Cars, it's electric! Do Do Do

I got the free trial as well and loving it so far. But I'm not sure if I'll ever pay for it. BTW the FSD subscription is now $99, down from 199.
I might consider subscribing for a month at a time when going on long road trips. I think that's where I'd find it the most useful, on highways for long periods. I found it really impressive the first time I used it, but using it the last few weeks I feel like it just gets annoying too often. I can't stand when it constantly changes my speed setpoint with every new speed limit sign. It seems to constantly want to be in the left lane when it doesn't need to be. And other small things that make me turn it off more often than not.

FSD subscription is now $99,
$99 a month? HOLY SHIT! thats absurd lol.

I have ridden in my coworkers tesla when he has used it around town....its certainly cool, but I dont know...to me its like a novelty act.....what else am I doing in the car that I can't drive? On the highway, great! but pretty much every car has adaptive CC/lane keeping now which does most of what FSD is doing in that setting.

$99 a month? HOLY SHIT! thats absurd lol.

I have ridden in my coworkers tesla when he has used it around town....its certainly cool, but I dont know...to me its like a novelty act.....what else am I doing in the car that I can't drive? On the highway, great! but pretty much every car has adaptive CC/lane keeping now which does most of what FSD is doing in that setting.

most people hate driving.....

Reactions: don
most people hate driving.....
yes, but outside of hiring a car service....you are still watching the car drive you...at least that was my experience...as in, im not playing nintendo switch while the car drives me around town. And this is all software that tesla has already put in your vehicle and you are simply going thru the paywall for....seems like alot to me for $99 a month.

Reactions: don
Hyundai made a meatless burger that costs twice as much and almost, almost could fool you it's not meat. Except you're not fooled at all.

I do understand though, it's a selling point for people who will never drive it hard. It's like everyone who gets paddle shifters thinking the have a Ferrari while never using them.

I don't see why they don't just make it sound like that crazy RC car you had as a kid, or e-dirtbikes like the Stark. Its like eating bacon flavored soy chips.

But the paddle shifters make you drive like Lewis Hamilton, don't they?

yes, but outside of hiring a car service....you are still watching the car drive you...at least that was my experience...as in, im not playing nintendo switch while the car drives me around town. And this is all software that tesla has already put in your vehicle and you are simply going thru the paywall for....seems like alot to me for $99 a month.

so you spend 8 hours trying to get your PC to "work again" - it takes me 30 seconds (I held the power switch down for 15 of them)
how much do I charge?
(i'd probably not charge you, but you know)

and there is the problem w/software. you care looking at incremental income (value) vs sunken cost + updates

take a look at what they charge for onStar. Just in case you drive off the road or the car is stolen.
the h/w is in there to track the car, but unless you paid for it, they aren't going to tell you.
of course they know where the car is.

so you spend 8 hours trying to get your PC to "work again" - it takes me 30 seconds (I held the power switch down for 15 of them)
how much do I charge?
(i'd probably not charge you, but you know)
but thats not the same, that is a service you are providing...as in, you have spent your time doing something...and time is of course money. I get tesla invested X in the development of the software....but lets also not forget that tesla has been given (as have other car companies) BILLION is government subsidies....while im not against that, I just think that Tesla is gouging the fuck out of people for software. But then they also charge for colors other than grey, so I guess you get used to it.
take a look at what they charge for onStar
ya I mean they have the same bullshit for my subaru, but im not paying for it...and its $8 a month, not $99.

as in, you have spent your time doing something.

But I just charged $150 for 30 seconds! This is really why places want you to drop it off, and they'll call you.

OnStar is obnoxiously priced.

-

what about being compensated over and over again for a stock picture/vid taken 10 years ago?
royalties on a song 50 years later? we are lucky we can sing happy b-day!
NFL wants to be paid anytime the word Superbowl is mentioned on broadcast media.

Using VPN to get passed a pay-for feed in the US

--

i'm sure someone figured out the value/willingness to pay for FSD.
Not really at the bottom of the financial ladder driving a Tesla anyway.

when someone else has it (not Mercedes) maybe the price will come down with competition.

Can you sign up and quit anytime like a streaming service? A customer was telling me how his Tesla drove him back and forth to Texas. That might be worth the one $99 charge if you can cancel next month.

OnStar is obnoxiously priced.
what about being compensated over and over again for a stock picture/vid taken 10 years ago?
royalties on a song 50 years later? we are lucky we can sing happy b-day!
NFL wants to be paid anytime the word Superbowl is mentioned on broadcast media.
All problems with a very easy solution if you ask me...

yes, most cars can come with adaptive cruise and lane keep BUT autopilot is the best, FACTS

Listening to radio and they were talking about the CT stuck pedal and the MC was going on about how he is nervous in a tesla want wants control and he goes on about these statements that are fiction. lol. He was saying yeah you can go on vacation and come back and you entire car is update and different and screen is different. LOL bro, you have to hit update first

yes, most cars can come with adaptive cruise and lane keep BUT autopilot is the best, FACTS

Listening to radio and they were talking about the CT stuck pedal and the MC was going on about how he is nervous in a tesla want wants control and he goes on about these statements that are fiction. lol. He was saying yeah you can go on vacation and come back and you entire car is update and different and screen is different. LOL bro, you have to hit update first
ya not arguing that its better, I know that it is...but FSD is $8, $10, $12,000 option depending on when it was....

And the media lives on hit pieces and trying to get everyone scared....god everyday their is some new bullshit about Boeing.

I don't understand why they put ICE sounds in an electric car, its pretty lame IMO. In an ICE performance car, the sound of the motor matches what you feel through the wheel and the seat. If you're going to make an e-performance car, own that shit. Make it all motor and drive-train whine like Porsche did with their 718 concept. Also, they need to figure out a way to make the steering suck less and these things not weigh as much as a pickup truck, otherwise I would imagine you're going to eat through expensive Z-rated rubber.
Did you listen to the podcasts from Farrah and Cammisa?

That's why these this is all bullshit. If I'm not going to actually do the driving, then I want the option to eat, have a Manhattan, and take a nap. Otherwise I'm baby sitting whoever/whatever is actually driving.

Did you listen to the podcasts from Farrah and Cammisa?
I'm more of a Chris Harris man. My opinions on e-cars comes more from my friends/family throwing their Model S's, Y's, and Mach-E's at me trying to convince me they're the best thing since canned beer, and that I should spend my hard earned $$$$ on one of those instead of a Vette, P-Car, or fast German sedan. Fast in a straight line, yes, which is fun for a minute, but that's really it.

I might consider subscribing for a month at a time when going on long road trips. I think that's where I'd find it the most useful, on highways for long periods. I found it really impressive the first time I used it, but using it the last few weeks I feel like it just gets annoying too often. I can't stand when it constantly changes my speed setpoint with every new speed limit sign. It seems to constantly want to be in the left lane when it doesn't need to be. And other small things that make me turn it off more often than not.
Well for highway driving you don't even need FSD, the their base autopilot is amazing. It does not change lanes, but I am anyways nervous with that. The real benefit is for city driving where it really helps you..
Can you sign up and quit anytime like a streaming service? A customer was telling me how his Tesla drove him back and forth to Texas. That might be worth the one $99 charge if you can cancel next month.
Yes, its like an in app (car) purchase. You just have to swipe on screen to turn on or off.

Well for highway driving you don't even need FSD, the their base autopilot is amazing. It does not change lanes, but I am anyways nervous with that. The real benefit is for city driving where it really helps you..
I tried it in Philly and really didn't like it there either, lol.
Autopilot is great, I use that constantly. FSD has some advantages, but none that could ever really justify the cost. Though, like I said, I'd consider subscribing for a month if I had a vacation planned with a ton of driving. Mostly just so I could zone out a bit and do a little more sightseeing than I usually would.

I'm more of a Chris Harris man. My opinions on e-cars comes more from my friends/family throwing their Model S's, Y's, and Mach-E's at me trying to convince me they're the best thing since canned beer, and that I should spend my hard earned $$$$ on one of those instead of a Vette, P-Car, or fast German sedan. Fast in a straight line, yes, which is fun for a minute, but that's really it.

Even Chris Harris said if you are looking at an M3, M5, Audi RS then you should add the Ioniq 5 N to the list. And the list of comments that mention he didn't say anything about the active sound and simulated gear shifts is very long - wondering why he didn't.

This week's Carmudgen show covers the Tesla Model 3 Performance. Camissa gives it good marks and recommends it over a BMW M3. His reasoning is the M3 is turbo charged, automatic and AWD which is closer to a Tesla drive feel than a RWD, NA, manual car. And Tesla does other things better (like it's ride quality on bad roads) and is cheaper in cost.

I'm the furthest thing from an electric car fan. There are 2 diesels and a few other ICE vehicles including a 5.9 Mopar in the family. I just thought the Ioniq 5 N is very interesting and worth a look at to see where things are going especially compared to the pretty boring ICE cars that are out there.

Back
Top Bottom