Gas powered bikes?

I am on my second Triumph Street Triple(2018 765R) and I would say something like a Yamaha MT-07 would be a great beginner bike. It's got enough power that it's not a dog, but won't get you into any trouble. Stick with a Japanese brand IMO, as I have a few friends who have Harleys and just cruisers in general, who wished they had purchased a major Japanese brand, both for reliability, parts ....
I think that question was asked 12 years ago....

Is this a piece of crap? Never heard of the brand. It's been sitting here for 2 days now - right on highway 41 at an entrance to a new community. I rode by yesterday and figured the owner ran into the woods to take a piss but apparently not the case.

1000001924.jpg

Is this a piece of crap? Never heard of the brand. It's been sitting here for 2 days now - right on highway 41 at an entrance to a new community. I rode by yesterday and figured the owner ran into the woods to take a piss but apparently not the case.

View attachment 215111
An American attempt to make something that is not $25,000 cruiser. if you ask me - they suck big time. Their adventure model was nicknamed "Useless" by the community. As with any other marginal brand there are some die-hards, but they are very few

I worked with a guy who had a Buell and it had some odd features. Oil running through the swingarm and HUGE rotors.
As a streetbike it wasn't bad, it had potential, however Harley kind of screwed Eric Buell with their mismanagement of the brand.

An American attempt to make something that is not $25,000 cruiser. if you ask me - they suck big time. Their adventure model was nicknamed "Useless" by the community. As with any other marginal brand there are some die-hards, but they are very few
There used to be a guy at my track days that ran an XB12R, and it definitely did not suck. The only place he lost time to the rest of us was on the straights because we outpowered him with our 14k redlines. That bike could turn and put the power down.

There are some Buell's models that are cool, unfortunately that isn't one of them. It's a Blast, which was their attempt at an entry level bike. Not worth much.
ya they were different, but some of them were pretty cool, I thought anyway
buell-lightning-buell-firebolt-buyers-guide000.ashx

Be fun to have, but parts might be challenging. Then again there's people on this board making Bimota's run, so anything can happen!
Nah, that's a standard air-cooled Harley Twin, zillions of parts/mods available. And if any other parts need replacing, it means you crashed, and you have bigger problems.

ya they were different, but some of them were pretty cool, I thought anyway
buell-lightning-buell-firebolt-buyers-guide000.ashx

Would have been really cool if they could have lightened up the motor from the V-Rod and put that in here, or some evolution of the motor from the VR1000.

So. My neighbor (knows nothing about motorcycles) comes over and says
"Hey, I saw a yellow motorcycle sitting outside over at the apartments."
"K"
"It said Ducati on it"
"Oh yeah?"
"it says 748 on the side"
"Wait, what?"
So it's a 2000-2002 era 748. Been sitting outside, uncovered for years. 33,000 miles. Monoposto S. It probably needs everything, Every body panel has some nonsense, tank is likely full of vanish or rust, tires battery etc, fork seals are bad to the point of rusting apart, and this generation of motor has known problems besides just the belt work. Guy bought it new and "knows what he has".
They're worth decent money in nice shape but it's far from it right now. I didn't even make him an offer although a grand or two is all I'd pay. I'd love to have it, bucket list bike for me and I work at a body shop so paint/body ain't bad, but it could be a huge project if the motor is junk.
What say you all?

Attachments

• 2C46FDC3-5912-4F64-AB66-B9BD60A11DF0.jpeg
    2C46FDC3-5912-4F64-AB66-B9BD60A11DF0.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 23
  • CEFA7F21-5286-42C4-94F1-1E15D8EA5353.jpeg
    CEFA7F21-5286-42C4-94F1-1E15D8EA5353.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 05625786-4780-4BF8-93B7-567E56014B64.jpeg
    05625786-4780-4BF8-93B7-567E56014B64.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 22
  • BCA97C48-A5CA-4098-A2A4-A96408CC65C1.jpeg
    BCA97C48-A5CA-4098-A2A4-A96408CC65C1.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 24
"K"
"It said Ducati on it"
"Oh yeah?"
"Wait, what?"
So it's a 2000-2002 era 748. Been sitting outside, uncovered for years. 33,000 miles. Monoposto S. It probably needs everything, Every body panel has some nonsense, tank is likely full of vanish or rust, tires battery etc, fork seals are bad to the point of rusting apart, and this generation of motor has known problems besides just the belt work. Guy bought it new and "knows what he has".
They're worth decent money in nice shape but it's far from it right now. I didn't even make him an offer although a grand or two is all I'd pay. I'd love to have it, bucket list bike for me and I work at a body shop so paint/body ain't bad, but it could be a huge project if the motor is junk.
What say you all?
I would pass, even though nothing sounds like a Ducati.

I miss my VStrom and to make matters worse, my son now says he is interested in bikes.
I may be looking at the Vulcan S 650 with ABS. I'd rather spend the time and money on an eMTB.
I sold the Strom for all the right reasons and now my son throws a wrench in the works.

"K"
"It said Ducati on it"
"Oh yeah?"
"Wait, what?"
What say you all?
The problem with the 748 is the existence of the 998, and to a lesser extent every contemporary 600cc super sport. For comparisons sake, every GSX-R 600 or 750, or R6 of the same era absolutely smokes that bike, even if you poured $$$ into it. Sure it handles well, but we used to pass these things at the track, in the turns, like they were standing still. Unless it was low miles and well maintained (that poor bike looks unloved), pass.

I miss my VStrom and to make matters worse, my son now says he is interested in bikes.
I may be looking at the Vulcan S 650 with ABS. I'd rather spend the time and money on an eMTB.
I sold the Strom for all the right reasons and now my son throws a wrench in the works.

Kawasaki just released the Eliminator today - not on showroom floors but a nice slightly smaller cruiser.

The Vulcan S is a nice bike - like a sport cruiser. And the adjustable fit is sweet.

@extremedave if the price was right I would do it. Used bike market is softening a lot too, so patience can pay.

FTR I’m making a really poor bike decision this week, so if you need company in stupid, I’m already halfway there.

If it makes you feel any better I kinda regret not buying your V-strom.

I agree it’s not the cutting edge of sport tech but it’s more the looks and sound. IMHO one the best looking bikes ever. I’m looking at it like a neglected Ferrari which is never a good idea. Plus the guy probably wants real money for it. Sigh. Such a shame to let something like that sit and rot.

Last edited:

View attachment 215111
Buell has a Harley engine and Eric Buell designed chassis. It was a separate company but I think they went Chapter 11 a long time ago.

Is that normal for a bike to lurch forward slightly when starter button is pressed? After the start it is fine and not trying to lurch until I release the clutch halfway. (Honda CRF450L I got used). Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom