Dickerson Mine Preserve Conditions

New blowdowns here. One small one medium.
IMG_9406.jpeg

Glad I saw this before riding there today. Conditions were great except for that ivy-riddled tree. Had the whole place to myself.

Reactions: SAM
Current log report (all probably need a chainsaw):
  • One on Marty's Trail. If you take the dirt road up from Marty's shop, go right/counterclockwise from where the trail intersects the dirt road and you'll get to it
  • One on the white(?) nearish to the long log skinny that's perpendicular to the trail. This is the one wrapped in vines.
  • One right at the start of the trail across the street from the school

Current log report (all probably need a chainsaw):
  • One on Marty's Trail. If you take the dirt road up from Marty's shop, go right/counterclockwise from where the trail intersects the dirt road and you'll get to it
  • One on the white(?) nearish to the long log skinny that's perpendicular to the trail. This is the one wrapped in vines.
  • One right at the start of the trail across the street from the school
I'm not sure where the perpendicular long skinny is... Can you mark up a trail map? Thx.

Pretty sure our local beaver got these and then went to stephens and got a few over there also. Yeah for 🦫

I highlighted the three in yellow. All approximate and all still there as of yesterday afternoon.

View attachment 223384
Thanks! These blowdown reports are key to getting the Sawyers on it rapidly. Location Images like this help with mission planning greatly!! If in the woods, bring up Trailforks (or your preferred GPS app), update your curser location, zoom out a little so there's some context of the location within the trail system and take a screenshot! Pictures of the issue itself are always helpful too, so we know what we're dealing with. Might influence the chainsaw selection and manpower needed. Otherwise a good verbal description is fine (ex. 15" diameter tree, 3' suspended off the trail). Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks! These blowdown reports are key to getting the Sawyers on it rapidly. Location Images like this help with mission planning greatly!! If in the woods, bring up Trailforks (or your preferred GPS app), update your curser location, zoom out a little so there's some context of the location within the trail system and take a screenshot! Pictures of the issue itself are always helpful too, so we know what we're dealing with. Might influence the chainsaw selection and manpower needed. Otherwise a good verbal description is fine (ex. 15" diameter tree, 3' suspended off the trail). Thanks again!

Uploading a pic and report to trailforks works too! Assuming someone is checking

All reporting is good, don't let me stop anybody from reporting in TF. Personally speaking, I don't really drill down into the individual Trail reports of Trailforks. As strong as that app is for navigation, it really doesn't seem to be built with Trail Maintainers in mind. (or I just suck at unlocking Trailfork's true potential). Easiest for me to monitor various threads in MTBNJ and Facebook's "NJ Mountain biking" for issues in Dickerson Mine, Stephens, Deer Park.

All reporting is good, don't let me stop anybody from reporting in TF. Personally speaking, I don't really drill down into the individual Trail reports of Trailforks. As strong as that app is for navigation, it really doesn't seem to be built with Trail Maintainers in mind. (or I just suck at unlocking Trailfork's true potential). Easiest for me to monitor various threads in MTBNJ and Facebook's "NJ Mountain biking" for issues in Dickerson Mine, Stephens, Deer Park.

I'm an admin, so it may be different for me. When a report is made, the coords of the pic are used to locate the issue.
a zoomable map is then available. Can also move the pin around as suggested, in case the phone put the pic a couple towns away....
Not sure if "navigate to the pin" is in there. but then local knowledge probably would out-route the computer.

Some of the things discussed above weren't quite adding up, so I dropped into DM today, referencing Goldbar's map to see if everything was actually taken care of. I cleared the one by the school. I finally put 2 &2 together and realized that I already cleared the ivy covered one on White last Friday. And I got a couple of things off of Marty's trail, one being a fat stump jutting out into the trail, and another being an 8" diameter log horizontally suspended 2' high across the trail, right at the lower trailhead. As far as I know, I'm all caught up in DM! Then I headed over to Stephens to clear 4 big new blockages.

What are the chances the area will be rideable tomorrow. I'm in central jersey and it's been raining here alot. Nothing here is rideable. Wondering about this area. I would like to check it out before the endurance race.

What are the chances the area will be rideable tomorrow. I'm in central jersey and it's been raining here alot. Nothing here is rideable. Wondering about this area. I would like to check it out before the endurance race.
This place drains really well it didn’t rain much up here at all today.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions