Chain Wax Discussion thread

Im not riding in 2 hours of the rain. I am of no help here lol

I'm more focused on hosing off the bike after it gets a little muddy, so I'd be interested to hear what you guys are doing. My first thought is to pull the rear wheel and hang the chain as far out of the way as possible.

I'm more focused on hosing off the bike after it gets a little muddy, so I'd be interested to hear what you guys are doing. My first thought is to pull the rear wheel and hang the chain as far out of the way as possible.
I don’t hose unless it’s really nasty. If I do, I get the chain went then blow the water out with an air compressor.

Pancake compressor has been on my list of things to buy for a while, guess it's time to bump it up!

I keep my bike very clean, washing or rinsing it off after almost every ride that gets any sort of excess dirt on it. That includes rinsing the chain with a spray of water and blow dry with compressed air. Even after that, a wipe with a paper towel reveals wax still on the chain. At that point, I reapply the drip wax, everything stays clean. the wax does not rinse off with water.

Last edited:
At that point, I use reapply the drip wax, everything stays clean. the wax does not rinse off with water.

This is helpful. My worry was more about rusting the chain vs rinsing the wax off, but it seems like the consensus is to blow out the chain w/ air and things should be fine.

Anyone have experience with the harbor freight quiet models? They seem to be about the same price as a "regular" from home depot.

Correction: definitely more expensive, I need to cross-shop it a bit more

Anyone have experience with the harbor freight quiet models? They seem to be about the same price as a "regular" from home depot.

Correction: definitely more expensive, I need to cross-shop it a bit more

No direct experience but the reviews seem good and I haven't seen any horror stories about them. I have this from HD mostly because I had a gift certificate to use:

It's been ok but I seem to have a small leak from the regulator so I sometimes have to mess around with that. Also, the on/off switch is not the most convenient thing in the world although I imagine they made it so that it wouldn't accidentally get shut off on a job site.

Reactions: rlb
an oil filled compressor will be quieter than an oil less compressor, but may also be more money/ more capacity than you want to speed/need.

Reactions: rlb
What size Crockpot is everyone using? Less than 3qt or 3-5qt. Looking at what's available at Wallyworld.

What size Crockpot is everyone using? Less than 3qt or 3-5qt. Looking at what's available at Wallyworld.
I never used a crock pot, but I believe most feel it takes a long time to melt the wax. A small Instant Pot is recommended most but I went a different route with an electric grill/hot pot.

Tayama TRMC-40RS

I use the grill plate instead of the pot since it's just deep enough to have the chain submerged in the melted wax. It melts the wax in minutes on high.

Last edited:
Links not working on this end.
1707841181233.png

Back
Top Bottom