Moving to NJ?

M-J

Hey Everyone, I am working for a company based out of mid-town Manhattan that will require me to move from CA next spring. I'll be going back and forth the first year as my family will stay in CA while my daughter finishes high school. I should have a good amount of time to ride since I'll be by myself most of the time. So, I thought I'd try to find an apartment out in NJ for the first year. I'd like to be closer to riding but still within a reasonable (1 hour) commute on public transportation to mid-town as I will have to go into the office 3 days a week.

Any suggestions for locations?

I spent my first 22 years living outside of Pittsburgh, but surprisingly have never been to NJ outside of Newark airport. FWIW, I'll probably bring a couple of mountain bikes and a gravel/cross bike. Thanks.

Welcome!

What location really depends on budget - but for a decent commute and not too far from riding the towns on 124 or 24 between Morristown and Summit may be a good option.

Who in your company did you piss off that they are sending you here??
As a former commuter, first thing is to see what transportation is available and where you can get it.
Penn Station sucks unless you enjoy racing to whatever platform is chosen at a seconds notice. Charter bus lines like Coach are good, but now are packed with NYC people that came over during Covid.
For reference I live in Wyckoff and the Coach bus went straight into PABT non-stop, and took about 30-45 minutes. Another 10 minute walk and I was in Times Square. I hear it is now packed with standing room only.
@Paul H used to keep a bike outside of PABT to ride to his place of employment.

Morristown. About an hour or less drive for many trails. Plenty of good restaurants. Train town (about an hour on the train to hoboken, a little over hour to NYC minus any delays)... And they keep building apartment and condo buildings within walking distance of downtown.

Hey Everyone, I am working for a company based out of mid-town Manhattan that will require me to move from CA next spring. I'll be going back and forth the first year as my family will stay in CA while my daughter finishes high school. I should have a good amount of time to ride since I'll be by myself most of the time. So, I thought I'd try to find an apartment out in NJ for the first year. I'd like to be closer to riding but still within a reasonable (1 hour) commute on public transportation to mid-town as I will have to go into the office 3 days a week.

I spent my first 22 years living outside of Pittsburgh, but surprisingly have never been to NJ outside of Newark airport. FWIW, I'll probably bring a couple of mountain bikes and a gravel/cross bike. Thanks.

Interested in a townhouse in Flemington? Will be on the market early next year. There are several NJ transit stations within 10 miles

Reactions: M-J

don't move anywhere but south to a no income tax state. CA, NY, NJ - they all suck, and suck in a multitude of ways.

Reactions: M-J
Morristown. About an hour or less drive for many trails. Plenty of good restaurants. Train town (about an hour on the train to hoboken, a little over hour to NYC minus any delays)... And they keep building apartment and condo buildings within walking distance of downtown.
Also, ironically our landlord is selling the condo and we're moving out. It's a 1 BR plus small office area, 1.5 BA. Everything's within walking distance. One reserved spot. No garage but a kind of mini-garage storage area that we keep all our bikes in plus tools, etc. The place is a good size but needs updating like a mofo.

Welcome(ish)...
I commute on NJTranShit from Madison to NY Penn 2-4 days a week now (5x/week in the before time). When the trains run, and are not delayed or canceled, it's not bad. The bus services that run into Port Authority Bus Terminal (PABT) get in/out in a decent amount of time, but PABT is like 5 rings of Hell worse than NY Penn.
There's a private bus service that's actually pretty awesome, doesn't use PABT, but is a bit pricey..

Also, ironically our landlord is selling the condo and we're moving out. It's a 1 BR plus small office area, 1.5 BA. Everything's within walking distance. One reserved spot. No garage but a kind of mini-garage storage area that we keep all our bikes in plus tools, etc. The place is a good size but needs updating like a mofo.
You don't get first discounted bids?

Welcome!

What location really depends on budget - but for a decent commute and not too far from riding the towns on 124 or 24 between Morristown and Summit may be a good option.
Probably looking at something on the cheaper side, just because I'm still paying two mortgages in CA. If I decide to stay beyond the first year either buy or up the budget considerably. I'll be there in a couple of weeks and have a car for the weekend so I'll check this area out.

And Morristown to the other poster.

Who in your company did you piss off that they are sending you here??
As a former commuter, first thing is to see what transportation is available and where you can get it.
Penn Station sucks unless you enjoy racing to whatever platform is chosen at a seconds notice. Charter bus lines like Coach are good, but now are packed with NYC people that came over during Covid.
For reference I live in Wyckoff and the Coach bus went straight into PABT non-stop, and took about 30-45 minutes. Another 10 minute walk and I was in Times Square. I hear it is now packed with standing room only.
@Paul H used to keep a bike outside of PABT to ride to his place of employment.
Everyone? I guess I was hoping this group could give me insight on good transit options and what to avoid. PABT is a quick walk from the office and several people I talked to highly recommend the bus options. I hear Penn Station sucks so I'll keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom