CLEAN YOUR CAMELBAKS PEEPS

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I clean and wash out my Camelbak bottles all the time. Today I decided to to go deep. Man it's a mess in there. Now I need to go through all my bottles. Or just chuck them.
That black is not a part of the cap.
20240522_215810.jpg
20240522_215822.jpg
20240522_215905.jpg

So I clean and wash out my Camelbak bottles all the time. Today I decided to to go deep. Man it's a mess in there. Now I need to go through all my bottles. Or just chuck them.
That black is not a part of the cap.
View attachment 238959View attachment 238960View attachment 238961
I had a pair of camelback bottles and this is the exact reason I got rid of them. Too many parts to take apart and clean.

Even in a dishwasher the cap and rings in the mouthpiece don’t get clean it holds water and you end up with this black mold muck in there.

The Polar bottles I have for the last year the mouthpiece is much easier to install and remove and it’s only 2-3 pieces that come apart easy to clean.

I discovered the same starting in my (specialized purist) bottles. I tried a few things to disassemble and clean them but, in the end, decided to do a full refresh on bottles at the start of this year.....

I like the fact that you can disassemble and clean the camelback bottles like in the video above, might have to convert to them the next time I need to start fresh.

I’ll also mention that we have these in the shop and people have been buying them. I haven’t tried the steel or ti yet, but the demand has been surprising.

I discovered the same starting in my (specialized purist) bottles. I tried a few things to disassemble and clean them but, in the end, decided to do a full refresh on bottles at the start of this year.....

I like the fact that you can disassemble and clean the camelback bottles like in the video above, might have to convert to them the next time I need to start fresh.
Oh? I am a huge fan of those purist bottles recently. You can't get the mouth piece off at all?

You should see our shower
Can you please come clean?

I wash this bottle type like once every 6 months…. Daily it with water only.

I use the insulated Camelback bottles and I agree the cleaning is the most annoying thing about them. It definitely makes me hesitant to put anything but water in them. It also makes them annoying to use off road when they can get caked with dust and mud. But I mainly bought them for road riding on hot days when the ambient temperature can make water heat up to what feels like boiling in a few minutes.

Do you put them in the dishwasher?
Yes, but not after every use. Obviously it dosent matter, that space fulls with bacteria.
I think it's time to replace them all. My wife will be happy because we have a whole kitchen draw just for my water bottles. I remember seeing a way way to clean the hydration bladders with a dissolving pill. Maybe need to drop the caps in a bucket of boiling water and those pills?
Funny thing was I was in Florida and in Ross's, a cheaper then Marshall's store and they had Podium Bottles for 5 bucks. I was gonna get a bunch but didn't feel like packing them home.
CamelBak Cleaning Tablets
Screenshot_20240523_072128_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I prefer the MTBNJ one that's clear because it stares you in the face if it isn't clean. Black bottles hide all that gunk.
So those are actually what clued me in to the issue......I figured if they were getting grungy then my older black lids couldn't be any better.
Oh? I am a huge fan of those purist bottles recently. You can't get the mouth piece off at all?
I designed and 3d printed an ejector but it was a pain in the ass and I wasn't about to do that on the regular. As far as I know, there isn't a nice way to get them out although I haven't tried with the moflo valve yet.

I’ll also mention that we have these in the shop and people have been buying them. I haven’t tried the steel or ti yet, but the demand has been surprising.

I got a steel one and like it, I'll probably get a couple Ti bottles eventually. I haven't used plastic bottles in years though. Been using these klean kanteen stainless bottles: https://www.kleankanteen.com/products/water-bottle-classic-27-oz
The camelbaks are way nicer.
Also, any painted stainless bottle is gonna start looking ugly after one ride. Bottle cages start scratching the paint right away, especially if using off-road.

Here is the newer lid.

This is the only system we use in the house.

Now and again I take all the lids apart and clean 🧽 em all.

The real issue is the “jet valve” which really collects all the junk as you can see in the OP pictures. The only way to get that clean is to take that apart like he did in the first post.

This newer lid design seems to be easier to take apart but IMO still has a lot of pieces that are not easy to do so.

Elite and polar bottles are by far the easiest to clean the caps. Bivo bottles are also awesome and last forever, but they’re metal and tend to rattle a little.

These are my favorites. The top pops right off and super easy to clean.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom