Let's see your EMTBs!

Wow... Has attendance dropped? The last time I was there for a race, there were enough cars that I can't imagine how they'd all fit in that lot.
Attendance is down at most local XC races. Looking back to last year, Guy's Neshaminy XC pre-reg was 239 and you're lucky if 50 show up day-of. Right now there's 33 pre-reg for Sunday's race. Most racers register on the last day.

Moterra test ride #2 - now with more stem! (50mm vs. the OEM 35mm). Longer stem definitely felt better, although I still don't feel as comfortable on this as I did on the Heckler. It can go fast. I had to get back home to continue working, so I was only able to get one lap at Neshaminy in. But I made it count - max-assist for most of the ride and pushed hard.

My HR numbers for the ride:
View attachment 239803

My legs were still sore from the weekend rides when I started. Now they feel absolutely cooked.

Not a bad looking bike, for sure...

View attachment 239804

Now to get my parts off it and return it to Halter's tomorrow and more talks with jdog.
I have one more for you to try btw:

I have one more for you to try btw:

Ok. Tomorrow? I was about 10 min from home when I went to check traffic and discovered the shop is closed on Wednesday. :rolleyes:

I'd also like to try an Orbea Wild if you have one. I was hoping to have made a decision (and possibly have one) by the time I leave for Davis next Wednesday, but it's starting to look like work will have other ideas... :(

They were a bit more straight forward with me. I couldn't be on property when school was in.
Correct, they kick people out a pretty quickly if school is in session. After school isnt an issue. They will also chase you down in a cart on the gravel road directly behind the school. I am 100% good with it, please respect that kids are present here.

1717631676552.png
This is where to park during school hours, small paved spot For 2-3 cars just dont block the water co gate. Go up the gravel road, when it opens up, bear left snd you will see any entrance to the course, which is about 1/2 through the race lap.

Last edited:
Wow... Has attendance dropped? The last time I was there for a race, there were enough cars that I can't imagine how they'd all fit in that lot.
No, starting last year they cant use the fields anymore Because they redid them all. The :staging and start/finish is now in the back lot.

Correct, they kick people out a pretty quickly if school is in session. After school isnt an issue. They will also chase you down in a cart on the gravel road directly behind the school. I am 100% good with it, please respect that kids are present here.

View attachment 239868This is where to park during school hours, small paved spot For 2-3 cars just dont block the water co gate. Go up the gravel road, when it opens up, bear left snd you will see any entrance to the course, which is about 1/2 through the race lap.
Cool! Thanks.

Sometimes in the morning, I park in one of the front lots and ride back to the start of the loop at that back line. This morning at 5:15 a security guard intercepted me before getting into that back lot and told me I can’t be there. Naturally, I just rode around to one of the side entrances.

Stole one of the LevoSLs out of our demo fleet for a bit. Took it to Chimney Rock. It’s definitely a workout but mostly because you fight to get the front end to hook up because of how slack it is. I lowered the bars all the way and ran about 50% of the suggested fork pressure to get some weight on the front and it helped a ton. If I bought one I’d run a longer stem, flat bar, and 29er rear wheel. Will convert this into an East Coast slayer. Ran it on ECO and Trail on the climbs and the battery lasted the whole ride. Just cut the power as I took this pic along the lake right before the lot…

E37A7D57-0B20-4176-A933-6501437D9CFB.jpeg

Stole one of the LevoSLs out of our demo fleet for a bit. Took it to Chimney Rock. It’s definitely a workout but mostly because you fight to get the front end to hook up because of how slack it is. I lowered the bars all the way and ran about 50% of the suggested fork pressure to get some weight on the front and it helped a ton. If I bought one I’d run a longer stem, flat bar, and 29er rear wheel. Will convert this into an East Coast slayer. Ran it on ECO and Trail on the climbs and the battery lasted the whole ride. Just cut the power as I took this pic along the lake right before the lot…

View attachment 240012
So CR is wet today?

View attachment 240012
Personally, I'm not "on board" with the super-slack & super-short-stem trend. Great for DH riding on steep terrain but requires a severe adjustment of riding style/technique on more "normal" terrain.

Personally, I'm not "on board" with the super-slack & super-short-stem trend. Great for DH riding on steep terrain but requires a severe adjustment of riding style/technique on more "normal" terrain.

I’m a fan on a lower travel bike but with 150mm travel the fork is so slack even with less than half the air in it I used about 100mm of travel. I had the same issue with my REEB and Stumpy. They’re just not designed around our east coast trails and have to be modded to feel right.

I felt as the same way till 2020 when I bought transition sentinel. The 64 degree head angle and really short stem put me off for a while but the more I learned load the front wheel the better the bike worked. I used do an OTB almost every ride but the slack head angle did a really good job stopping those crashes. Now I wouldn’t even consider going back to old school bikes. These days anything with a head angle over 65 degrees is a road bike.

I felt as the same way till 2020 when I bought transition sentinel. The 64 degree head angle and really short stem put me off for a while but the more I learned load the front wheel the better the bike worked. I used do an OTB almost every ride but the slack head angle did a really good job stopping those crashes. Now I wouldn’t even consider going back to old school bikes. These days anything with a head angle over 65 degrees is a road bike.
Today I test rode a Pivot with a 67.5 HTA. Even on a parking lot test, the steep front end was shocking to me. It actually felt dangerous to ride. I had the other guys in the shop ride it as well and wee all agreed that it would be scary to ride down a hill of any size on this bike.

1717807736788.png

Today I test rode a Pivot with a 67.5 HTA. Even on a parking lot test, the steep front end was shocking to me. It actually felt dangerous to ride. I had the other guys in the shop ride it as well and wee all agreed that it would be scary to ride down a hill of any size on this bike.

View attachment 240057
Ha, that’s funny because my first DH bike had a 68 degree HTA. Amazing how everything progresses.

Ha, that’s funny because my first DH bike had a 68 degree HTA. Amazing how everything progresses.
My 1988 Mongoose Tomac edition had a head angle of 72 degrees and a seat angle of 74 degree….. it had a cool 120mm stem and 440mm bars😎

View attachment 240057

Didn’t realize y’all were so delicate over there. DH headtube angles should be OK in a paved parking lot 😂

Back
Top Bottom