How the hell are we supposed to retire?

I should just get a golf cart here. I already live in a retirement community basically. Easily the youngest people in my neighborhood oddly and my town is 1/3 retirees.

I looked at them when I moved in and holy crap they can get expensive. I'll just do what the locals do and get a Corolla and remove the doors.

They are all over our community. We have resisted. If I was going to get something, I'd get this

SPORTSCROSS-1000CC_a.jpg

plus center of the state means not close to beaches and gets hotter.
Center of the state is exactly why we're looking there, more sheltered from hurricanes and less likely to flood. Although we like the beaches, that's not the reason for us wanting to move there.

yes I know, sinkhole has like 3 rocks on it for a whole two minutes....Santos is fine, good....best in florida by a country mile....WORLD RANKED? LOL sorry no. Would I move to florida and be excited to spend the rest of my life riding there? no way.

My mother retired to florida and I spent alot of time visiting her there....(until she ran out of malls to shop in, got bored and moved back to NJ)....Worst place I have ever biked...Road or mountain. So @Cassinonorth just be prepared to set your bikes on fire before heading down.

Yeah I miss the big climbs but there is no place to retire that has everything. Our primary considerations were #1 all year warm weather and #2 low taxes. I like riding and do it 5x a week but primarily for exercise. Great riding was not a priority. And I do feel safer road riding here vs nj. Don't have 80% of cars blowing by me within 2 ft like nj.

Center of the state is exactly why we're looking there, more sheltered from hurricanes and less likely to flood. Although we like the beaches, that's not the reason for us wanting to move there.

Less likely to flood but it still happens. When Irma hit a few months after we bought in 2017 we had no problems. My brother in Lakeland had major flooding. We aren't beach people either - will go once every month at most and hang out for an hour or two. We are far enough inland (8 miles as the crow flies) where storm surge is not an issue. And I plan on getting a boat to go out in the gulf and intercoastal waters so proximity was important.

Less likely to flood but it still happens. When Irma hit a few months after we bought in 2017 we had no problems. My brother in Lakeland had major flooding. We aren't beach people either - will go once every month at most and hang out for an hour or two. We are far enough inland (8 miles as the crow flies) where storm surge is not an issue. And I plan on getting a boat to go out in the gulf and intercoastal waters so proximity was important.
What's the elevation at your place?
Hopefully not an issue with you in the future, but long-term flooding would be a concern of mine in FL within a few miles of the ocean. High water table, low elevation, rising oceans, etc etc.

Ironic since Florida is #1 in bike fatalities per capita. Guess you feel safe until you don't down there and you'll never know the difference.

Mostly in urban areas. I don't ride busy roads. And if you actually look at the data - greater than 80% of Florida cycling fatalities were not wearing helmets. My nj road crash in July would likely have been fatal without a helmet.

What's the elevation at your place?
Hopefully not an issue with you in the future, but long-term flooding would be a concern of mine in FL within a few miles of the ocean. High water table, low elevation, rising oceans, etc etc.
Its all about base flood elevation not raw elevation and distance. Check the fema tables, they recently updated them and the insurance companies made adjustments as needed.

Its all about base flood elevation not raw elevation and distance. Check the fema tables, they recently updated them and the insurance companies made adjustments as needed.

Story time:

A few years ago I had to put a flowmeter in a river with a control panel. USGS guys and the Army Corps engineers brought out the 100 year flood plane maps, figured out the height I would need to be above the 100 year flood plane.

Contractor cuts down about 50 feet worth of trees between a dead end street and the river. Get this huge truck out there that drives this metal piling into the middle of the river. They go to cut off the excess 5 feet of the piling that the machine used to grab onto and I'm like "Whoa, why bother? Just slap my panel to the top, it's fine if it's 5 feet ABOVE the 100 year flood plane and it saves you some effort."

They install my panel & flowmeter, test it, works great.

2 weeks later, underwater in a storm.

That was the *start* of seeing lots of spots in NY/NJ go above the historic flood planes due to various storms. Elevation & Distance do matter when you have the surges like we saw during Sandy where there's flooding in spots that never got flooded before. More buildings lead to less permeable land & flooding.

Rick is probably fine though. Hurricanes are probably way more of a concern.

Looking at the flood maps of my area, I now understand why the trailer parks are where they are and not luxury homes. There's a few spots where I've been like "Whoa, these single wides have a million dollar view, WTF?"

Looking at the flood maps of my area, I now understand why the trailer parks are where they are and not luxury homes. There's a few spots where I've been like "Whoa, these single wides have a million dollar view, WTF?"

the lattice skirts are hiding their boat hull - jokes on us. floating home park.

friend of mine has a floating home on SF Bay - it is a tad bigger than a tiny house. not a whole lot tho.

I checked a few addresses and the data all says 2013 origin. So, 10yo.

I checked a few addresses and the data all says 2013 origin. So, 10yo.
I'm not sure of the frequency of the determinations but meant the insurance companies just readjusted rates for flooding. I recall rates will be going up about 50% across the next 10 years. RN my flood insurance is twice the home owners insurance and more than my primary home which is considerably larger. That's also with the house lifted up 12 ft, the bfe is 11ft. The cost of jersey shore home ownership has a number of additional costs especially if you have a mortgage. I'm actually next looking for a place on Greenwood lake on the NY side. Yes there will be flooding, but no storm surges which floods my garage every other month.

Back
Top Bottom