Cars, it's electric! Do Do Do

Translation....we are not making enough of these yet to invest in castings :)
Are these really considered 3D printed if they are not made out of plastic?

I would have thought that metal parts would be described as having "CNC machined" (or similar) and not "printed."

Regardless, sounds like an interesting power plant.

I would have thought that metal parts would be described as having "CNC machined" (or similar) and not "printed."

look up laser sintering, it falls under the umbrella of additive manufacturing (the technical term which is equivalent to '3d printing' )

cue @shrpshtr325 - there are 3D printing machines that print in metals

look up laser sintering, it falls under the umbrella of additive manufacturing (the technical term which is equivalent to '3d printing' )
Thanks for the tip. Good for me to look into this!

cue @shrpshtr325 - there are 3D printing machines that print in metals
Perhaps these fused metal parts are acceptable for an EV power plant, but I would assume CNC machining is still more suitable for internal combustion engines.

Perhaps these fused metal parts are acceptable for an EV power plant, but I would assume CNC machining is still more suitable for internal combustion engines.
3d printing is amazing, wonderful, fantastic and all of that stuff...but its "rapid prototyping".....its real benefit is giving me something that I can use quickly that is functional. On anything that is made in volume....castings are more precise, stronger, and WAY cheaper per unit. Machining is also cheaper, better materials, way more precise.

I love 3d printing, so im not trying to knock it...but its not the end all be all solution.

laser sintered parts are typically considered to be comparable to cast parts, so chances are that they would be fine either way.

But as @UtahJoe mentioned, not really cost effective for mass production, and still requires finish machining (just like casting)

Reactions: don
It will be many many months before I officially join in on the electric or on this case hybrid fun but I placed an order for a 2023 maverick. Looking forward to the wife getting avg 37 mpg to counter act me getting an avg 13mpg in my f250 😃

Saw an article on cost of EV's, essentially non-content about replacement battery costs. Is this a substantiated issue, vs. everyone guessing? Do you need to trade-in your EV every X-years to stay ahead the curve? Just wondering since I am an ICE fan, but realize a daily EV in is my wife's future.

Discuss...

Last edited:
Reactions: don
Saw an article on cost of EV's, essentially non-content about replacement battery costs. Is this a substantiated issue, vs. everyone guessing? Do you need to trade-in your EV every X-years to stay ahead the curve? Just wondering since I am an ICE fan, but realize a daily EV in is my wife's future.

Discuss...
Definitely worse than my E-bike battery.

one of his comments about lacking infrastructure is something i have been saying for a long time, maybe people will listen to this guy (i know, im funny)

one of his comments about lacking infrastructure is something i have been saying for a long time, maybe people will listen to this guy (i know, im funny)
I was listening to a podcast the other day with the host talking about this same thing and with Toyota not jumping into the EV market full steam like everyone else.

Environmentalists and shareholders have criticized Toyota for dragging its feet in embracing EVs, with Greenpeace putting the brand at the bottom of its ranking of global automakers’ decarbonization efforts. Critics have accused Toyota of clinging to its 25-year history with the gasoline-electric Prius hybrid, which once earned Toyota plaudits.

“The fact is: a hybrid today is not green technology,” Katherine Garcia, director of the Sierra Club’s Clean Transportation For All campaign, wrote in a blog post last month. “The Prius hybrid runs on a pollution-emitting combustion engine found in any gas-powered car.”

First off - Environmentalists AND shareholders?

And is it just me that finds it incredibly funny that there is criticism of Toyota and being green? They are well known for making very strong and reliable cars. I would love to know the green analysis/life cycle of a Toyota vs say a VW. Add in all the things like repairs, towing, parts replaced, etc. I know some models like the Tacoma are criticized for not having any updates but what if you took in the costs to revamp an entire vehicle?

I was listening to a podcast the other day with the host talking about this same thing and with Toyota not jumping into the EV market full steam like everyone else.

First off - Environmentalists AND shareholders?

And is it just me that finds it incredibly funny that there is criticism of Toyota and being green? They are well known for making very strong and reliable cars. I would love to know the green analysis/life cycle of a Toyota vs say a VW. Add in all the things like repairs, towing, parts replaced, etc. I know some models like the Tacoma are criticized for not having any updates but what if you took in the costs to revamp an entire vehicle?
Toyota/Honda specifically don't do updates for reliability.

Toyota is also in a pretty good spot with the Prius and other plug-in Hybrids that if they wanted to get into the full electric game it probably wouldn't be a huge ramp-up. They can jump in once everyone else learned their lessons and the infrastructure gets built up. Toyota/Honda may be making the wrong decision but in reality it's probably the right one for now. I will say the Hydrogen powered car thing is probably a waste of time and $$ but it may be a drop in the bucket for them.

Also, fuck anything the Sierra Club says. I'll take my advise from a mentally ill homeless person talking to themselves on the street over them.

Back
Top Bottom