Let's see your EMTBs!

Why do people buy sports cars, luxury cars, high end appliances or McMansions? All have a higher base price and are more costly to maintain.

And, btw, transmission works flawlessly on an ebike.
That’s great, the alloy cogs will still shark tooth faster than steel cogs. The chain has larger rollers so it will last longer but $95-$120 bucks longer? It was literally a couple months after Sram dropped the transmission system I ran into a guy walking his bike up a hill because his battery died in the derailleur at Ringwood . Thanks but no thanks.

Transmission was designed to separate money from riders. There is nothing that you can tell me that changes the fact servo shifting just adds more cost. Sorry, every one I see on the trail with servo shifting there is one question that runs through my mind……trust fund or moron. If the bike came with servo shifting, my question is why did you buy a bike that costs more to maintain and had a higher base price? Don’t worry, I am sure I am the only person that thinks this way.

and this is why other options exist, everyone has their own like/dislikes/budget and they can pick what works best for them.

That’s great, the alloy cogs will still shark tooth faster than steel cogs. The chain has larger rollers so it will last longer but $95-$120 bucks longer? It was literally a couple months after Sram dropped the transmission system I ran into a guy walking his bike up a hill because his battery died in the derailleur at Ringwood . Thanks but no thanks.
Anyone who is walking because of a dead battery is just an idiot. There is so much notice given before it died that the person just ignored.

Who cares if it wears faster if it works better?

Why in the heck would anyone want to add axs
well you asked....So I bought my first AXS set up in 2019....same shifter, derailleur and battery still working perfectly after many sticks and rocks hitting it. Bought my second set up 2.5 years ago for my enduro bike...wacked it several times and had it release and reset...Once in the EWS race I did which otherwise probably would have ended my day. On top of the convenience of never having to deal with cables/cable housings...and I personally love it for racing...being able to hold the button down and sweep up or down thru the gears.

Final test ride on the Heckler yesterday at Nesh. Looking at the weather forecast, it looked like we had a two-hour window to get a lap or two in before the rain arrived. Well... it turned out the 27% chance of early rain was enough... it was lightly spitting when we started a little after 6pm and got steadily harder throughout. When we started hearing thunder, we called it and headed back to the lot (it's better after the ash culling, but Nesh is still not a great place to be during a thunderstorm). As we were making our way back, there was a puddle in the trail... we had just finished a climb and I had the bike in Trail mode. I thought I had toggled back to Eco. I had not. I mistakenly put it in Boost. And when I went to wheelie through the puddle, I pulled up, started pedaling and before I realized it, the bike was shooting out from under me and I ended up on my back in the mud. Note the clipless pedals. It was hilarious:

1717068777178.png

Anyway, Frankie also rode the Levo again yesterday at Nox and also did some more research. She basically figured out the bike is pretty much identical to her Trek - same 50nm motor power with a slightly smaller (250WH vs 300WH) battery. So, she is going to keep the Heckler for now until she can decide on one of the new lightweight "mid-power" bikes that are coming out.

What does that mean for me? Well... I have decided I really like the Heckler. It rides a lot like my Megatower, for obvious reasons, which is a good thing for me since I don't plan on getting rid of that bike (it's still my "park" and enduro race bike). I tend to lean towards a full 29er version that should feel even more like my Megatower. Preferably with a GX AXS build kit. In Maritime Grey if I have the choice. I'll have to get back up to Halter's and talk to @jdog again... It would be awesome if I could somehow get it before a trip to Davis in two weeks.

1717070196794.png

Of course, me being me, it would immediately get a few things swapped out. After riding the Heckler, I have decided I don't care for the Code brakes. Much prefer the lever feel of Shimano, so I'll probably order a set of brakes to swap over. The Levo has shown me I don't like the new AXS shifter, so I'll have to source an older style shifter (with the original paddle). And I already have an AXS dropper.

