Mahlon Trail Directory

onetracker

Wondering if folks have favorite loops at MD? I ride this park once in a while and always have fun but make up rides as I go. Care to share your preferred routes?

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I set out for a mix of tech and downhill gnar today and put together a pretty good route. Ghost going down, white four birds climb up to yellow (some awesome tech on this section, probably crazy fun going down), then yellow up to stone gate and down. Then I took the rail trail up to the WMA for all that techy goodness. Planned on riding all of it but ran out of daylight...so just did tigers blood and the always fun columbos DH to finish it off. 10/10 will be doing this route again.... but I need to break up the fire road/rail trail to the WMA somehow.... I guess throw cascade into the mix?

https://strava.app.link/TfHUVgpsV6
1590895556010.png

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I set out for a mix of tech and downhill gnar today and put together a pretty good route. Ghost going down, white four birds climb up to yellow (some awesome tech on this section, probably crazy fun going down), then yellow up to stone gate and down. Then I took the rail trail up to the WMA for all that techy goodness. Planned on riding all of it but ran out of daylight...so just did tigers blood and the always fun columbos DH to finish it off. 10/10 will be doing this route again.... but I need to break up the fire road/rail trail to the WMA somehow.... I guess throw cascade into the mix?

https://strava.app.link/TfHUVgpsV6View attachment 130284
Gotta get those 4 rollers in your route too!

goldsbar

Gotta get those 4 rollers in your route too!
No, no you don't!:) That fourth is no roller, it's called a cliff.

Soundguy - if you want to do white down, continue on past the entrance for the climb and that trail will end at a T. Make a right and that will get you to the other end of white after climbing a technical fire road. If you made a left at the T, you would get to the Wall switchbacks climb, which could eventually get you to Cascade.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No, no you don't!:) That fourth is no roller, it's called a cliff.
The 4th roller is actually way easier than the 3rd one, lol. It’s all mental.

The only stuff that’s really new to me is the other side of Weldon. I used to always start from Sparta and usually didn’t have time to hit the south side, or would be so tired after the WMA and Cascade that I would start heading back before I reached Saffin.

mntal

https://strava.app.link/TfHUVgpsV6View attachment 130284
To break the rail trail - head across Weldon road over to the power lines. There are a couple power line road climbs that your legs will enjoy. The last one before the cell tower I have simply named "The Thing". It's not pleasant.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The 4th roller is actually way easier than the 3rd one, lol. It’s all mental.

It turns out that this is true. I forgot how chunky and sketchy the third one was, and the fourth was way less scary than I remember. It's super smooth and straight.

As for a route, start from the park and ride and do Tiger Blood -> Black Magic -> Rock and Roll -> You can't climb this -> Blue Crescent Moon -> Sunset Lake loop in either direction (or both directions) -> Blue Crescent Moon -> Black Magic -> Tiger Blood. There is no reason to even enter Mahlon Dickerson anymore.

xrjx

It turns out that this is true. I forgot how chunky and sketchy the third one was, and the fourth was way less scary than I remember. It's super smooth and straight.

As for a route, start from the park and ride and do Tiger Blood -> Black Magic -> Rock and Roll -> You can't climb this -> Blue Crescent Moon -> Sunset Lake loop in either direction (or both directions) -> Blue Crescent Moon -> Black Magic -> Tiger Blood. There is no reason to even enter Mahlon Dickerson anymore.

a lot of fun stuff in this loop - but you would be missing the best descents in the park. i'd skip second round of the tech and instead hit south side of Mahlon, heading down Columbo's finishing move (probably most fun descent), including either the Wall or Ghost, then down to Stone Gate and then back to WMA

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions