Mahlon Trail Directory

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Ghost is awesome, and that white trail after it is the best in the park, but they're a bit out of the way. I do ride them sometimes, but there's too much filler hitting them from the park and ride.

I was just typing this... I love the WMA but it is definitely missing the downhills...

Downhills are overrated.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
that white trail after it is the best in the park
I just started riding this, (it is friggin awesome) and noticed That segment is called four birds in Strava. There’s a sign where it crosses yellow saying “you are now leaving Mahlon..” and I assume that is the start of Rockaway WMA... does this somehow tie into your four birds or is this totally separate? Also... is it worth following into the Rockaway WMA? Anyone ride back down there?

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
does this somehow tie into your four birds or is this totally separate?

That Strava segment is erroneously named. That white trail has nothing to do with Four Birds.

There’s a sign where it crosses yellow saying “you are now leaving Mahlon..” and I assume that is the start of Rockaway WMA...

If you go across yellow and stay on white into the WMA, it's good for a little while. When you come out to the first woods road crossing, make a right to get back to yellow. You can follow that white blazed trail (pretty sure it's called the Beaver Brook Trail) all the way down to Taylor Rd near Berkshire Valley Rd, but it gets pretty terrible. I rode the whole thing back in like 2016 and there were a million trees down.

Also... is it worth following into the Rockaway WMA?

There's a maze of woods roads, and there used to be a pretty cool moto trail, but I would need to search my Strava for it. I also don't know if it's still there. You can also tie into the old Snow Bowl area and come down the ski hill. I'd be down to re-explore some of that with you sometime.

mntal

That Strava segment is erroneously named. That white trail has nothing to do with Four Birds.

If you go across yellow and stay on white into the WMA, it's good for a little while. When you come out to the first woods road crossing, make a right to get back to yellow. You can follow that white blazed trail (pretty sure it's called the Beaver Brook Trail) all the way down to Taylor Rd near Berkshire Valley Rd, but it gets pretty terrible. I rode the whole thing back in like 2016 and there were a million trees down.

There's a maze of woods roads, and there used to be a pretty cool moto trail, but I would need to search my Strava for it. I also don't know if it's still there. You can also tie into the old Snow Bowl area and come down the ski hill. I'd be down to re-explore some of that with you sometime.
I am out of shape and at best, slow on the bike but would be down for exploring that as well. I have gone south for a while after the bottom of stone gate and per review of strava was actually closer to the main woods road in Rockaway WMA than I thought I was. Seems to be a maze down there of ATV trails and such and not mapped (as far as I know)

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Compton Goble Rd by the gas station on 15 to the Snow Bowl:

Full Beaver Brook trail and some exploring:

This route has that cool moto trail on it:

You would need to do a bunch of exploring to put together a worthwhile loop, and there is a gun club that owns or leases some of the land down there. Probably not a big deal outside of hunting season. There is a pretty funny sign that says something about you being on camera and they are gonna confiscate your dirt bike/ATV or something like that. It's literally right next to the moto trail.

SpartaBard

You would need to do a bunch of exploring to put together a worthwhile loop, and there is a gun club that owns or leases some of the land down there. Probably not a big deal outside of hunting season. There is a pretty funny sign that says something about you being on camera and they are gonna confiscate your dirt bike/ATV or something like that. It's literally right next to the moto trail.

The gun club land is for sale, or at least used to be... Maybe MTBNJ should look to make a purchase?

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You would need to do a bunch of exploring to put together a worthwhile loop
Now that I’m living over here I plan on doing much more exploring....hence all the south Mahlon rides lately. Like you said, if you come up here for the WMA this stuff just seems out of the way, but now that I live right down Weldon I’m more game to go get lost in the woods. Hell, I might even break down and buy a garmin...

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Now that I’m living over here I plan on doing much more exploring....hence all the south Mahlon rides lately. Like you said, if you come up here for the WMA this stuff just seems out of the way, but now that I live right down Weldon I’m more game to go get lost in the woods. Hell, I might even break down and buy a garmin...

let me know if you want company of the slower persuasion

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I got roped into exploring this with @soundz today. It was pretty cool when it didn’t completely suck. Beaver Brook down to Lost Lake was cool aside from a good bit of down trees. Everything after that was pretty shitty, with a few cool spots mixed in. I want to explore that moto trail some more... we rode a really cool section at the southern tip that went along a ridge and had some exposure. Need to figure out how to connect that with woods roads to avoid the Beaver Brook hike a bike.
https://strava.app.link/CJcn8SdHj7
1592156613841.png

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I got roped into exploring this with @soundz today. It was pretty cool when it didn’t completely suck. Beaver Brook down to Lost Lake was cool aside from a good bit of down trees. Everything after that was pretty shitty, with a few cool spots mixed in. I want to explore that moto trail some more... we rode a really cool section at the southern tip that went along a ridge and had some exposure. Need to figure out how to connect that with woods roads to avoid the Beaver Brook hike a bike.
https://strava.app.link/CJcn8SdHj7View attachment 131663

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Beaver Brook down to Lost Lake was cool aside from a good bit of down trees. Everything after that was pretty shitty, with a few cool spots mixed in.

Yeah, I rode the whole Beaver Brook Trail in 2015, and there were tons of blow downs. This spot is cool though.

1592182699283.jpeg

And this was interesting:

1592182833993.jpeg

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, I rode the whole Beaver Brook Trail in 2015, and there were tons of blow downs. This spot is cool though.

View attachment 131755

And this was interesting:

View attachment 131756
After that split rock is where it started to get dicey. Looks like you were there during fall... it’s super overgrown right now. Didn’t find the creepy mailbox site.... we stopped just shy of the end to catch the woods roads.

Was it a fun trek? Absolutely. Would I do it again? Nah dawg.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions