Digital SLR?

southernerinnj

I know we have a multitude of shutter bugs running around the site and thought I would ask their opinion. I'm interested in getting a Digital SLR camera to use. I really do not want to break the bank on this because I have bike purchases in mind soon. I'm not looking to get into pro photography, but my point and shoot is lacking in shutter speed. Also it seems to take forever between shots even when set on continuous shots. It does for crap on high speed shots.

Here is kind of what I'm looking for:
Budget: No more than $800. From my research leaves alot of models out there just not the really high end ones.

Needs: Something that will do well with high speed action (ie MTB's in the woods), won't die at the first bump, or crap out if it gets a little damp.

Any suggestions?
Thank you for your help ahead of time

Last edited:
We bought a canon a few months back for around $600, I will check the model when I get home.

At that level you're talking the lower end SLR bodies which are all plastic. I think they should be fine though unless you're gonna splash a lot of water on it or something. the lens choice tends to be more important than body choice for picture quality. This is the combo I've been recommending to anyone who asks me:

Canon XS or XSi

Lens: http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-17-70mm...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1224940015&sr=1-1

There's also a Canon 50mm F/1.8 lens that goes for about $80-90. Pretty good bang for the buck.

You may also want to look into the Olympus SLRs. They take good pictures and bit less expensive than Canon/Nikon.

I don't know how helpful this tip is, but, on the day of the beginner's clinic at Allaire, there were two guys riding around taking pictures all day of just about everything. I dont remember what their names were or what kind/type of cameras they had, but they were riding with them all day and I know they were getting banged around on their stem and handlebars. If anyone knows their names or how to contact them to find out what camera equipment they had, maybe this will be helpful for Brandon...

I am a Nikon fan. You can try mine next time I see you to see if you like it.

This brings me to another question in my research I really couldn't tell the difference in these.

Here's an article that explains the differences:

http://www.dpnotes.com/canon-xsi-450d-vs-canon-xs-1000d/

Are the differences worth the extra $100-150 bucks? For someone who really gets into their gadgets, probably. For the casual user, probably not. Will it offer some conveniences? Probably. Will you see a visible (to the naked eye) difference in your photo quality? Probably not.

Photography is more about the photographer than the the equipment. I've seen people with far worse equipment than me take far better photos than me. Kinda like riding a bike ;)

Last edited:
Brandon

Canon since came out with the T1i (aka 500D). This camera is better than anything else anyone has in your price range.

This is the deal, cam plus good starter lens for $809. Game over. Close the thread (I never say that because it's kind of dorky, but this is warranted).

The lens is image-stabilized, and decent quality. Once you get hooked, you'll spend more money on lenses than bikes, but this will do nicely until that time

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=613613&is=REG

Free shipping no tax.

If you need a side by side, click here.

Basically, versus the previous champ XSi, here are the improvements.

* Higher resolution sensor (15.1 vs 12.2 effective megapixels)
* Extended ISO range up to ISO 12800 Kush note - you can basically take good pictures in very very low light
* HD video capability
* New 3.0 inch 920K pixels screen
* Adjustable noise reduction and highlight tone priority
* Face Detection in Live View
* Peripheral Illumination Correction
* HDMI output
* Larger buffer in continuous shooting
* Digic 4 style menu design

I can explain to you what all that means if you like, but trust me, its a boatload of good. I wish I was shopping for a camera.

Last edited:
In that price range the Nikon's are a zillion times better built. They might not win on paper but it's a better product.
check out the d3000, d5000 or save up a bit more for the d90. The d90 will give you HUGE room to grow if you fall in love with photography like I did. I used my d80 WAY beyond it's intended use for years.
And if you do happen to shoot all day in raining mud sand, and jam it up Nikon fixes your crap no questions asked and even pays for return shipping. Turn around is FAST too since the repair facility is in Long Island.

Go to the store and play with all the cameras. I personally find Canon's controls to be retarded, and the bodies feel like fisher price. But hey, maybe you'll like them. Even Nikon's bottom of the line SLR is a very very solid piece.

In that price range the Nikon's are a zillion times better built. They might not win on paper but it's a better product.
check out the d3000, d5000 or save up a bit more for the d90. The d90 will give you HUGE room to grow if you fall in love with photography like I did.

Even Nikon's bottom of the line SLR is a very very solid piece.

Luke - I've always liked Nikon, and even though I recognize your dollar can go pretty far with Canon these days, I'm pretty much just looking at Nikons for myself for better or worse. What are the main limitations with the bottom of the line digital SLRs -- D40, D60 etc -- for a real amateur who just wants fantastic photos of the kids?

They are difficult to use with manual controls and the lack of focus points make them difficult for action shots.
If you are going to buy an SLR, your primary objective is to use it in manual mode or priority mode. Anything auto will just be a waste of money. Specs on cameras really mean nothing anymore, it's all about control

They are difficult to use with manual controls and the lack of focus points make them difficult for action shots.
If you are going to buy an SLR, your primary objective is to use it in manual mode or priority mode. Anything auto will just be a waste of money. Specs on cameras really mean nothing anymore, it's all about control

Thanks. So is the D3000 pretty much the lowest level you'd recommend?

I haven't really looked at that one yet but that is an awesome price according to their website. That camera came out like yesterday or something. I'd get that and save up for the new 35mm f/1.8dx lens, I think it's like $300. The lens it comes with will get you by, but the 35mm one will get you professional quality portraits and let you shoot in pretty low light. It just has no zoom at all, it's fixed.
The 3000 actually has 11 points of focus which is a big improvement over the 3 that the d40 had.
I just wish they gave you a dedicated speed dial and aperture dial like the d90 has. You have to use a function button or something for aperture on the d3000. Not a huge deal though.
The d5000 has the CMOS sensor which makes low light work a lot better though.

whatever you do do not buy a kit lens, this is a bad mistake to make you will not be happy with it's performance, especially in lower light. Start with a prime in the 50 or 35 range with a wide aperture, and yes, buy canon. case closed

I'm going to go play with all the options this weekend as much as I can and make my call via that. They all seem to have their advantages and disadvantages.

Thank all of you for your thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated!

whatever you do do not buy a kit lens, this is a bad mistake to make you will not be happy with it's performance, especially in lower light. Start with a prime in the 50 or 35 range with a wide aperture, and yes, buy canon. case closed

a sharp expensive prime for a beginner is a waste of money. You don't realize the power of a good prime until you learned how to use the camera, how to frame the shot, what lighting means, and of course postprocessing. Sort of like carbon fiber bikes ;).

Although the 50 1.8 is a musthave for $60.

Came up with another question in my searching. How to carry it into the woods. I see there are a ton of options for packs Is there anything specific to look for? I'm guessing a good weatherproof case is the most important thing to look at.

Is a backpack a safe way to take it on rides with me?

These days I pretty much use bottles unless I'm going to be out for large periods of time and I would hazard to say carrying it in a camelbak would be a no-no.

If I bought a Nikon DSLR body, can I use my old school fully manual Nikkor lenses in a full manual mode on the camera?

Back
Top Bottom