Final test ride on the Heckler yesterday at Nesh. Looking at the weather forecast, it looked like we had a two-hour window to get a lap or two in before the rain arrived. Well... it turned out the 27% chance of early rain was enough... it was lightly spitting when we started a little after 6pm and got steadily harder throughout. When we started hearing thunder, we called it and headed back to the lot (it's better after the ash culling, but Nesh is still not a great place to be during a thunderstorm). As we were making our way back, there was a puddle in the trail... we had just finished a climb and I had the bike in Trail mode. I thought I had toggled back to Eco. I had not. I mistakenly put it in Boost. And when I went to wheelie through the puddle, I pulled up, started pedaling and before I realized it, the bike was shooting out from under me and I ended up on my back in the mud. Note the clipless pedals. It was hilarious:

View attachment 239466

Anyway, Frankie also rode the Levo again yesterday at Nox and also did some more research. She basically figured out the bike is pretty much identical to her Trek - same 50nm motor power with a slightly smaller (250WH vs 300WH) battery. So, she is going to keep the Heckler for now until she can decide on one of the new lightweight "mid-power" bikes that are coming out.

What does that mean for me? Well... I have decided I really like the Heckler. It rides a lot like my Megatower, for obvious reasons, which is a good thing for me since I don't plan on getting rid of that bike (it's still my "park" and enduro race bike). I tend to lean towards a full 29er version that should feel even more like my Megatower. Preferably with a GX AXS build kit. In Maritime Grey if I have the choice. I'll have to get back up to Halter's and talk to @jdog again... It would be awesome if I could somehow get it before a trip to Davis in two weeks.

View attachment 239468

Of course, me being me, it would immediately get a few things swapped out. After riding the Heckler, I have decided I don't care for the Code brakes. Much prefer the lever feel of Shimano, so I'll probably order a set of brakes to swap over. The Levo has shown me I don't like the new AXS shifter, so I'll have to source an older style shifter (with the original paddle). And I already have an AXS dropper.
Come borrow my shuttle am for a ride.

"After riding the Heckler, I have decided I don't care for the Code brakes. Much prefer the lever feel of Shimano, so I'll probably order a set of brakes to swap over"

Following up on this as I kinda felt the Code brakes didn't give me a warm comfy and have been kicking around going to XT's also.
What other reasonably priced, good performing brake options are out there to look into?

View attachment 239466

View attachment 239468

Devine intervention
1717103894720.png

Continuing my "search for an e-Bike" saga... jdog was gracious enough to let me take his personal Pivot Shuttle AM for a spin at Nesh. Fortunately, no episodes of falling on my ass this time. It's interesting to ride a bike so tuned to the owner's preferences. I didn't change or fiddle with it too much. Just my pedals and maybe half a mile in I was getting severe hand cramps and had to adjust the brake lever bite point. But it was a fun lap and gives me more data to mull over.

1717199456714.png

Side note... I was doing some more reading I didn't know the 2021 Heckler has a 504WH battery. Quite a bit larger than the Levo, but still not "large" by current standards. Interesting...

Continuing my "search for an e-Bike" saga... jdog was gracious enough to let me take his personal Pivot Shuttle AM for a spin at Nesh. Fortunately, no episodes of falling on my ass this time. It's interesting to ride a bike so tuned to the owner's preferences. I didn't change or fiddle with it too much. Just my pedals and maybe half a mile in I was getting severe hand cramps and had to adjust the brake lever bite point. But it was a fun lap and gives me more data to mull over.

View attachment 239562

Side note... I was doing some more reading I didn't know the 2021 Heckler has a 504WH battery. Quite a bit larger than the Levo, but still not "large" by current standards. Interesting...
I know my setup is weird to most but nothing is by accident. It works for me.

That bike is over forked with a 170mm zeb btw.

I know my setup is weird to most but nothing is by accident. It works for me.

That bike is over forked with a 170mm zeb btw.
Knowing you, the setup makes perfect sense.

I returned jdog's Pivot on Sat, although I got in a lap at 6-Mile first - since I don't get up that way as often these days and I haven't ridden there in quite a while. Always fun to ride there, despite the fact I chose the most perfect day in ages and the park was packed. Well... mostly packed... I saw a ton of riders on Blue, Red and Orange, but had White all to myself. I was on a bit of a time crunch, so I ended up road-riding from the Jacques Lane lot back to the Canal Rd lot (RIP, Red Trail). Tough to really push the pace when sight lines are rarely more than a few yards, so it was mostly a sedate ride. Still got a good work out with an average HR near 160.

Upon returning his Shuttle, he let me take the Cannondale Moterra demo out for a ride today (Sunday) at French Creek State Park - a trail system with some of the longer technical climbs and descents in Eastern PA. Now, this has been my 3rd day of riding in a row - which I haven't done in probably 9 months - so my legs are pretty cooked. I rode with my friends Frankie and Lisa (both on ebikes) and Lisa's 17 yo daughter on her Trek XC bike, but is a motor so she didn't have too much trouble keeping up.

1717370720846.png

Things that are different. The big one is the motor and the different drive modes. The previous three bikes I've ridden have 4 modes: Off, Eco, Trail & Boost. This bike however, has 8 modes... something I didn't realized until I was basically finished. Level 1 is hardly any assist at all, so I rarely used it. Level 2 is roughly comparable to Eco in the other bikes. Level 3, a bit more... and Level 4 and bit more again. I never got it above Level 4. However, 3 & 4 are still pretty good.

Those familiar with French Creek may know the trail section called Nemesis. A fairly steep section we usually climb up with some large, challenging rock ledges and/or roots to get up. With the bike in 3 or 4 (I don't remember), I was able to power up it fairly easily. That was fun since I haven't been able to clean that climb in a number of attempts on a regular trail bike for quite a few years. Part of me now wants to try it again using an assist level closer to max (and I totally screwed up the Strava segment, so I don't have an accurate time)

The bike descends well, although my lack of fitness was definitely the limiting factor. The Moterra may be lighter than the other bikes, but it doesn't feel lighter. But regardless, I didn't have any trouble hopping over or gapping rocks during the fast descents at French Creek. While I did take the time to check the sag and adjust fork air pressure, I once again forgot Fox recommended pressure settings are meant for pro racers, not slow amateurs and I need to drop the fork pressure by at least 5 psi.

I forgot my HRM, so I don't have comparative data compared to the other bikes. I'm hoping to ride it at Nesh on Monday or (hopefully - please jdog?) Tuesday. My arms and legs are toast. I still find the super-short 35mm stem strange, so I may swap a 50mm stem for a lap at Nesh.

Getting closer to making a decision...

I demo’d a Rocky Mtn Altitude ebike yesterday and hated the motor setup. I get why having a torque sensor can be good, but to have three bearings around the chainring just to work properly, I disliked it. And it had a weird fluttering sensation through the pedals.

But that’s what demos are for. I will certainly demo any ebike i am interested in from now on.

I demo’d a Rocky Mtn Altitude ebike yesterday and hated the motor setup. I get why having a torque sensor can be good, but to have three bearings around the chainring just to work properly, I disliked it. And it had a weird fluttering sensation through the pedals.

But that’s what demos are for. I will certainly demo any ebike i am interested in from now on.
I tried it too. Wanted to like it for the raw power numbers seem appealing.. the motor felt a bit home made for my taste.

Demo bikes when you can. Better yet on trails you’d otherwise avoid climbing.

In local e-bike news, someone was just hit by a car about 200 feet from the shop while riding an e-bike. Heard a bunch of screaming out front. It was other drivers yelling at the van that took off after hitting the cyclist. The rider was taken away in an ambulance, so not a minor incident.

well you asked....So I bought my first AXS set up in 2019....same shifter, derailleur and battery still working perfectly after many sticks and rocks hitting it. Bought my second set up 2.5 years ago for my enduro bike...wacked it several times and had it release and reset...Once in the EWS race I did which otherwise probably would have ended my day. On top of the convenience of never having to deal with cables/cable housings...and I personally love it for racing...being able to hold the button down and sweep up or down thru the gears.
100%. Have it on my e-bike, er, I mean my Arctodus.

Back
Top Bottom