discuss electric bikes

BTW is there any problem loading cargo bike like the Felt cargo bike or Yuba bikes on a hitch rack because of the long wheelbase?

I ride over the GWB and sometimes I get on protected bike lanes. I think I would get stopped real quick by Port Authority Police or other if it resembled anything like a moto

My greenway KOM was undone by someone doing 53 mph. I just received my last city KOM defeat two weeks ago, which was dear to me as it took me 8 tries. I was beaten by 22 seconds, the ebike strava slayers are on a mission.

My greenway KOM was undone by someone doing 53 mph. I just received my last city KOM defeat two weeks ago, which was dear to me as it took me 8 tries. I was beaten by 22 seconds, the ebike strava slayers are on a mission.
I thought ebikes maxed out at 20 mph.

Very cool jdog.

Do you know what is the best? BB drive, read hub, front hub?

I would love to like in a place like that video.

So disappointed they stopped making the Kona Ute Electric (cargo bike)! They are hard to find. One was on ebay a couple years ago but I haven't seen one since (second hand)!

I think BB drive is where it's at. You can run any wheels you want. The center of mass is in the middle of the bike and it rides more like a regular bike.

I have seen Motos and quads in Harlem
We did a ride 10 of us in full Enduro gear 4 years ago , it was pretty cool ripping around the city , we were not aggressive just cruising or riding wheelies . People looked at us like we were crazy . I have heard talk of Rouge enduros in the city

I have a felt 29er with the bosh bb based system.

I have been using it for over a year and it is really fun

Cannondale has licensed this system too.

Charge time is reasonably quick and ride distance seems to be about 35 miles on a single charge.

View attachment 29193 View attachment 29194
I am typically pulling one of the 2 trailers shown. It really has some pulling power and it can easily move my 200 lbs and either of the trailers. The tool version is well over 120lbs loaded.

This thing is a lifesaver after digging for 3 hours.

They don't have enough torque to wheelspin on the dirt. I am sure this is by design.

More e bikes were sold in Germany than pedal bikes in 2014.

Felt also makes a fat bike version

People love to hate these things, but I think they are harmless and fun. As someone who rides Moto, this is no motorcycle. It tops out at 19.9mph and it weighs a million lbs.

We sell the commuter versions too.

They are coming in a big way and the bike industry as a whole had already embraced them.

I can absolutely crush traffic and average 20+ mph and barely break a sweat. I can also regulate the power output and get sweaty if I like.

Let the flaming begin.

This is the felt cargo bike which may be right up your alley.

Wishing I had this for Sterling now.

I did a loop on a FS e-bike in Moab. Sure it's cool going fast as hell up hill, but it handles like shit with the extra air in the tires and suspension and forget about having a fun, flickable bike. Not for me.

i saw a video that they had an e-bike race at sea otter. that was cool wood participate

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/turbo-levo/turbo-levo-fsr-expert-6fattie/113964

There is no doubt we we see these in the woods more and more over the next years.

I use my e-bike mostly for trail building, where I usually pull a 50+ lb trailer full of tools.

I have a hard time picking a side on this issue. One one hand these are certainly more than bikes, but not quite motorcycles as they are only pedal assisted. They will get more people in the woods which puts more pressure on the trails.

Having ridden one a bunch, I can say they are pretty fun, but they are kinda like taking the last girl standing to the prom.. You might feel guilty and dirty for doing so.

Personally I don't see any increase in trail impact other than the # of users and possibly some increased uphill speed. You will still be way way faster going dh on your regular bike. These feel sorta sketchy and a bit scary going dh. My personal non-scientific findings are that the trail can't tell the difference between these and a regular pedal bike.

I would love to share some time in the woods with some people who might never otherwise get out to see what is out there. BUT here is the biggest issue I see: you run out of battery 15 miles into the woods and you are screwed. This is especially true if you lack the fitness to get out on your own. This means you call 911. Then we have a real mess on our hands.

In truth, we have probably already passed a get of those in the woods and they will only get lighter and less outwardly different looking than any other bike.

I question the notion that this will get more people into the woods. If someone wants to get out there, they will, an ebike will not be the thing that breaks down the last barrier that prevented them from enjoying the outdoors. I can see a scenario though where someone will get in way over their heads very quickly on one, and it will be their first and last time out.

Back
Top Bottom