Cars, it's electric! Do Do Do

Mahnken

Two bikes standing up? If so that could be something in the possibility bucket. The picture below isn't our car but basically what we do on our road trips with two bikes.

However primary road trip car (Our Rav4) really can't be electric due to it's need. My car however could easily be electric, especially with the free charger at the end of our street...

View attachment 204768
Laying down. But I have a feeling it might work standing up with the trunk separator removed. I'm not motivated enough to take out the kid's car seats to try it though.
We've gone to Vermont with ours. I can't remember if it was 2 or 3 stops for charging. And one there we stayed with a relative that has an outlet for their RV that we plug into to charge.
Even though it takes longer, I actually prefer that drive with the model y. We can can get there with no gas stops in the van, but driving the Tesla leaves me less exhausted.

JerseyPete

I would 100% take the Rav4 so that I don't have to deal with a tablet for a dash.
As someone driving for 40+ years, that is one thing that took some adjustment. I have always looked through the steering wheel at the gauges and the first night drive I was really thrown off by not seeing anything on the "dashboard". I know the S and X have a display, but the 3 does not.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Laying down. But I have a feeling it might work standing up with the trunk separator removed. I'm not motivated enough to take out the kid's car seats to try it though.
We've gone to Vermont with ours. I can't remember if it was 2 or 3 stops for charging. And one there we stayed with a relative that has an outlet for their RV that we plug into to charge.
Even though it takes longer, I actually prefer that drive with the model y. We can can get there with no gas stops in the van, but driving the Tesla leaves me less exhausted.
We're about 11.25 hours from our place to a parent's location in NJ if trying to do it in a straight shot with the cat in the car. Stopping for electric wouldn't really work.

You can see from all my previous posts I'm far from anti-electric and would happily have an electric car. But we're worse-case scenario with taking the road trips that people use as an excuse for not going electric.

If I was in the market to replace my Honda Fit I'd 100% go electric. But there's no way it makes sense to replace my car that's worth less than 10k with low miles with a $$ electric car that would just sit there.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
Our Rav4 rear door froze in the freezing rain this year. Never had that happen before.

I would 100% take the Rav4 so that I don't have to deal with a tablet for a dash. And we use our Rav4 for actual road trips multiple times a year where the Tesla is a no-go.

Plus you can't fit two bikes and all your gear in a Model Y. Somebody needs to make an electric car with better storage.
Same. I love our 3rd Gen RAV4 and that is our road trip vehicle also. For me it is more about usability and convenience than cost.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Are we going to continue to pass final judgement on EVs given our interpretation of their utility/convenience at this point in time?

Along with "the worst" article, my feed also included some news on LI/Ni/Cobalt recycling, scaling up, and plans to make costs approach that of mining.
With the lifecycle approach, the recycling tech development will be added to the mining costs. (interesting economics here)

While batteries don't follow moore's law, a bunch of the tech around it does.
Ramping up infrastructure probably will come close.

on car weight - really?
Sure a 9,000lb Hummer EV is a bit on the crazy/ridiculous side,
A Mercedes GL is over 5,000lbs - a CL approaches 5,000, a G approaches 6,000, as does a yukon XL
A Model Y is 4,600.
A Civic is 3,000

Steve mentioned mission. When making the 11 hours trip, two planned ~30 minute charging + overhead stops doesn't work for them.
Pick the right tool for the job - If your bikes have to be inside the car when driving - then pick a car to do it.

Signed,
the guy that had a Metro Vert and Yukon XL.

PS - I have a pic of the mtb in the metro.

Reactions: don

Mahnken

We're about 11.25 hours from our place to a parent's location in NJ if trying to do it in a straight shot with the cat in the car. Stopping for electric wouldn't really work.

You can see from all my previous posts I'm far from anti-electric and would happily have an electric car. But we're worse-case scenario with taking the road trips that people use as an excuse for not going electric.

If I was in the market to replace my Honda Fit I'd 100% go electric. But there's no way it makes sense to replace my car that's worth less than 10k with low miles with a $$ electric car that would just sit there.
Ya, I get it. I don't think I'll ever get rid of the mini van. We take that on most road trips just because of the room especially if we're bringing bikes and stuff, or more people than the 4 of us.

1TrackMind

How so? Eager to get closer to the Stone Age by any chance? Why would you spend to build an infrastructure that you can’t power anyway?
I moved from bike market crashing to here… seems more appropriate here.
Maybe, but maybe not. appliances are getting more efficient, grids are getting smarter and can shut off high load devices for short periods of time. Air conditioning is one of the biggest load on the grid, more large batteries plugged in at night could actually help even the load. Supply usually follows demand.

bucknejo

* EV Experience - 1st tire rotation for my Model Y @ ~ 8500 mi. *
  • Scheduled a mobile appointment via phone app (appointments available for as early as the next day)
  • Mobile technician texted 20 mins before arrival
  • Rotated all 4 in ~ 20 mins in my driveway
The tech, Nicole, was super friendly, checked the brakes (apparently look brand new), and answered all my random questions. It cost me $65 + tax which I'm sure lots will say is way expensive but I'm good with the cost since it's basically the only maintenance I've done in a year of ownership.

On the downside it looks like I'll only get 2 more rotations on these tires (OEM Goodyear Asymetric) most likely due to my "spirited" driving style so I'm already looking at what will be the next set. Anyone happy with theirs? I've got 20" Induction wheels (255/40R20). Maybe these will work?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
* EV Experience - 1st tire rotation for my Model Y @ ~ 8500 mi. *
  • Scheduled a mobile appointment via phone app (appointments available for as early as the next day)
  • Mobile technician texted 20 mins before arrival
  • Rotated all 4 in ~ 20 mins in my driveway
The tech, Nicole, was super friendly, checked the brakes (apparently look brand new), and answered all my random questions. It cost me $65 + tax which I'm sure lots will say is way expensive but I'm good with the cost since it's basically the only maintenance I've done in a year of ownership.

On the downside it looks like I'll only get 2 more rotations on these tires (OEM Goodyear Asymetric) most likely due to my "spirited" driving style so I'm already looking at what will be the next set. Anyone happy with theirs? I've got 20" Induction wheels (255/40R20). Maybe these will work?

$65 doesn't seem cheap, but you also didn't have to go anywhere. Personally I'd just rotate the tires myself to not deal with people in general.

Due to the weight, EVs eat tires. And oddly they love to push huge wheels with expensive tires.

one piece crank

$65 doesn't seem cheap, but you also didn't have to go anywhere. Personally I'd just rotate the tires myself to not deal with people in general.

Due to the weight, EVs eat tires. And oddly they love to push huge wheels with expensive tires.
You're not their target market. Tesla's don't even have a spare.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Donuts are few and far between. Full sized spares seem to not exist on passenger cars anymore.

It's actually a big reason for me to have snow tires. I'd rather throw my snow tire (or summer in the winter) and take my time getting a tire fixed when convenient as opposed to driving on a donut.

JerseyPete

Nice X! May I ask where you had it wrapped? I recently saw a Model S that was British Racing Green and looked great.

Last edited:

scott62

Never been a fan of low visibility colors on cars. Dark color cars tend to blend into background in the mornings and evenings. Maybe LS swap that thing with some open pipes so people can hear you coming.😎

Top Bottom