Is a gravel bike slowly reverting back to a mountain bike?

Guilty as charged 😬 😬 😬

IMG_E4975.JPG

That frame is wild! Any reason it’s like that or “just because”?

It has a sorta suspension to it. I was expecting to see this frame as the STR instead of the hokey future shock version I had but they kinda missed a great opportunity.

IMG_1854.jpeg

Fatter the better!

Before I built this I had a Cutthroat that I routinely rode Allaire with when I lived up that way. I even rode it up to Hartshorne a few times and rode there with it. It did well (29x2” tires). The drop bars definitely made it more comfy riding distance or long/flat/straight sections (like a canal path)

If I could have one bike, it would be a “Gravel Bike”

Even in DC a few weeks ago, the fatter tires let me ride the city as well as the bike paths.

Do I miss skinny tires? Sure. But the fatter tires are more comfy for my aging rear and also let me ride sandy trails. I can also be lazy if I am not paying attention.

Definitely not for everyone, but I sold my Surly ECR years ago and always regretted it. The 29x3 tires are fun everywhere for me. Fun keeps me riding it.

Yay Gravel Bikes!

Last edited:
The proof is in the pudding. 2.2” mtb tires more aero than 35/45/50mm gravel tires 😍

But that is still a gravel bike with gravel bike geometry and road gearing. It just had wider tires used for Mtb’s. Other than the wheels and gearing it didn’t appear to be regressing to a hardtail Mtb. I don’t see a flat bar or 100 mm suspension forks which is probably your next thread 😂

But that is still a gravel bike with gravel bike geometry and road gearing. It just had wider tires used for Mtb’s. Other than the wheels and gearing it didn’t appear to be regressing to a hardtail Mtb. I don’t see a flat bar or 100 mm suspension forks which is probably your next thread 😂
I’ll just watch what you put on your bike next because it will probably be “the next big thing”. Pretty sure DJ’s bike is slacker than a down country bike, has mtb tires and a suspension fork with drop bars. Wait, that would be John Tomac’s bike like I said.

I’ll just watch what you put on your bike next because it will probably be “the next big thing”. Pretty sure DJ’s bike is slacker than a down country bike, has mtb tires and a suspension fork with drop bars. Wait, that would be John Tomac’s bike like I said.
Again, bikes will continue to evolve based on the needs and efficiency to go faster. I think slacker geometry has been a trend almost all off-road to support the rougher terrain at higher speeds. With the evolution and constant changes of “ next big thing” I think can further support my claim i previously stated.

I don’t have the exact specs on John tomac drop bar Mtb he raced. Are there some similarities? Sure. Based on today’s technology you gonna argue that tomac suspension fork was better also?

It really doesn’t matter. The point is there are some common attributes among tomacs bike and some gravel bikes today.

Back
Top Bottom