The DIY thread - DIYourself

Hd has an aisle with metal bar and another with spray paint in a variety of colors and textures. I assume you have a drill(and drill bits)..... will also need a router to make a pocket for the metal piece or a saw to cut the notch out depending on how you want to do it.

As for a pre-made solution I'm not sure iv ever seen one thats any thicker than a standard strike plate so I'd rather figure something else out if it were me.

Hd has an aisle with metal bar and another with spray paint in a variety of colors and textures. I assume you have a drill(and drill bits)..... will also need a router to make a pocket for the metal piece or a saw to cut the notch out depending on how you want to do it.

As for a pre-made solution I'm not sure iv ever seen one thats any thicker than a standard strike plate so I'd rather figure something else out if it were me.
Yeah, I got a drawer full of shit that’s close, but doesn’t quite fit the need 100%. That’s my fallback option.

Is the latch portion round that drops into that hole? I'd want to put a strike plate up top but also have metal inside that hole for the latch to drop into so you're not relying on 1/16" metal or so. Just like how a door latch typically has a tab that sticks into the hole to provide more surface area.

May be able to take a round metal dowel and drill it out and then press it into the hole in the wood, maybe enlarge the hole slightly.

1" wide, 1/8" thick. I didn't see 3/4" but you can mill 1/4" off one side.

Is the latch portion round that drops into that hole? I'd want to put a strike plate up top but also have metal inside that hole for the latch to drop into so you're not relying on 1/16" metal or so. Just like how a door latch typically has a tab that sticks into the hole to provide more surface area.

May be able to take a round metal dowel and drill it out and then press it into the hole in the wood, maybe enlarge the hole slightly.
Yeah it’s round.
I’ll look at that McMaster link. Thx.

Our front door is a double. Between the kids slamming it on their way out, and the dog flying into every day when the mailman comes, the locking bolt at the bottom is busting the wood strip on the stationary side.
Where can I get a metal (black preferably) plate I can screw in to harden this up?
Ideally 5-6 inches by .75 inches I guess.
View attachment 239691View attachment 239692View attachment 239693View attachment 239694

Yes, I know, the original hole was drilled too large. The top is fine, but I’d probably put one up there too.
How about just sleeve the hole with a short piece of metal pipe pressed in the hole?

How about just sleeve the hole with a short piece of metal pipe pressed in the hole?
That's kind of what I suggested in addition to a latch plate. But drill out a piece of metal rod so the inner hole is the perfect size.

But either way it should be at least so far into the floor for support that they have trouble with a battering ram.

That's kind of what I suggested in addition to a latch plate. But drill out a piece of metal rod so the inner hole is the perfect size.

But either way it should be at least so far into the floor for support that they have trouble with a battering ram.
The pin on the door is possibly a standard size that would fit standard tubing , drilling a dowel without a column drill maybe a recipe for a hole in your palm. Ask me how I know. Too tight of a sleeve could make it difficult for the pin to slide in, amiright @MadisonDan ?

I know it's a little early in the season but such a setup should also hold once Winter is coming...

gotmam.JPG

@MadisonDan WHERE'S THE UPDATE?

And a house ownership question. We basically make one of these piles every week, the town takes it every week. Does it ever end?

2024-06-17 19.36.11.jpg

@MadisonDan WHERE'S THE UPDATE?

And a house ownership question. We basically make one of these piles every week, the town takes it every week. Does it ever end?

View attachment 240799
Tulip poplars will grow forever and take over. If overgrown like on my property, take some down. I removed about 10 of them after Irene. My town doesn't take leaves, grass clippings or branches. Apparently everyone has a lawn service here.

Tulip poplars will grow forever and take over. If overgrown like on my property, take some down. I removed about 10 of them after Irene. My town doesn't take leaves, grass clippings or branches. Apparently everyone has a lawn service here.
We're removing as much as we can. Prior owners definitely let things go as they aged. Joy was pointing out earlier that she found a zipline in our forest, so at one point it was all open in that area, kind of mind boggling.

Our town has high taxes, I guess one of the things that comes along with that is them picking up yard waste for no additional cost.

Back
Top Bottom