Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

The top trails are mostly dry. The lower trail south of the pipeline not so much; I turned around when I got to this & rode up the C trail instead.

kKIBjfhex4G7zuu6C0HsocnGbQK0RqfRCfS4zmgP7CQ-1536x2048.jpg
C trail is a BRUTAL climb.
But it is the driest way up

How does this compare to Wildcat, Jungle, and Ramapo?

It's different but fun. There's lots of rock there, but there are mostly big smooth boulders instead of janky, sharp rocks. Don't be discouraged if it's boring at first. I brought @Wrong Way Dan there a while ago and we started out in the normal clockwise direction. The first 20 minutes or so is super boring, easy climbing with no real rocks, so he thought I was messing with him when I told him to trust me and he'd like it. Once you get up top though, there's much fun to be had.

the good stuff is on alternate lines.

Yeah this, though you can still have a good time if you don't see the alt lines. The main problem with Sourlands is how far away it is and how nuts it gets with hikers on the weekend. Definitely recommend going early or on a weekday if possible.

C trail is a BRUTAL climb.

I don't know what this is, but I like the way you think. I'll have to check it out next time I'm down that way 😁

I live a rideable distance from the sourlands. There is a bit of extra credit stuff not far away. It’s worth it on the ebike. It’s a slog otherwise

How does this compare to Wildcat, Jungle, and Ramapo? Wait until it dries out?
The technical trails up top here are extremely different from anything else in New Jersey in my opinion. They’re super fun rocks to ride, and like Patrick tagged me for, there’s some crazy alternate lines to get some serious air/serious consequences. I’m pretty proud of myself for knowing most of those lines at this point, but it has taken years of riding there (and those lines tend to disappear quickly if no one is riding them).

The technical trails up top here are extremely different from anything else in New Jersey in my opinion. They’re super fun rocks to ride, and like Patrick tagged me for, there’s some crazy alternate lines to get some serious air/serious consequences. I’m pretty proud of myself for knowing most of those lines at this point, but it has taken years of riding there (and those lines tend to disappear quickly if no one is riding them).
Are any of these Alt lines far enough off the main trails that riders wouldn't notice them? Maybe they could be put on trailforks so they don't disappear.

I try to plan a group ride once per year here. Dunno when that will be with a newborn at home but i'll try to get it scheduled. Here's what i posted in the Chimney thread if anyone is too lazy to look there. In my opinion, Sourlands is smaller but harder than Wildcat, but Wildcat has much more climbing which makes it feel harder.

Normally, start on Lower Trail 1 and 2 and go generally clockwise or you're not gonna have a good time. This time of year, lower trails are a muddy mess though. Going straight up the Pipeline to the good stuff basically avoids the mudfest even though Pipeline isn't fun. 3 Amigos, Montezuma, Chunky Monkey, and Boulderama are the Tech you seek. DO NOT try to climb Boulderama.

Are any of these Alt lines far enough off the main trails that riders wouldn't notice them? Maybe they could be put on trailforks so they don't disappear.
All the ones i know are parallel to the main trails. Though i'm sure there are infinite boulders you can link together off trail with enough time.

challenge accepted!

This will be fun! I'm wondering how it will be on an emtb?

Note - this is not Boulderama...

This trail is ridden towards the photographer - that root is a mental block for me - one time i made it over,
i got so stoked that i dabbed on the next rock.

1707829008362.png

Same trail - the approach to that root is a left around the boulder in the upper left

1707829109518.png

Lots of fun stuff in here:

Last edited:
This will be fun! I'm wondering how it will be on an emtb?
This trail is ridden towards the photographer - that root is a mental block for me - one time i made it over,
i got so stoked that i dabbed on the next rock.

View attachment 232596

Lots of fun stuff in here:

Same trail - the approach to that root is a left around the boulder in the upper left

View attachment 232597
I have the identical story!
I've only cleared that root once and I foot-dabbed right after it.
It's still really tough on the ebike. I tend to overpower it and lose traction. I probably need to get more speed on the approach but that water hazard to rider's right makes me nervous.

I hiked yesterday evening, up the C trail to Montezuma & a loop around Chunky & 3 Amigos. Trails are wet & muddy in the usual places & in the not so usual places.
This was at the top of the C trail between Boulderama & Monte :
w8R3imc1IhPxYphT7G1Uk0_iq6dUJUjp2AD-DmyS6Mk-1536x2048.jpg

This was at the end of 3A where it goes around (now thru!) the pond that sometimes forms there :
gTrj_P9K2mfeCh95r3y2bRRPw2lCEzSKmKLgn687SKM-1536x2048.jpg

There's a tree down half way up the C trail :
plOUzxnMa1nRDJuQKXbZ99JEZZm_xQOU6vcsK-ggFg4-1536x2048.jpg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions