Name some good vehicles to consider

They really are just the best at everything. Not overly large, drive well, good visibility, amazing amount of space, good on gas mileage. Sliding door really is fantastic for tight parking lots and grabbing large items.

There's just a good section of the population not secure enough to drive them for some reason.
for sure....the nicest versions of the sienna are 45k, its awd, gets over 30mpg, has more space in it than any suv.....Makes total sense. But people line up to pay 50-60k for a $15,000 jeep wrangler so.

They really are just the best at everything. Not overly large, drive well, good visibility, amazing amount of space, good on gas mileage. Sliding door really is fantastic for tight parking lots and grabbing large items.

There's just a good section of the population not secure enough to drive them for some reason.
Their only fail is not having Chrysler's stow n go though I noticed the new pacifica awd eliminates full stow n go for I'm guessing issues with not possibly have room with awd.

Their only fail is not having Chrysler's stow n go though I noticed the new pacifica awd eliminates full stow n go for I'm guessing issues with not possibly have room with awd.

if its the hybrid model im assuming its space for the batteries(iirc the stow n go was available with awd in the past), but dont hold me to that

Minivans are great and very practical, I had no shame driving ours. Buzzwife had an '09 Odyssey for several years, it was awesome when the kids were little and I got to keep driving my convertible Mustang while we had that for kid hauling and homeowner chores. Then it started having electrical issues. My favorite was the repeat rear door electric latch failures. Two dealers couldn't figure that one out after multiple attempts, so we traded it in for something completely different. Were it not for that fiasco, we'd probably still have it.
Apparently the door latch issue was pretty common, I still occasionally see Odysseys driving around with one rear door partly open...

Anyhow, because I am a masochist and cheapskate, I am now driving an 18 year old Sentra after trading in my almost new car to cover a new vehicle for the wife while avoiding financing another until the market cools.

Observations on the Sentra: it's generally underwhelming (read: ancient and crappy) but mechanically bulletproof, however it sucks at carrying mountain bikes and it's really bad off-road.

ETA: subscribing because after I survive a few more months of commuting in this thing I'll be in the market, so I'm looking for suggestions too.

Last edited:
Didn't see this mentioned so I'll throw out an odd suggestion...

2013-15 Lexus RX 350 F-Sport or Hybrid... (I have a 2015 F-Sport)...

It's an overlooked bike hauler that is a pretty good deal on the used market...most go Highlander, Tacoma or 4-Runner, which tend to be more $$. Yeah, it might be an old man's car BUT it is stupid comfy, AWD, dead reliable, quiet, spacious (at least enough for me) and this gen can be had for a reasonable price.

No annoying driving nanny's constantly beeping at you. Hitch's are cheap and easy to install & you can fit a 29er inside w/o taking the wheels off. The Hybrid will get you better mileage & supposedly is a bit quicker...but the F-Sport looks better IMO. The tech does suck, but there's a few aftermarket solutions to get carplay etc etc...

It is boring to drive but I don't care & cops pay zero attention to it. It's awesome on road trips...

IMG_9618.jpeg

Gary Neuman just came on as I was typing.
Nevermind; get a Toyota or Honda if it fits your needs; it'll be reliable if it's not clapped out.

I’ve had a deposit down for over two years. Despite high hopes, I didn’t know if it would materialize, what I would actually get, or if I would even want the final product. I rolled the dice, sold two of my classics to fund it, and just picked it up yesterday. I am blown away.

My new minivan…

IMG_5838.jpeg

I’ve had a deposit down for over two years. Despite high hopes, I didn’t know if it would materialize, what I would actually get, or if I would even want the final product. I rolled the dice, sold two of my classics to fund it, and just picked it up yesterday. I am blown away.

My new minivan…

View attachment 231038
It will be easy to spot you around town 😉

My new minivan…

View attachment 231038
I saw one of these the other day. I had assumed it was an imported Land Rover, but I’m still unsure of what it is?

Does it drive like a jeep?
I haven’t driven a jeep since my’73 CJ-5 V8, but no, to me it feels fantastic and un-jeep-like. Solid axles F&R, three lockers, coil springs, recirculating ball steering, and tank-like construction. I feel like I finally came home, and I can best equate it to my ‘96 Discovery + modern build quality. But some fault it for not feeling like a sports car.

EDIT: I did rent a Rubicon in 2020 in Las Vegas for a Red Hills trip. Not a good fit for 6’4”.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom