How the hell are we supposed to retire?

I'm super interested in the Villages in Florida and went down a rabbit hole a few weeks ago learning about. The good and bad.

A bit early for you isn't it? :)

I could see wintering there but living in FL all year would probably be like living in hell.

Something like the villages makes a lot of sense for people that want to retire to a new place but have an active life and meet new people. I've said earlier in this thread that one hard part of retiring to a fresh place is starting all over with meeting new people.

Not enough mountain biking...

I could see wintering there but living in FL all year would probably be like living in hell.

Something like the villages makes a lot of sense for people that want to retire to a new place but have an active life and meet new people. I've said earlier in this thread that one hard part of retiring to a fresh place is starting all over with meeting new people.

Ha, no not for me. I have negative interest in ever moving to FL...just interested in general.

Just stay on the Nashville side of the state. The Memphis side is a hell hole.
We were thinking more near Knoxville but we have other motives. When I'm ready to retire our son will still be in school (starting high school). We're currently homeschooling him using the ACE curriculum and for high school my wife is looking for Christian based private schools that complements his homeschooling.

I'm super interested in the Villages in Florida and went down a rabbit hole a few weeks ago learning about. The good and bad.

I fell into that rabbit hole a couple of years ago. Still on my radar but there's a 3 year gap between when I retire and when my son is allowed to live there with us. He'll be only 16 and you need to be at least 19 to live there with parents that are over 55.

Less than 30 minutes away from the singletracks #9 best mountain biking park in the world

https://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/santos/

I fell into that rabbit hole a couple of years ago. Still on my radar but there's a 3 year gap between when I retire and when my son is allowed to live there with us. He'll be only 16 and you need to be at least 19 to live there with parents that are over 55.

We checked it out before moving here. A work colleague lives there. Too big for us - plus center of the state means not close to beaches and gets hotter.

Ha, no not for me. I have negative interest in ever moving to FL...just interested in general.
3/4 of the way through your second video and I may be sold. :)

The house prices are actually pretty reasonable.

Actually, @rick81721 how did you choose in FL where you moved to? I don't mean so much general area but the specific spot.

Less than 30 minutes away from the singletracks #9 best mountain biking park in the world

Yeah, I looked that up. Not ideal to have only one park nearby but it certainly helps when it's a great park. Have you been riding Santos lately? I've heard from a few people that it's gone downhill since Ray had his accident and the locals are not supportive of the park.

Not enough mountain biking
ya Santos is like 30 min away...so after you spend a couple hours and finish that....you get to spend the rest of your years eating at Jimmy buffet owned chain restaurants, going from mall to mall looking for shorts on sale.

Lol, lets get a grip...to put florida flat sandy single track on a list with the W.E. and kingdom.

ya Santos is like 30 min away...so after you spend a couple hours and finish that....you get to spend the rest of your years eating at Jimmy buffet owned chain restaurants, going from mall to mall looking for shorts on sale.

Lol, lets get a grip...to put florida flat sandy single track on a list with the W.E. and kingdom.

Haha obviously you've never been there. Not flat, there are rocks and crazy boardwalk features. Plus 90 miles.

3/4 of the way through your second video and I may be sold. :)

The house prices are actually pretty reasonable.

Actually, @rick81721 how did you choose in FL where you moved to? I don't mean so much general area but the specific spot.

Yeah, I looked that up. Not ideal to have only one park nearby but it certainly helps when it's a great park. Have you been riding Santos lately? I've heard from a few people that it's gone downhill since Ray had his accident and the locals are not supportive of the park.

No haven't been there in 4 years. I'm sure there are other parks up that way. Alafia is less than 2 hr drive. Plus the biggest road hills are nearby! 😃

Haha obviously you've never been there. Not flat, there are rocks and crazy boardwalk features. Plus 90 miles.
yes I know, sinkhole has like 3 rocks on it for a whole two minutes....Santos is fine, good....best in florida by a country mile....WORLD RANKED? LOL sorry no. Would I move to florida and be excited to spend the rest of my life riding there? no way.

My mother retired to florida and I spent alot of time visiting her there....(until she ran out of malls to shop in, got bored and moved back to NJ)....Worst place I have ever biked...Road or mountain. So @Cassinonorth just be prepared to set your bikes on fire before heading down.

Get a sweet STI golf CAR (not cart!) and cruise around, seems pretty cool as a community from that video.
I should just get a golf cart here. I already live in a retirement community basically. Easily the youngest people in my neighborhood oddly and my town is 1/3 retirees.

I looked at them when I moved in and holy crap they can get expensive. I'll just do what the locals do and get a Corolla and remove the doors.

Back
Top Bottom