Illegal trails off the top of Tourne.

notcho

I’m sure the land managers will try more signs and fencing. It’s been tried in the past and most are still up on that part of the trail. There is a legal walking path down to “mouse rock” or something like that, but it’s supposed to be an out and back.

It does seem to be some of the younger crowd that might not be aware of the sensitivity here, but no doubt some veterans that are gonna ride what they wanna ride. The place has been seeing a ton of traffic lately, including some big group rides. Best to spread the word to reach people that aren’t on the site.

BananaFred

I live in Essex County (which has all of zero MTB trails)...so I am biased. I ride Tourne so often, the work that was done on the orange trail and the orange dotted is incredible. I have noticed lots of new little side features pop up, which are fun. Please oh god, do not screw this up.

Berms&Boofs

As many know, the land manager closed and fenced off the illegal trail from the top of Tourne several months ago. There are signs clearly explaining why the trail was closed and who to contact if they want to contribute to better trails at Tourne. Everything has been working fine for months.

In the last few days some entitled asshole has ripped down the fencing and signage on the lower section and opened the closed trail back up. I can’t think of a faster way to get bikes banned from Tourne.

I doubt anyone on this board is the culprit but we need your help if your ride at Tourne. If you see anyone building trails (other than the sanctioned JORBA / MCPC crew) please pass on the word that they are ruining it for everyone. Thanks!

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
As many know, the land manager closed and fenced off the illegal trail from the top of Tourne several months ago. There are signs clearly explaining why the trail was closed and who to contact if they want to contribute to better trails at Tourne. Everything has been working fine for months.

In the last few days some entitled asshole has ripped down the fencing and signage on the lower section and opened the closed trail back up. I can’t think of a faster way to get bikes banned from Tourne.

I doubt anyone on this board is the culprit but we need your help if your ride at Tourne. If you see anyone building trails (other than the sanctioned JORBA / MCPC crew) please pass on the word that they are ruining it for everyone. Thanks!
Any chance of success if a bunch of us got together and hauled all manner of logs and other deadfall across the trail, to the point where it would take the culprits far more time and effort than it’s worth to try and reopen it? The fencing still needs to be put back but the handful of times I’ve ridden the mid mountain loop the rest of the illegal trail is otherwise pretty visible.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Another person with a public profile. Someone should leave a (somewhat) polite comment.

I'm kinda hoping it just gets back to them. They might know the person who took down the signs. I don't know when it happened, but if you filter the leaderboard on "this year" - there may be a clue.

Might need to take the tiller in there and break the top of the trail so the forest can take over.
Doesn't take long - @pooriggy lesson.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any chance of success if a bunch of us got together and hauled all manner of logs and other deadfall across the trail, to the point where it would take the culprits far more time and effort than it’s worth to try and reopen it? The fencing still needs to be put back but the handful of times I’ve ridden the mid mountain loop the rest of the illegal trail is otherwise pretty visible.
IMO this is the best way to close down a trail that folks want to keep opening. It's sad that this much effort has to go towards shutting a trail down, which could be used to work on existing trails.

Given the population density of the areas we live/mtb in, there are always going to be a few jerks who only care about what they want, regardless of how stupid it is.
20230608_114700.jpg

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
IMO this is the best way to close down a trail that folks want to keep opening. It's sad that this much effort has to go towards shutting a trail down, which could be used to work on existing trails.

Given the population density of the areas we live/mtb in, there are always going to be a few jerks who only care about what they want, regardless of how stupid it is.View attachment 220093
Based on my experience the last few years at The Tourne a bunch of Czech Hedgehogs and Dragon's Teeth wouldn't last a week.

I don't know what it is but starting roughly 2020 people started going nuts with sanitizing the trails with re-routes and opening up closed trails. It could just be a handful of people, no idea.

That being said, I've been out of NJ since November of 2022 and road The Tourne a month ago while in NJ and all the new trail work was fantastic. Although it's really a bit late for me it's really nice to see real progress there on some really good MTB trails.

notcho

@trailhead and I did this 10 years ago. So much time and effort blocking lines off only to have it reopened shortly after. Can’t rule out hikers either. I’ve encountered a few that got mad trails we’re getting blocked off.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions