Name some good vehicles to consider

Ironically im selling my Subbie a d going with a V60. Consider a 4runner but im gas and truck feel wasnt for me. And yeah, the used market is jacked right now. Anyone see it clearing up soon?

Yeah, I will never mentally adjust to this, ever. When every fossil fuels car has it, I’ll jump to the @THATmanMANNY EV camp.

i cant get used to it either.

If they want to include it the off switch should be a stored position that holds through key cycles, and not turn back on after each key cycle, tho i dont think they get to use it during EPA testing if it works the way it should.

I'm a little disillusioned with the current market. I have literally owned just about every class of vehicle, and all across the price spectrum (within reasonable limitation, naturally). We drive our every day vehicles for 15-20 years, so they need to be well-built and practical. I have daily-driven Classics for years, so not tied to bells and whistles. I have and ALWAYS will own a 3rd (or 4th) carburetted vehicle. That spot is currently filled with my 1965 ex-military Land Rover, which also supports the the 4x4 and zombie apocalypse roles, and is something I will never part with. I like permanent 4WD and think I need it, but do I? With all manner of truck-ish (and I use that term loosely as I do not need a PU) and electric vehicles pushing $80k+, I'm feeling ripped-off and, well, rather cheap.

So, let's talk... are there any true values in the car market?
Here is a link to Hagerty's assessment of cheap used cars that should retain value.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/12-modern-collectible-vehicles-under-20000/

I know you said no PU
But there are a bazillion f150s to make them competitive in the used market world. Plenty of low milage one owner available.
Having a truck is worth not having one.
Ecoboost gets you the gas milage and the f150 has been on a roll for reliability.

Cars will be powered by Elons farts by the time you are ready for EVs.

OTOH I’m looking for a newer or classic totally impractical, 4 seater, convertible, automatic, 7th vehicle that may replace the 6th and 5th vehicles. Go!
-M granturismo
-4 series or e93
-mustang

Cars will be powered by Elons farts by the time you are ready for EVs.

OTOH I’m looking for a newer or classic totally impractical, 4 seater, convertible, automatic, 7th vehicle that may replace the 6th and 5th vehicles. Go!
Didn't you just sell one??

I'm ready for an EV, just don't want it yet. The VW ID.Buzz comes out in 2024 :)

Right now we have 5 vehicles for two drivers. I think I'm done with the vehicle speculating and probably selling 1-2 classics to help finance the new daily drivers. Ideally we'd have a smaller EV, a larger ICE, plus the good ol' LR.

I hear you on the PU utility, but I feel it does everything else a little less-well. I can also appreciate the resale value of the Taco's/4-Runners but the reclined driving position is not compatible with my 6'4" stature.

I'm a little disillusioned with the current market. I have literally owned just about every class of vehicle, and all across the price spectrum (within reasonable limitation, naturally). We drive our every day vehicles for 15-20 years, so they need to be well-built and practical. I have daily-driven Classics for years, so not tied to bells and whistles. I have and ALWAYS will own a 3rd (or 4th) carburetted vehicle. That spot is currently filled with my 1965 ex-military Land Rover, which also supports the the 4x4 and zombie apocalypse roles, and is something I will never part with. I like permanent 4WD and think I need it, but do I? With all manner of truck-ish (and I use that term loosely as I do not need a PU) and electric vehicles pushing $80k+, I'm feeling ripped-off and, well, rather cheap.

So, let's talk... are there any true values in the car market?
any year of a 911. will outlast your kids.

I think the market is starting this slow. More cars on lots. People sitting on private sales longer.

I’m a little lost on your hunt. Give us at least one parameter.

Value, space, fun, efficient, roomy - new civic hatchback sport manual

VW GTI, generation MK7. Does everything really well and is pretty much no frills. Reasonably priced, quick, handles really well, can carry stuff, will get you 30+ mpg even with racks. The 2.0 motor is pretty solid, iron block, they've been making it forever. If you can find the generation MK7.5 it comes with the big brakes and trick LSD from the Golf R.
Second the GTI. The MK5 that I bought for my son as a first car has been great. Paid around $6K, added Stage 1 SW for about $600 and it's a blast. 4 years later and it still makes me smile every time I drive it.

A minivan is the most practical car I've ever owned. Get a sienna for the hybrid mileage and AWD.
Edit to add: they aren't bad looking either
View attachment 214163
They really are just the best at everything. Not overly large, drive well, good visibility, amazing amount of space, good on gas mileage. Sliding door really is fantastic for tight parking lots and grabbing large items.

There's just a good section of the population not secure enough to drive them for some reason.

Top Bottom