Chain Wax Discussion thread

rlb

What are you guys using for degreaser? My local home depot only had this on the shelf, but not sure I'm going to use it. If I'm gonna go out of my way to get something that wont cause issues with the chain I'll probably just get the Simple Green aerospace stuff, but I'm not having much luck finding that locally either.

1682540461885.png

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
What are you guys using for degreaser? My local home depot only had this on the shelf, but not sure I'm going to use it. If I'm gonna go out of my way to get something that wont cause issues with the chain I'll probably just get the Simple Green aerospace stuff, but I'm not having much luck finding that locally either.

View attachment 212344
I used that, worked fine

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's

View attachment 212344

I used mineral spirits and then denatured alcohol.

Reactions: asm

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I also ordered that flower power wax.

I don’t think I need to clean the old wax off first though. I think I can just wait for the current stuff to wear off and then apply this.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Glad to hear it. I was on the fence, it's a new chain so it'll only be in for a few minutes. Think I have everything I need now, just have to finish cleaning the cassette.
I did the soak in minerals spirits over night, the orange degreaser in a bottle or ultrasonic cleaner and then finish with acetone

rlb

I used mineral spirits and then denatured alcohol.
I did the soak in minerals spirits over night, the orange degreaser in a bottle or ultrasonic cleaner and then finish with acetone

Doing a similar approach. I've had the chain soaking in mineral spirits a few days. I'm going to do a quick wash with degreaser then denatured alcohol, blowing it out in between.

rlb

How long does the wax usually take to cool to the point where you want to pull the chain out? 1 hour? 2? I'm ready to dip, I just want to make sure I find the right time window to get it done.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
How long does the wax usually take to cool to the point where you want to pull the chain out? 1 hour? 2? I'm ready to dip, I just want to make sure I find the right time window to get it done.
If you only heat it to whatever temp they say you need, then it cools quickly. But if you get it too hot it takes a while ... 35-45 minutes?

Reactions: rlb

rlb

I'm waxed. Took quite a while to heat up, but I didn't want to overheat it so I started the crock pot on low w/o cover. Then I wound up switching to high and put the cover on because it was taking forever. No big deal cause I was doing other stuff while waiting. I think I'll skip right to high w/ the cover on next time and just keep a close eye on it.

Now I just need to finish putting it back together, waiting on some chainring bolts.

The Kalmyk

I’d be interested to see how wax holds up in todays weather?

I did a long brevet awhile back with a waxed chain where i got caught in the rain. The next day my chain was rusted out. I believe thats because i cleaned the living shit out of it with the ultrasonic and the wax just washed away. Perhaps I completely applied it on wrong? I gave up on it after that.

I like wax alot but this moved me away from it. Any suggestions?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I’d be interested to see how wax holds up in todays weather?

I did a long brevet awhile back with a waxed chain where i got caught in the rain. The next day my chain was rusted out. I believe thats because i cleaned the living shit out of it with the ultrasonic and the wax just washed away. Perhaps I completely applied it on wrong? I gave up on it after that.

I like wax alot but this moved me away from it. Any suggestions?
Extended wet is the downside and you need to dry the chain after the ride because the wax won’t prevent rust like oil does. In a situation where you need to continue a ride the next day after rain, wax just isn’t the play. This is the reason I won’t be waxing my rain bike.

It has nothing to do with how to prepped the chain.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I did my mtb and road bike yesterday.
I started by cleaning my cassettes, chainrings and pulley wheels. I use gasoline for this as it works fast. I then sprayed simple green on them, let it soak for a minute or sow and hosed it off. I dunked them in acetone after that. This was the most time consuming IMO.

I went with new Red and XX1 chains. I used the other citrus degreaser from HD followed by acetone. I bought a used instant off fb and used SILCA wax. hooked the chain onsite bent spokes, melter the wax in the pot(10min or so) and put the chains in. I let them normalize the temp to the wax temp , swirled around a bunch of times, shut the pot off and waited for the light skim on top(20 min or so after taking the pot out and setting iron my bench).I hung the chains for about 10 minutes and they were ready. Chains are back on bikes and ready to go. It was an extra minute or so to seat the master links in the wax enough to get them clipped. Curious to try this out.

JonFern

Formerly: send jon ferns
Waxed 2 chains today - 1 is a low-mile XTR chain off of my Mojo, and the other is a new XT chain for a new build I'm collecting parts for.

Took the chain and cassette off of the Mojo over the weekend; chain received 3 baths in mineral spirits (over 2 days) until it ran clean and left nothing on a rag when wiping it down between baths. Once clean, a quick rinse in denatured alcohol and hung to dry. The cassette came off and got cleaned with mineral spirits and a brush, same for the derailleur pulleys. Chain ring I left installed and cleaned with a rag.

I used the Silca secret chain wax in the sous vide bag, so didn't bother with a crock pot. Heated up in a pot of boiling water in about ~15 mins, then put the chains in, removed from heat and agitated them a bit in the wax. Probably another 10 or 15 mins until the wax started to skin over and the chains could come out of the bag and hang dry. Sealed up the bag and its ready for the next time I need to wax them.

waxed chains.jpg

ebarker9

I guess I'll have to try waiting to remove the chains until the wax is cooling enough to start solidifying. That hasn't been part of my process but I guess it makes sense.

rlb

I left my chain in the wax way too long and a crapload came off when I started running it, plus it was a major pita to thread into the derailleur.

Even better, this was a brand new chain on a drivetrain swap and I had not cut it yet (nor did I have a reference to go by). Lesson learned, I should have set it up dry to cut the chain to the proper length first. It's all broken in and flexible now that I've done a few spins around to block. I just about have this bike put back together to go for a proper ride.

ebarker9

I've been wrapping the chain around a section of PVC pipe to break up the wax right after application, but can imagine that it would be a giant pain if there were a ton on there.

Top Bottom