't care about the EV market, or know that people with an EV currently aren't really going to start shopping for a gas car when they pull in to charge their EV...

I lived next to Mercedes of Morristown. They put in a charger right in the front by the entrance probably because they were forced to by corporate. ALWAYS had a for-sale car blocking it, and no special "EV Parking only" type lane painting or anything.

I have to wonder how often people drove there seeing it on their car's touchscreen as a viable charger and then getting annoyed.

The laws also need to be updated, some states don't allow charging per kW because then they're classified as a utility at that point. So it complicates charging as you're paying per minute or per hookup which doesn't relate necessarily to the amount of energy being pulled.

I'm willing to bet most of the benefit of using Tesla charging stations is the ease of payment aspect more than the accessibility. You pull up and charge and don't have to worry about card-swipes, weird charges, etc.

I can't imagine the frustration of having an electric car and finding stations not in service and then having to find another one.

Privately owned. I think this is the issue, they don't give a shit. Plus for most legacy dealerships they don't care about the EV market, or know that people with an EV currently aren't really going to start shopping for a gas car when they pull in to charge their EV...

I lived next to Mercedes of Morristown. They put in a charger right in the front by the entrance probably because they were forced to by corporate. ALWAYS had a for-sale car blocking it, and no special "EV Parking only" type lane painting or anything.

I have to wonder how often people drove there seeing it on their car's touchscreen as a viable charger and then getting annoyed.

The laws also need to be updated, some states don't allow charging per kW because then they're classified as a utility at that point. So it complicates charging as you're paying per minute or per hookup which doesn't relate necessarily to the amount of energy being pulled.

I'm willing to bet most of the benefit of using Tesla charging stations is the ease of payment aspect more than the accessibility. You pull up and charge and don't have to worry about card-swipes, weird charges, etc.

I can't imagine the frustration of having an electric car and finding stations not in service and then having to find another one.
I know some people that own Rivian trucks. They said this past winter was a nightmare for range, and for finding working charge stations. The one guy around the block from me said that the Electrify America chargers really suck.
I used a Tesla charge place once for my Model 3 to see how it worked, all other charges are from home, overnight with the 220V wall charger.

I know some people that own Rivian trucks. They said this past winter was a nightmare for range, and for finding working charge stations. The one guy around the block from me said that the Electrify America chargers really suck.
I used a Tesla charge place once for my Model 3 to see how it worked, all other charges are from home, overnight with the 220V wall charger.
Yeah I remember arguing with someone who used to be on this board about charging because I made a comment how if I had an electric car I couldn't go to Kingdom Trails with an electric car. He was arguing how in Lyndonville there was a charger. I look at it and the google reviews mentioned it was out of service as the plug was broken.

Pointed out how much it would suck to be stuck in the Northeast section of Vermont and the one lonely charging station is broken.

I'm sure all this will get better, but it's going to take time.

I'm still tempted to get an electric car because literally down the street is a free charging station and the town has a couple free charging stations, but financially it makes zero sense. NC charges $140 a year extra on electric car registrations to cover the lack of gas taxes. Which makes sense but I'm currently probably not spending $140 a year in gas right now.

Seems like everyone is pushing electric cars these days. The performance that can be had is really good (tesla plaid for instance) but the range is going to be an issue for a long time until the technology and infrastructure catches up for battery capacity and fast charging stations all over the place that charge from 0 to fully charged in a few minutes. But it will come someday, I predict that gas vehicles will be the majority on the road for the next 10-15 years at least. You'll see gas vehicles for many years to come. Eventually I think it will flip and you'll see boutique gas car manufacturers who make gas powered cars for enthiusiasts.

If i was in the market i'd be all over the ford lightning

GMC professional series apparently were EPA tested for a range of 450miles, which beat GMC’s 400 mile range.

Two years and 33,500 miles later and I still like my Mustang Mach E (AWD, extended range battery). My experience is the "fast" charging infrastructure has gotten worse over the last year with broken Electrify America stations and long lines (there are a lot of EVs coming on the market). Tesla opening up their charging network might improve the situation but it will be more expensive for non-Teslas to fast charge there.

I've driven to Charlotte, NC a couple of times and multiple times to the Boston area. Takes longer with charging stops, but I knew that. Short trips like Boston are easy. Two or three charge sessions (one longer, two shorter) get me the 560 mile round trip no problem. Could probably drive all the way there without charging, but I'd get there on empty. That said, we take the gas car on most longer road trips.

Where the EV really shines is local. I can dive 250 miles locally without worrying about a charge (200 miles in the winter). If I come home on empty (0%, which never happens), it's fully charged (100%) in 10 or 11 hours using a 40 amp charger. It's a "gas" to drive and I never have to stop at gas stations or chargers.

My car now being 12 years old and 180k on it, im starting to think about getting something new....considering something electric...I'd love something like the rivian (mid sized truck) but NFW im spending that kind of money on a daily driven vehicle.

My car now being 12 years old and 180k on it, im starting to think about getting something new....considering something electric...I'd love something like the rivian (mid sized truck) but NFW im spending that kind of money on a daily driven vehicle.
Don’t do it. Enjoy the ice as long as you can. They won’t be around for long

Don’t do it. Enjoy the ice as long as you can. They won’t be around for long
I have a big block mustang with a carburetor, 4 speed, long tube headers, no power steering, no power anything.....I can enjoy the ultimate analog experience whenever I want :)

in reality, they will be as expensive as the rivian....which doesnt look like my 9 year old designed it.

Back
Top Bottom