Mountain, Cross and Shuffleboard Nats

Probably a bad use of words. In other words: "Several different friends will be visiting over the next few weeks."

I took some pictures at Sweetwater yesterday. There are a nice selection of saguaros in that park. Because they are so close to the parking lot, casual hikers and dog walkers fill the place, but it is still a cool place for a ride. We usually go with friends as it is a nice place for a mixed group as it has a bit of everything and nothing too tech or too much crazy climbing.

It is finally raining. We are supposed to get a few days worth of rain and we do actually need it. As you can see from the pictures, things are looking pretty dry and crispy. Quite a contrast from last year where the desert floor was all grasses and flowers. This year it is dirt and rock, with crispy bushes. It is amazing how all this stuff survives with months of no rain. I hope this rain helps set up good blooms in spring.

We have had some great wildlife sightings. First we saw a gray fox cross the street one house down from us. The next morning a bobcat jumped up on our courtyard wall at breakfast. We made eye contact through the window about 8 feet away. Probably a little close for her and she jumped off and moved on within 5 seconds. They are such beautiful creatures. The following day Art witnessed a roadrunner hunting and killing a Pyrrhuloxia. A Pyrrhuloxia is a type a gray and red cardinal which is quite large. The road runner is only slightly larger but a brutal killer. If you have seen the road runner cartoon, you probably thought the coyote was the only predator. I thought roadrunner ate lizards and insects, but apparently they eat birds as well.

IMG_2187.jpg

IMG_E2180.jpg

IMG_2185.jpg

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

Hoping you all have a Merry Christmas !

IMG_2139.jpg

Happy New Year MTBNJ friends!

This morning I looked out the window when I woke up and saw this. That was how my 2024 started:

IMG_2246.jpg

After a few weeks of not feeling great on the bike, last week was an outstanding week of bike riding. I had some friends visiting and did both extra riding and smiling. I surprisingly felt good. I rode six out of seven days when they were here and did the last ride up on the ridge. It was my first time up to the ridge this year and I finally stayed on my bike both ways over the pass. I usually get off and walk at some point as it is a pretty crappy off camber, eroded road. It also is a big ride with a bit of climbing. I would have never guessed that I would feel so good this early in the season on the tail end of a heavy week, but I am stoked to start the new year on a positive note.

Which brings me to my 2024 goal: to go back to nationals at Bear Creek again this year. This will most likely be my last time racing, but I am good for one more try being that nationals are at Bear Creek again. I guess you know that I like that place. Regardless of results, improving my fitness in the process of getting ready to race is worthwhile as long as I enjoy myself along the way.

Pictures from today's short ride:

IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2257.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

We have had some rain, some snow and some cold weather. When I say "cold", I am talking about cold for Arizona. That would be lows in the high 20's at night and highs in the 40's during the day. All not terrible, just a change from most days in Arizona. We had some friends visiting that got to see the cold side of Arizona. We did a day on bikes, a day hiking with snow flurries and a day walking around downtown in the old district checking out mural art. Tucson has over a hundred murals, many with bike themes.

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

IMG_2328.jpg

We have had some rain, some snow and some cold weather. When I say "cold", I am talking about cold for Arizona. That would be lows in the high 20's at night and highs in the 40's during the day. All not terrible, just a change from most days in Arizona. We had some friends visiting that got to see the cold side of Arizona. We did a day on bikes, a day hiking with snow flurries and a day walking around downtown in the old district checking out mural art. Tucson has over a hundred murals, many with bike themes.

View attachment 230781

View attachment 230782

View attachment 230783

View attachment 230784

View attachment 230785
I love your photos… it’s like looking through a travel magazine!

The weather has warmed up again and I am loving it! I have resumed my riding schedule of every other day, and while it feels great to get out on the trails again, I always feel a tad off for the first few rides. It's like I need to get my mind and body back into it. This is one reason that I do not like to take too much time off the bike. Anyway, I should be good in another ride or so, especially with the warmer temps in the 60's. The snow up high is starting to evaporate/melt, yet I spotted a some small snow patches in Rattlesnake canyon on yesterday's ride. The canyon faces north and is in the shade of big oaks. I am sure the desert can use the recent moisture and snow melt. It has been so dry this year after 2023 "nonsoon".

One thing I really like about my time here, is being outside more. Yesterday warmed just enough to eat lunch outside, and then Art and I took a nap in the sun. A nap in the sun may not sound appealing to most of you, but when you retire, you may understand. We can not fit a sun nap in every day, but when we do , it is a nice recharge after a ride.

IMG_2401.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

The weather has warmed up again and I am loving it! I have resumed my riding schedule of every other day, and while it feels great to get out on the trails again, I always feel a tad off for the first few rides. It's like I need to get my mind and body back into it. This is one reason that I do not like to take too much time off the bike. Anyway, I should be good in another ride or so, especially with the warmer temps in the 60's. The snow up high is starting to evaporate/melt, yet I spotted a some small snow patches in Rattlesnake canyon on yesterday's ride. The canyon faces north and is in the shade of big oaks. I am sure the desert can use the recent moisture and snow melt. It has been so dry this year after 2023 "nonsoon".

One thing I really like about my time here, is being outside more. Yesterday warmed just enough to eat lunch outside, and then Art and I took a nap in the sun. A nap in the sun may not sound appealing to most of you, but when you retire, you may understand. We can not fit a sun nap in every day, but when we do , it is a nice recharge after a ride.

View attachment 231112

View attachment 231113

View attachment 231114
I can take a nap in the sun at any given time, same as a nap in any weather or location. Just sayin'...

Yesterday started the sun coming up a minute earlier. While the days start getting longer on the solstice, the morning sun rise keeps getting later until January 16th. It has to do with being south and the curve of the earth. On top of that, while the official sunrise was 7:23 today, the sun did not come over the mountain behind our house until 8:26, making for a late start to daylight. When the mornings come earlier it is a sure sign that winter is starting to fade in terms of daylight.

Some pictures from today's ride:

IMG_2416.jpg

IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2419.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

IMG_2845.jpg

We had almost an inch of rain yesterday and there is another inch or two expected starting tonight. On my walk to the mailboxes today, I noticed that one of the washes may have briefly run. Anyway, it looks like I may be off the bike for a few more days with all the rain. We certainly could use the rain, so I will do my best to make the most of the situation. The house is cleaned and I read a book yesterday. Today I picked up book two and am already half way through. My freind who is in Brazil for 5 weeks, left me a stack of books related to or on climate change. She will be back to collect them in a few weeks, so this is great time to get going on reading. When I complete that, I may want to start another painting.

IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

While we have been getting some real nice weather this winter, we have also been getting these rain systems coming through almost every week. One day the wash ran, but it stopped the next day. Mount Lemmon opened for skiing. I think they have an 18-30 inch base. This is always a big deal for locals that want to ski. In between rain, I have been getting out to ride. We generally wait one day for trails to dry out some and they have been in great shape. I had a great ride on Sunday at Robles, which is part of Tucson Mountain Park: 17 miles of super chunky rock goodness.

Now that I am on Medicare, I can go to a doctor anywhere. I had a call back on a mammogram right before I came out here and was unable to schedule back east, so I did it out here. Besides everything being fine with results, the facility and staff were really nice. They give you results before you leave, which can save a ton of time if they want to do another picture. I may end up doing it out here next year. There are four hospitals in Tucson and a high doctor per capita, so many choices. So far, medicare has been working out well.

Currently another rain system is moving in, so a few more days off the bike. Hoping this rain will bring wild flowers soon. I do love the spring out here!

IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

IMG_2535.jpg

IMG_2550.jpg

We have had over an inch of rain with the last few systems and the big wash on our street is running pretty steady now. We have been using the bridge. That being said, the trail conditions are really good. There may be one or two soft spots in the 24 hours after the rain stops, but the loose spots have all tightened up. I have a friend visiting for a few days, so we have been trying to get out and ride in between rains. Yesterday we went to Sweetwater. Things are starting to get green everywhere. ... spring is around the corner!

Today it is raining again. We were supposed to get snow, but I do not think that will happen, as it is just above freezing. I may stay inddors today. Tomorrow should bring sunshine for at least a week. I am looking forward to 60 degrees and some more rides again soon.

IMG_2923.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg

IMG_2551.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

We have started a small yard project: moving our gate. This involves reworking a hillside and our bike trail that goes up to the bike room. As much as it may have seemed like a nuisance at first, it has been nice to get digging and moving rocks again. The local trail building that we had hoped was happening this winter, is still on hold for final approvals. So our little yard project is a welcome job. Today Art moved a 500 pound rock to make room for the gate to swing open. We only have one rock bar, so Art did it by himself. It took an hour, but is now in place.

The weather has been wonderful: high 60's most days. Flowers are popping up in the garden and I have moved my vegetables outside into "Thunderdome". Native bees and butterflies are out and last night we saw a bat at dusk. I love this time of year!

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

IMG_2627.jpg

So, the big rock that Art moved a foot or so to allow for gate swing, was not enough. We had to pull it out and get it out of the way. Art ended up dragging with his truck across the driveway to where he then had to wiggle it back and forth off to the side of the driveway. That took about an hour. We really need to get a come along or grip hoist to keep out here. The problem is always, where to attach it? Not as many big trees out here. When it comes time to use that rock, we will need a better way than wiggle back and forth with a rock bar. Good news is that I think the new area for the gate is ready.

I have been riding but have been real tired and had some neck fatigue and numb hands. Hopefully this will resolve in a few more rides. For now, I have not been pushing myself too hard until I feel better. I still have a goal to race nationals in July, but not sweating it if I have a few bad weeks on the bike. I still have five months to try and touch up my fitness. I sometimes feel like the point where I mentally burn out and lose interest is more probable than loss of too much fitness. I am trying to keep it fun.

It is currently raining so using my down time wisely with indoor stuff. The rain dropped temps down to 48 degrees, but it should get back into the 60's and 70's soon. It seems like spring has arrived. The popular Hummingbird feeders that I need to refill daily are not empty every day anymore. The birds are now nectering on flowers too. Wildflowers are starting to bloom on some trails as well. I do not think this year will be extra special with flowers, yet there will be some over the next few months. Spring in the Sonoran Desert is amazing!

So, the big rock that Art moved a foot or so to allow for gate swing, was not enough. We had to pull it out and get it out of the way. Art ended up dragging with his truck across the driveway to where he then had to wiggle it back and forth off to the side of the driveway. That took about an hour. We really need to get a come along or grip hoist to keep out here. The problem is always, where to attach it? Not as many big trees out here. When it comes time to use that rock, we will need a better way than wiggle back and forth with a rock bar. Good news is that I think the new area for the gate is ready.
I think I can make it in a couple of days, should I go pick up Steve and head that way?

I think I can make it in a couple of days, should I go pick up Steve and head that way?
Yes! ... lol. Some expert help would have been great, and technically, Steve was out here in January. If we knew that we had to move the gate, we may have worked together then, but the gate situation is a recent request from new neighbor. Anyway, we do miss our Ringwood trail crew and all our projects. That is one thing that I always look forward to when we get back east.

Back
Top Bottom