Moving to NJ?

What type of riding are you used to (like) and how far are you willing to drive to ride? Knowing that that may open up the options given considerably.

Everyone? I guess I was hoping this group could give me insight on good transit options and what to avoid. PABT is a quick walk from the office and several people I talked to highly recommend the bus options. I hear Penn Station sucks so I'll keep that in mind.
I was on the 4th floor of PABT and only had a few confrontations with homeless and disturbed people.
I would go on buses over trains, but avoid NJ Transit as those buses and routes suck.
That Boxcar option MadisonDan posted looks interesting.
I am near Ramapo/Ringwood and High Mtn and Jungle.

Ringwood has a pretty good trail system (lots of rocks, but they have been placed in the right spots unlike some other parks in NJ), is very family oriented (nothing to do other than outdoor activities), and has a dedicated bus stop on a direct line to NY Port Authority which is less than one hour commute (by bus). Just one more option.

Anyone have a private helicopter they want to share? At no cost to me?

Helicopters are great until they crash. Our company (headquarters on Park Ave, our research center is in Piscataway) had several choppers that took us to Manhattan and back. Nice and quick commute (tho some terrifying rides in the winter). Until one took off from the east river heliport, the rear rotor snapped off and plunged into the river. Our CTO was killed, the two pilots and other passenger managed to survive.

Having worked my whole career in NYC I found the Park and Ride in North Bergen to be the best way to commute, having lived in Essex and Passaic Counties. If you have your own ride and don't mind driving over trains.This way you can get an apartment anywhere. Some of my favorite trail systems are Allamuchy, Mahlon Dickerson, Kittatinney and Chimney Rock. Good luck

What type of riding are you used to (like) and how far are you willing to drive to ride? Knowing that that may open up the options given considerably.
I'm an old downhill racer so naturally prefer going down technical trails over climbing anything. The trails around Santa Cruz are my local spot now. I'm willing to drive but would also love to have something close for those quick before- and after-work rides.

I'm an old downhill racer so naturally prefer going down technical trails over climbing anything. The trails around Santa Cruz are my local spot now. I'm willing to drive but would also love to have something close for those quick before- and after-work rides.

Anything inside an hour commute to NYC will likely be a tad too close to urban areas for you to have a local go-to spot. NJ has vertical but you will amass it by going up & down repeatedly, as opposed to 1 big 1 and 1 big down. You'll probably want to spend some time up north. North central & northwest. Not northeast.

There's a lot of hate on the commuting for good reason. I did it for a lot of years. I no longer do it, and I don't miss it. my total commute was 3-3.5 in total every day. That adds up. If you can make it 1 hour each way that would be great, but hard to do. Closer you get, the more you pay. You might be wise to try to get a 3 WFH/2in-office setup and consider moving a hair further. Just a thought.

When do you move here?

Your bike is technically not legal here at this point. But plenty of people ride them.

Do you like gladiator movies?

Good info, thanks. I'll keep that in mind.
Having worked my whole career in NYC I found the Park and Ride in North Bergen to be the best way to commute, having lived in Essex and Passaic Counties. If you have your own ride and don't mind driving over trains.This way you can get an apartment anywhere. Some of my favorite trail systems are Allamuchy, Mahlon Dickerson, Kittatinney and Chimney Rock. Good luck

Most Northern NJ counties have pretty good transit systems into the city, if you are near PABT then look to be near a bus hub or bus line. Most including parts of Morris are within an hour bus ride. As far as towns to stay in the budgets vary, it sounds like initially, you don't have to worry about schools so that does open up the options a bit if you aren't trying to live in a blue ribbon town. Again NJ has something like 500+ municipalities with the majority in northern NJ so hard to say exactly where you should live, but Morris, Passaic, Essex county area, I have found to be central to the best riding and most is within a 30-minute ride, Morristown, Parsippany, Fairfield, Wayne and everything surrounding is a pretty good start. There are definitely many other options and everyone has a preference so come and check it out and decide what commute you want compared to what is around where you live.

Reactions: M-J
I think you’ll be happier up north….

That being said, I live in North Brunswick and my wife commutes to NYC 3 times a week. While the local trail (SixMile) in NOT your cup of tea. The commute out of Jersey Avenue is < 60 minutes (so long as you plan accordingly and catch the express).

Anything inside an hour commute to NYC will likely be a tad too close to urban areas for you to have a local go-to spot. NJ has vertical but you will amass it by going up & down repeatedly, as opposed to 1 big 1 and 1 big down. You'll probably want to spend some time up north. North central & northwest. Not northeast.

There's a lot of hate on the commuting for good reason. I did it for a lot of years. I no longer do it, and I don't miss it. my total commute was 3-3.5 in total every day. That adds up. If you can make it 1 hour each way that would be great, but hard to do. Closer you get, the more you pay. You might be wise to try to get a 3 WFH/2in-office setup and consider moving a hair further. Just a thought.

When do you move here?

Your bike is technically not legal here at this point. But plenty of people ride them.

Do you like gladiator movies?
Understood about the commute. That is part of why I posted here as I just wanted to learn more about what it's really like. That is also why I plan to bring the gravel bike for quick workouts if possible.

I move sometime next Mar-Jun.

My big e-bike won't be making the trip East. That is for the big up, big down that we have out here. It makes the big ups more enjoyable for the big downs. I'll likely either have a ~130 travel bike or a 120 and 150. Not sure yet. I'm also aging so I'm quite a bit more mellow these days. I still can't climb though as I'm a big dude.

Do you like MAMIL movies?

Hey Everyone, I am working for a company based out of mid-town Manhattan that will require me to move from CA next spring. I'll be going back and forth the first year as my family will stay in CA while my daughter finishes high school. I should have a good amount of time to ride since I'll be by myself most of the time. So, I thought I'd try to find an apartment out in NJ for the first year. I'd like to be closer to riding but still within a reasonable (1 hour) commute on public transportation to mid-town as I will have to go into the office 3 days a week.

Any suggestions for locations?

I spent my first 22 years living outside of Pittsburgh, but surprisingly have never been to NJ outside of Newark airport. FWIW, I'll probably bring a couple of mountain bikes and a gravel/cross bike. Thanks.
Bedminster

Reactions: M-J
Everyone? I guess I was hoping this group could give me insight on good transit options and what to avoid. PABT is a quick walk from the office and several people I talked to highly recommend the bus options. I hear Penn Station sucks so I'll keep that in mind.
My buddy lives in somerville(great downtown, close to six mile run, chimney rock, sourlands, round valley etc. He takes nj transit train or drives in. Hour either way.

I also commuted from NJ to NYC for the better part of 30 years. Now work close to home. Agree with @MissJR that Morristown is a very good choice. Right on the train line to Penn and tons of great riding within 10-60 minutes reach. Northern NJ is where the elevation and tech riding is. Yeah Penn is no picnic but they are relocating and rebuilding so will be better ina few years. Good luck!

You're in luck because NJ does have a downhill park with quite a reputation!

Yes they suck. But the south has it's own kind of suck. I think I'd rather pay tax than live in Florida again. Six years was enough for me.

Where did you live in FL? We are in Venice and love it. Yeah there are no big hills but you can't have everything. CA is pretty much the opposite of FL - in every possible way. At least leaving CA anywhere else has lower taxes.

Where did you live in FL? We are in Venice and love it. Yeah there are no big hills but you can't have everything. CA is pretty much the opposite of FL - in every possible way. At least leaving CA anywhere else has lower taxes.
I lived in Jupiter. I actually liked it there but but got sick of the long, hot summer. I'd go back if I could live on the intracoastal and own a boat, next to Tiger's house. The mountain biking is actually surprisingly good in Florida. I raced XC all over the state back in the mid-90s and the race series were huge back then.

The only tax that is relatively cheap in CA is property tax, at least if you bought a house back before prices became ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom