CLEAN YOUR CAMELBAKS PEEPS

These are my favorites

I value your opinion, can you expand more? I want some 1 liter jams and see people saying the Zefal ones are fragile. Do you find these to be durable?

Do you find these to be durable?

Not very durable. But cheap and light?

IMG_0356.jpeg

can you give me a detailed report on how that happened before i pull the trigger and throw out my other bottles (or TDF them on future races)

I wish they sold water bottles with lids without a drinking spout. Most of my rides I find I just unscrew it every time on mountain bike rides due to mud on the cap anyway and only drinking when stopped.

During previous bottle purges I get rid of anything that isn't clear so I can see if it's collecting grossness on the inside. If it wasn't for the wife bringing home free opaque water bottles from events this would work well.

@Mitch Just buy a box of denture cleaning tabs. Same thing, lifetime supply in one box for cheap.

I'm sure that I've looked this up before, but are there multiple styles or generations of Podium lid? I've tried taking mine apart to clean, but haven't had much luck.

I'm sure that I've looked this up before, but are there multiple styles or generations of Podium lid? I've tried taking mine apart to clean, but haven't had much luck.
Yes. I know I have 2 different styles here. I'm sure there are more.

I wish they sold water bottles with lids without a drinking spout. Most of my rides I find I just unscrew it every time on mountain bike rides due to mud on the cap anyway and only drinking when stopped.

During previous bottle purges I get rid of anything that isn't clear so I can see if it's collecting grossness on the inside. If it wasn't for the wife bringing home free opaque water bottles from events this would work well.

@Mitch Just buy a box of denture cleaning tabs. Same thing, lifetime supply in one box for cheap.
The standard for hiking seems to be the ubiquitous Nalgene bottle, although you may need to get special bottle cages. I'm not sure if Nalgene makes a bottle that fits in a standard cycling bottle cage.

Elite and polar bottles are by far the easiest to clean the caps. Bivo bottles are also awesome and last forever, but they’re metal and tend to rattle a little.
Thank you for doing the research for me Germy. Polar bottles on order.

Retiring my Podium Chills, even this one of a kind OH branded one my guy @Mitch made for me
IMG_8602.jpeg

Yes, but not after every use. Obviously it dosent matter, that space fulls with bacteria.
I think it's time to replace them all. My wife will be happy because we have a whole kitchen draw just for my water bottles. I remember seeing a way way to clean the hydration bladders with a dissolving pill. Maybe need to drop the caps in a bucket of boiling water and those pills?
Funny thing was I was in Florida and in Ross's, a cheaper then Marshall's store and they had Podium Bottles for 5 bucks. I was gonna get a bunch but didn't feel like packing them home.
CamelBak Cleaning Tablets
View attachment 238970
I use polident denture tabs. Good enough for my nightguard and works great in bladders and bottles.

The standard for hiking seems to be the ubiquitous Nalgene bottle, although you may need to get special bottle cages. I'm not sure if Nalgene makes a bottle that fits in a standard cycling bottle cage.

they certainly used to make one (i havent looked recently) but it was a flip top so not something i would want for biking

I use polident denture tabs. Good enough for my nightguard and works great in bladders and bottles.
I haven't gone through my collection yet but I'm going ti find another bacteria filled cap and use one of @jmanic denture tabs. I'll see how that goes. On another note, a couple of my bikes no longer fit the full bottles in the cage, I need the short ones, which I only have 2 right now.

Unless you're leaving liquid in the bottles/packs while stored, that black gunk is mold, not bacteria, and not pathogenic. I avoid this entire thing by using just water to rehydrate during a ride. Unless you're riding 3+ hours in hot weather, you don't really need any type of electrolytic replacement. All of those "during activity" drinks usually have osmolarity (if you mix it right) that's too high for most bacteria, but contain the perfect balance of nutrients to grow mold if there's any residue left somewhere.

can you give me a detailed report on how that happened before i pull the trigger and throw out my other bottles (or TDF them on future races)
I took @jShort recommendation and got the polar bottles. I didn't get the other brand because the main selling point was being light weight and I don't think they had a jet valve type thing (which polar does). Polar have been good but I did find a similar science project in the valves but they were easier to clean. It is worth the cleaning once and awhile for the jet valve.

Back
Top Bottom