The DIY thread - DIYourself

View attachment 238217

This is one of those bizarre things, where if you don't know what I'm doing, you'd never guess.

This is far from the "right" tool to do this with, but a wood lathe would be wildly oversized for this [plus side: carbide mows through wood with no issues, but I'm going to use the steady rest for the other ones]

I need to buy a can of white shellac, then I can get busy with it.

1715472367641.gif

My guess

Kitchen Sink Drain putty re-do. I was ahead of the game this time. Last time I put silicone grease on the metal ring/drain deal (not corroded this time), My container of plummers putty had enough to use because I triple sealed the shit out of it....3 separate uses this time, a record! Went the extra mile and cleaned all the scum and disgusto out of all the pipe sections and into the wall connection. 99% done and the last thing to tighten (just snug) was the metal 1 1/2" ring to the drain line out. Light channel lock squeeze and crack....I had 6 pieces (uggh). Thankfully they sell just the nut and new seal vs buying some random drain kit just for the nut. Bag says Heavy duty....yeah BS. $5 is a win I guess but a bit of WTF when I was already DONE and cracked the last piece thus causing a whole "trip to Lowes" event. so close to flawless execution. Next time maybe......

Kitchen Sink Drain putty re-do. I was ahead of the game this time. Last time I put silicone grease on the metal ring/drain deal (not corroded this time), My container of plummers putty had enough to use because I triple sealed the shit out of it....3 separate uses this time, a record! Went the extra mile and cleaned all the scum and disgusto out of all the pipe sections and into the wall connection. 99% done and the last thing to tighten (just snug) was the metal 1 1/2" ring to the drain line out. Light channel lock squeeze and crack....I had 6 pieces (uggh). Thankfully they sell just the nut and new seal vs buying some random drain kit just for the nut. Bag says Heavy duty....yeah BS. $5 is a win I guess but a bit of WTF when I was already DONE and cracked the last piece thus causing a whole "trip to Lowes" event. so close to flawless execution. Next time maybe......
plumbing work always = mandatory 3 trips to the store for 3 versions of the same part and then I never get around to returning whatever I didnt use.

plumbing work always = mandatory 3 trips to the store for 3 versions of the same part and then I never get around to returning whatever I didnt use.
Its as though you woke the gods and they realized I had gotten away with one. I checked and just a slight wet. After review....the only connection I didnt' mess with (because it didn't want to come apart)....it leaks...just a little when you run the sink a while to do dishes. The crud seal must have broken with my work. Sooooo I'll be back out for parts. This time I'll be replacing the cobbled together bullshit I have. I'll keep and use that $5 nut though.....if only out of spite.

Oh how I hate thee (periodically) kitchen sink.

Its as though you woke the gods and they realized I had gotten away with one. I checked and just a slight wet. After review....the only connection I didnt' mess with (because it didn't want to come apart)....it leaks...just a little when you run the sink a while to do dishes. The crud seal must have broken with my work. Sooooo I'll be back out for parts. This time I'll be replacing the cobbled together bullshit I have. I'll keep and use that $5 nut though.....if only out of spite.

Oh how I hate thee (periodically) kitchen sink.
1715828363873.jpeg

The @Patrick method reduces this to 2 trips, one of which you’ll make eventually:

Buy the part you need and all adjacent parts as well.
Then return anything unused on your next trip. #SoPro

I love this IR impact gun. While doing some work a few months ago, she just started spinning on here own, which meant it was time for a rebuild. $60 and about an 1.5 hours its good as new!

View attachment 238563

View attachment 238565

View attachment 238566
Love me some air impacts. Battery is close, but nothing beats the true ugga-dugga power of air.

I have two that - tried to repair 1 and failed, not interested in trying the other.
who wants all the parts - prob only 40 years old, so just broken in.
parts are available!

Back
Top Bottom