Ramapo Mountain Conditions

Did a ten mile loop after the storm and counted 22 trees down at Ramapo. :( I didn't go on orange so there could be tons more. Should I start looking into getting chainsaw certified? It's going to take an army to clear it all.

No pictures or video??!?! Shame on you!

I have a machete:popcorn:

Don't know when I will get in there. Also when we will get gas. 1/2 mile lines and police action at some stations as it is.

Funny I hiked up from Back Beach yesterday. Indian Rock to the lake and up the cannonball switchbacks. I counted only 3 trees down on indian rock and 1 leaning over the fire road by the lake. Switchbacks were totally clear. Where are these 22 trees down?:hmmm:

JP

Well lets see if I can remember... I started at the beginning of Yellow by Oakland Ave. and quickly ran into 3 large down trees. By the time I got to CB on 287 I think I hit a few more. Indian had a few large at the beginning. Around the lake there were at least 4-5. Red/White had 2-3? Went down new white section and if I remember correctly there was one at the end before connecting to yellow. Yellow going down had a very large one and I think 1-2 smaller ones. I then headed down CB to the soccer field which had several large ones.

This is one of the main reasons why I much rather ride then hike ...I cover more ground.;)

Funny I hiked up from Back Beach yesterday. Indian Rock to the lake and up the cannonball switchbacks. I counted only 3 trees down on indian rock and 1 leaning over the fire road by the lake. Switchbacks were totally clear. Where are these 22 trees down?:hmmm:

JP

Sandy Clean-Up

I've managed to clear quite bit at Ramapo this past week. Here's an update.

- Red/White is completely rideable.

- Cannonball from the top of skyline to the lake is complete rideable. (only 2 tree logs that can be bunny hopped on the switchbacks)

- New section from top of Skyline that connects to Yellow has one log blocking the exit. I will try and create temp ride-around this weekend.

- Yellow down to the lake has one leaning tree. (Will try and create temp ride-around this weekend.) You can walk under it but it's dangerous to do so because the tree holding it up is small and weak.

- Cannonball alongside the lake (West side of the lake) has one leaning tree. It can be walked under but again it's dangerous to do so. (forget riding around the East side of the lake. It has several large trees blocking it)

- Cannonball from the lake down to the i287 bridge has 2 tree logs that can be easily climbed over.

- Cannonball from the i287 bridge down to the soccer field has 2 large trees with a temp re-route option. (will see if I can accomplish it this weekend.)

I have not had the opportunity to go up to the Castle, across the pipeline, Blue, Orange, or Indian Rock. I'm hoping to scout them next week.

If anyone is willing to get together and help out this Sat after 12pm let me know. Also, if you ride Ramapo this weekend and spots a down tree let me know so i can add it to the map.

Attachments

• Ramapo-TA-Map_UPDATE_11-8-12.jpg
    Ramapo-TA-Map_UPDATE_11-8-12.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Riding! I'm just looking to clear some temporary re-routes around the big fallen trees. Nothing major. Let me know if you're in. I have one other person coming. We are meeting at 1pm. Top of Skyline.

Are you riding or walking the trails Manny ?

Sandy Clean-Up update

Here's an update on Ramapo's post Sandy cleanup:

- Red/White is good to go.

- Cannanball down to the lake is good to go

- New trail section from Skyline lot to Yellow is good. We did a temp re-route on the tree blocking it.

- Yellow down to the lake is good. Did a temp re-route on the leaning tree.

- Cannonball from the lake to i287 still has 2 trees that will be re-routed 2morrow. However, they are easy to climb over. (Done)

- Cannonball from i287 to the soccer field is good to go. We did 2 re-routes on the large trees.

That's about 9 miles of totally rideable rocky goodness.

The following trails will be scouted and addressed in the coming week: Castle(White), across the pipeline, Blue, Orange, and Indian Rock.

Big thanks to the following for helping with todays re-routes:

-Andrew B. aka ajb
-Giacomo S. not yet a MTBNJ member.

12 total TM hours

Attachments

• Ramapo-TA-Map_UPDATE_11-11-12.jpg
    Ramapo-TA-Map_UPDATE_11-11-12.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Today Art, Sandy and I cleared Red from the Top of Skyline all the way to the School. Its good to go...

230071_10151221995966698_950598673_n.jpg

Last edited:
As of morning of 11/11/12, from West Oakland ave to 287, at least 4 trees down. Cannonball up to the lake, at least one tree down, east side of the lake, 3 trees. There are two trees up by the ruins, one on the wall looking over the lake (not the old pine that has been there) and one behind the ruins. The trail leading up to the water tower also has a tree.
Blue going down, across the pipeline and down the the lake is clear.
The fire road going from the back of the lake up to the 287 look out point has maybe 6 trees. Some have been there for a while. From the look out point of 287 down yellow to cannonball has a few trees there too. The swamp area of yellow leading back to west oakland ave has a couple of trees down as well.

I moved what myself and a few others could, but a saw is needed big time. Sorry no pictures or maps, maybe next week.

Thanks all for the help both clearing and reporting. Art is starting a list and taking one trail at a time and coming through with the chain saw. We meet with the park this week and may be able to have maintenance do the roads to and around the lake. Keep the reports coming, but there is much to cover, so this may take some time.

I'd like to help, since Ramapo is the closest park to me now. I'm almost done cleaning up my mess at home, anyone do work on weekdays at like 3pm?

As of morning of 11/11/12, from West Oakland ave to 287, at least 4 trees down. Cannonball up to the lake, at least one tree down, east side of the lake, 3 trees. There are two trees up by the ruins, one on the wall looking over the lake (not the old pine that has been there) and one behind the ruins. The trail leading up to the water tower also has a tree.
Blue going down, across the pipeline and down the the lake is clear.
The fire road going from the back of the lake up to the 287 look out point has maybe 6 trees. Some have been there for a while. From the look out point of 287 down yellow to cannonball has a few trees there too. The swamp area of yellow leading back to west oakland ave has a couple of trees down as well.

I moved what myself and a few others could, but a saw is needed big time. Sorry no pictures or maps, maybe next week.
Nice job Pete. Thanks! I'll update the map.

I'd like to help, since Ramapo is the closest park to me now. I'm almost done cleaning up my mess at home, anyone do work on weekdays at like 3pm?
Luke I had no clue you're a local. Nice! I'd love to get a chance to ride with you... not that I could keep up but it'd be fun trying. I can do weekdays after 3 as well. I'll let you know after i finish scouting the rest of the trails.

Nice job Pete. Thanks! I'll update the map.

Luke I had no clue you're a local. Nice! I'd love to get a chance to ride with you... not that I could keep up but it'd be fun trying. I can do weekdays after 3 as well. I'll let you know after i finish scouting the rest of the trails.

Depending on the day so can I - Monday and Wednesday are best if possible.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions