Mountain, Cross and Shuffleboard Nats

We have a rattler hanging out behind our garage. It does not move much. It does not rattle or even tick and our landscaper was about a foot away. I think it is a she, and she is preparing to birth. I also have noticed that I have not seen any chipmunks lately. There was a huge clear cutting a half mile down the road, so my guess is that she has been displaced or relocated and chose our new comfy wood chips for her temporary birthing home. I do not plan to mess with her, so we will need to take caution in this area over the next few weeks. She is a beautiful color!

I was able to get in two trail work days this week. One at Ringwood and one at Sterling. Both involved a ride in and out, so extra riding miles as well. I barely got sore this week so I suppose I am finally in "work shape" for the summer. Took me until August this year, but that is to be expected with the racing distractions earlier this summer. Smashed my finger today between two rocks. My stupid fault, rushing and spacing out. No broken skin, but it's already turning purple. It is curently more numb than painful, so not too bad.

View attachment 220336

View attachment 220337

That is a timber rattlesnake (beautiful yellow phase too!). One of the most endangered species in NJ. Should be reported via Rare Wildlife Sighting Report Form (in link) to NJ F&W.

https://dep.nj.gov/njfw/conservation/timber-rattlesnake-conservation/

Not a bad idea to report. I am in NY and they do not have a reporting system. Rattlesnakes in this area are pretty common.
Maybe call animal control and have her relocated? Not sure I would enjoy having a bunch of baby rattlers around the house, I hear they're most dangerous at earlier ages since they haven't figured out how much venom to squeeze when biting...

Yesterday was very noisy outside with landscapers. We put up tape and warned them about the snake. They did their thing and kept a 6 ft distance. Mrs snake had moved a foot over to under a bush, probably for cover from rain the night before, and did not move or rattle once while they were in the area. Today she is gone. I guess the people all about was too much for her and she has moved on to another spot. Really glad she moved on her own and there was no need to agitate her or fear baby snakes running around. Still pretty cool to see such a creature.

Besides the snake leaving last night, it seems like the humidity left as well. I went up into the park for a ride today and it was beautiful with a delightful cool breeze. It almost felt like fall. The ride was short as we saved some energy to take care of a fallen tree across the trail. Art hauled the saw in with the bob trailer, as it was only a mile or so from Shepherds lake. Two guys on bikes who were passing stopped and helped move some logs. Thank you! We have a great community out there. I always say that the best people are happy people, and most people on bikes are happy. :)

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

I thought we were just going up to the worksite to go over "one little person" projects for me while Art is out for his hand surgery, but 6 hours later, we topped some of last weeks crush, made 3 drains and pulled out 3 mega rocks. Currently we are both pretty tired. We tried to smooth things out best we could, but things are not done up there, and may remain a construction site for a few weeks. Hopefully we can tidy things up soon. Maybe even a volunteer work day in the near future.

In the mean time, my diet appears to be going well, but no weight lost. I have done some 16-18 hour fasts, avoided sugar, cut back on wine and I may have actually gained a pound. As I said, I am not good at loosing weight. It also affects my riding when I cut back too much. I'll stay with it a few more weeks, but after that, I may quit and try again in the fall.

I did order a new bike and that could be getting built up in the next few weeks. I tried real hard to make the Ibis Ripley work as it was a super nice ride, but the fit was just too far from workable with the super steep seat tube. It put me too far forward, and left me with no cockpit space and ate up standover with the saddle so far forward. I ended up ordering the Ibis Exie, which is more of a replacement of my Pivot 429SL. The only difference is slacker HA on the Exie. I also plan to have a custom wheel set made. More on that later.

IMG_1616.jpg

I thought we were just going up to the worksite to go over "one little person" projects for me while Art is out for his hand surgery, but 6 hours later, we topped some of last weeks crush, made 3 drains and pulled out 3 mega rocks. Currently we are both pretty tired. We tried to smooth things out best we could, but things are not done up there, and may remain a construction site for a few weeks. Hopefully we can tidy things up soon. Maybe even a volunteer work day in the near future.

In the mean time, my diet appears to be going well, but no weight lost. I have done some 16-18 hour fasts, avoided sugar, cut back on wine and I may have actually gained a pound. As I said, I am not good at loosing weight. It also affects my riding when I cut back too much. I'll stay with it a few more weeks, but after that, I may quit and try again in the fall.

I did order a new bike and that could be getting built up in the next few weeks. I tried real hard to make the Ibis Ripley work as it was a super nice ride, but the fit was just too far from workable with the super steep seat tube. It put me too far forward, and left me with no cockpit space and ate up standover with the saddle so far forward. I ended up ordering the Ibis Exie, which is more of a replacement of my Pivot 429SL. The only difference is slacker HA on the Exie. I also plan to have a custom wheel set made. More on that later.

View attachment 220845
So, did Art work with the hand he just had surgery on? Or he’s going to have surgery on the hand? Sounds like you had a lot done, were there any volunteers to help out?

So, did Art work with the hand he just had surgery on? Or he’s going to have surgery on the hand? Sounds like you had a lot done, were there any volunteers to help out?
Art just had the hand surgery this morning, so Mondays work was pre surgery. We did not have any volunteers on Monday. It was just us trying to get some stuff done as Art will not be able to work for a few weeks now.

Art's stitches come out in a week. Hopefully this surgery will fix his thumb pain. Just by wiggling his thumb, he thinks it has. He may end up scheduling his other thumb right away so he can ride and work with less pain. He's already talking about walking into the woods tomorrow and Saturday to help direct with work at Sterling. I don't really think tomorrow is a good idea, as it is only 5 days since surgery. ....but who am I to say.

I worked Saturday at Sterling and we finally started on the first of a few go arounds on the connecting road. The new singletrack part of Laurel pond/McKeags loop is pretty much done. I'm sure there is finish work they want to complete before the official opening, but we have used it to ride in and out to work, and it is very nice! When all of this loop is complete, it will be a nice addition to the trail system. I think they were hoping to complete these last two sections before the end of the year, but that may be a bit ambitious. If you have interest in volunteering, they will be having volunteer work days coming up.

71397207751__9CB5DF11-A297-4ED4-8F8C-F5FD4F7FA472.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

Last edited:
New bike update: New Ibis Exie built and picked up yesterday. I took it out for it's first ride today. ...pretty darn nice! With the slacker HA I am trying to go with a slightly shorter ( 70mm ) stem. I do have neck pain issues, numb hand issues as well as really long arms. First ride worked out pretty good with no pain or numbness. The suspension felt awesome. Not sure if it is the ibis design, a new bike or the Berd wheels. I imagine it is a bit of all those. This is my first ride on Berds, and coming from a 65 year old, they seem real buttery on both big and small bumps. Bike came with dual lock out, which will most likely come off as I never ride locked out. I suppose there are places with smooth trails that someone may want to lock out their suspension, I but I never have felt the need to lock out ever. With a 28 inch inseam on a 29er, I have never felt the need for a dropper either, but I am giving it a good try as many people say it is a game changer.

I wish I could say that todays ride was the best ever, but my legs have been super tired for a few weeks. Not sure if it is from trying to lose weight, but hope it is not lymes and it passes soon. In the mean time I will try not to over do it on the bike.

Passed the big 65 a few days ago and got myself onto Medicare on August 1, so quite a landmark. I am hoping this new bike will help me enjoy riding into my 70's. ...maybe nationals next year too. ;)

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1642.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

New bike update: New Ibis Exie built and picked up yesterday. I took it out for it's first ride today. ...pretty darn nice! With the slacker HA I am trying to go with a slightly shorter ( 70mm ) stem. I do have neck pain issues, numb hand issues as well as really long arms. First ride worked out pretty good with no pain or numbness. The suspension felt awesome. Not sure if it is the ibis design, a new bike or the Berd wheels. I imagine it is a bit of all those. This is my first ride on Berds, and coming from a 65 year old, they seem real buttery on both big and small bumps. Bike came with dual lock out, which will most likely come off as I never ride locked out. I suppose there are places with smooth trails that someone may want to lock out their suspension, I but I never have felt the need to lock out ever. With a 28 inch inseam on a 29er, I have never felt the need for a dropper either, but I am giving it a good try as many people say it is a game changer.

I wish I could say that todays ride was the best ever, but my legs have been super tired for a few weeks. Not sure if it is from trying to lose weight, but hope it is not lymes and it passes soon. In the mean time I will try not to over do it on the bike.

Passed the big 65 a few days ago and got myself onto Medicare on August 1, so quite a landmark. I am hoping this new bike will help me enjoy riding into my 70's. ...maybe nationals next year too. ;)

View attachment 221550

View attachment 221551

View attachment 221552

View attachment 221553
Sweet! And so glad to hear someone else say the same thing about a dropper post! My pivot came woth one and ive no idea what to use it for!

View attachment 221550

View attachment 221551

View attachment 221552

View attachment 221553
Congrats on both the landmark and the new bike!

Art got his stitches out Monday and he has scheduled the other hand for this Thursday. I think he wants to get this over with. He worked in the woods Sunday and today, so I guess it is all holding together and on the mend. There was a big crowd of volunteers at Sterling on Sunday. More hands make for lighter work, which was especially good for Art, as he could direct more and actually do less heavy work to protect his hand some. We got a bit done.

IMG_1655.jpg

I have been working a bit over by Sterling, and things are coming along. We had a major crush party and got most of the trail out sloped and graded. Today we found gold (dirt), and got started bringing the level up with dirt. ..... It is starting to look like a trail. We saw a good size Rattlesnake on the way out. It was a beauty! It did not seem too concerned seeing people. First day in a long time that I did not see any bikers out near where we were working. It seems that the new redback descent is very popular with bikers. Hoping that finishing this loop will make for some variety up there.

IMG_E1686.jpg

Crush
crush.jpg

First layer of clay
top dirt.jpg

IMG_1684.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

IMG_1675.jpg

Each day that I look out our back door I see the autumn colors slowly creeping in. The grasses are turning brownish maroon and a random splash of red has been displayed across the pond. While hummingbirds are still active on our feeders, they will be gone in a few weeks. Male wood ducks have arrived in full color to start the courting process. As much as I love summer, I am starting to get excited for the next season. Some slightly cooler temps make for great riding weather.

IMG_8434.jpg

IMG_1690.jpg

IMG_1689.jpg

The rain has moved out and the woods are drying out as well. Now that Art's stitches are all out, we went out for a real mountain bike ride today. ... so much fun. After a few fit tweaks on the new Exie, I really like the bike. I know that a new bike comes with a lot of new components that are working well, but I really notice the plush and efficient suspension design especially when I push the bike at higher speeds. So far the ride and handling has been really good.

I hope you all are enjoying this awesome weather!

IMG_2388.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_E2383.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

I had not seen any hummingbirds at my feeder for a week. I assumed all they left. Then I had a few random sightings in the area. Probably migrators. Either way, most of them are on their way south for the winter. I always get a little sad or lonely right after they leave. It just seems like such a far way for these little creatures to go, especially for the ones that are not even a year old yet. Of course, when I get back to Arizona, this all is forgotten when I see a gazillion hummingbirds every day.

I wish I could say I have been doing lots of riding or trail work, but all this rain has been keeping me in the house more than I like. While it is good to have a chance to catch up on things that I have been procrastinating to do, I do start going crazy after awhile. I have done more set up on my new bike, cleaned the house, gotten a new phone and added to my old blog. My old blog had been dormant for several years. This is mostly because I stopped racing, but sometimes it is just good to take a break or move on to something else. Yesterday I did a few entries, but it may sit again once the sun comes out.

The fruit on my fig tree is starting to turn purple, ..... a sign of autumn.

fig.jpg

Back
Top Bottom