Places Where Fatbikes are Outlawed

I was hoping to start this thread to compile a list of places where fatbikes are not allowed that only people who own fatbikes would attempt to ride. Anyone want to start with a specific location?

Last edited:
Appalachian Trail.....is for foot traffic only. I never heard of No Fat bikes, just No Bicycles. Most trails I've seen have a sign at the trailhead indicating what is allowed.

Fat bikes are not being singled out here....all bikes are banned from the beach at Sandy Hook, you can still ride the multi-use path.

As far as I know, Fat bikes are banned at the same places regular mtb's are.

As far as I know, Fat bikes are banned at the same places regular mtb's are.

I agree with this. But, I have seen 1 instance where fatbikes are allowed where regular MTBs are not. That is up in Mohonk Preserve. This pic of sign from back in December.
DSCN3434.JPG

I have been shaking my head in wonder over this fat bike phenomenon that seems to be sweeping the biking community. Then when one of my favorite riding buddies bought one, I thought "oh no, he has been taken too" but last Sunday we rode, and I asked if I could try his fat bike. I admit to riding it a very short distance...very short. But I chose a section of trail with a tiny up and down and few roots. Even though the bike felt like it weighs 100 pounds and was way too big for me it felt surprisingly easy to pedal up the small hill, which was a mild shock to me.

I may want to try to again (hint)
Then once some $ flow improves...I may want to get one....I cant believe I just said that.:eek:

It's funny how that happens Jill. What I love about the fatty is that it isn't a speed machine, it just rolls along and on most anything. It's also fun to ride behind someone and make them fear of being run over by a monster truck. ;)

Exclusion to off road cycling in national parks has not been the exception but rather the rule. This was brought to light many years ago In AZ where access was given only to then be taken away as a result of a lobby group showing that the EIS was not done. We also experienced this locally at Deleware Water Gap. Over the past few years, I think there has been changes that allow the local superintendent some flexibility. You will see that there was a concerted effort by local businesses to get Fat access into Grand Teton and Yellowstone. This is where partnerships with advocacy groups that have connections in Washington come into play.

I want to ride from Manasquan Inlet to the Sharkriver inlet, in the surf but wasn't sure if I would get jammed up. I also want to explore Island beach State Park.

Obviously it would be very difficult to do on a regular mountain bike so i am sure no one does it but now with a fatbike it may be possible.

I want to ride from Manasquan Inlet to the Sharkriver inlet, in the surf but wasn't sure if I would get jammed up. I also want to explore Island beach State Park.

Obviously it would be very difficult to do on a regular mountain bike so i am sure no one does it but now with a fatbike it may be possible.
Actually, I did just that ride on Sunday....rode from Manasquan north to Belmar.....fun stuff. Just watch out for the tides and try to do this ride when the tide is low or you will double your efforts in the sand.

I have not tried to ride Island Beach yet, but I do know some folks ride there.....I'm sure @giff06 could enlighten us.

Giff has the 411 on Island Beach, but I find the ride through Double Trouble to be a bit more fun with quite a few more options.

I have never been stopped or approached @IBSP. We feel that since 4WD trucks are allowed on parts of the beach there would be no reason to not allow bikes. If you look at a map of the park I would think the Northern Natural area would be out of bounds. They only allow walking and fishing in that area. No trucks or sunbathing. There is an entry fee to the park but if you find a spot on one of the side streets in Seaside Park it is free to ride the bike through the gate and down the access road. I would ride the road down to the bathing areas before putting on the beach. I don't know how all this will change as the season comes on in May. I believe horses are only allowed from mid Sept. to mid April. That is what we are using as guidelines. So far, so good.
Double Trouble has a lot of fire road type double track and most of it is unmarked. We ride both the tandem and the fatbikes there and both are fun. The good part of Double Trouble is that Jakes Branch is just down the road from it and Jakes has about 5 miles of trails. The trails there are somewhat reminiscent of Allaire. We generally combine both parks when we ride . While I wouldn't consider either park a destination, if you live locally or are in the area they are worth checking out.
Hope this helps.
Ed and Pat Gifford
the Snot Rocket tandem

Actually, I did just that ride on Sunday....rode from Manasquan north to Belmar.....fun stuff. Just watch out for the tides and try to do this ride when the tide is low or you will double your efforts in the sand.

I have not tried to ride Island Beach yet, but I do know some folks ride there.....I'm sure @giff06 could enlighten us.

This is intriguing to me as I am considering retiring near a beach - hopefully someplace much warmer than NJ. Anywho, just curious how long a drivetrain will last riding in sand and salt water?

I try to stay out of the water, and on the packed sand you can leave with as little sand on your bike as when on trails........BUUUUTTT if you are an idiot like me and don't pay attention to the waves coming in, you can get a good soaking. :( Needless to say both the bike and me got a bath after that ride.

I generally hose off the bike and try to eliminate the sand and dry the bike and componentry with compressed air after a beach ride. I would also agree to avoid the salt water when possible:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom