The Joy of Mountain Biking

FINALLY!!!!

PXL_20221115_181129149.jpg

The upsides from buying a house from a southern boomer couple? Place was crazy clean even the basement/garage floors. Large holes were spackled. Handwritten note left for us with their contact info.

I do have a million incandescent bulbs to replace.

ok folks... i am currently trying to avoid work so i'll start updating this shit for you. to make it easy on myself, i was going to offer up an AMA post, but then i quickly came to my senses and said fuck that... you people will just have to get updates in spurts. although... you can ask me anything but i may just ignore you.

WE MOVED!
Yeah... you people already know that. But i'm recapping the past few months and, frankly, i don't feel like trying to figure out where i left off. We are in Brevard with a shit ton of lawn stuff to work on so stop on by and pick up a weed whacker and help us out!

The house is great. Not perfect but i really like so much about it. we can literally ride to pisgah from the house, i have my own office (previously i was just in a corner in the bedroom) and it's ours: no HOA or landlord bullshit. we have places for the bikes and a good amount of storage and it's quiet here... and dark... we can sometimes hear oskar blues if there's a loud band playing but, even then, it all goes quiet at 10. (for those not familiar, we lived on a very busy street, right off 287 in morristown... constant noise and lights). so the change was more than welcomed. we also have a neighborhood fox which makes me happy.

and we've even had a few guests! @Norm and Julia stopped by briefly for some dinner on their collegiate invasion of the south, @soundz done gone and stopped by two times... the second time practically moving into our driveway... and my parents flew down for a week to check out the place. we also have two others coming at the end of the week for a few days to visit as well.

NEW BIKE! FITNESS!
i finally got my mid-life crisis bike! fancy little orange ripmo which is a lot of fun in pisgah. i'm getting more comfortable with the trails (and the fucking climbing) and i'm feeling like my fitness is finally coming back. with all the moving and the stress associated with that (and work... more on that in a moment), my strava was starting to look like i died. i may have even gone an entire month without doing anything. plus we got the keys to the house in november so all the group rides were winding up for the season and we were kinda just floating in unpacking mode. but now we're more in to a routine and i have weekly co-ed monday ride with Cognative (check out their bike clothes... they're nice!) and a wednesday women's ride with Sycamore... plus our normal "just us" weekend rides (sometimes hikes) and sometimes a Tuesday and Friday ride or run thrown in there. It rains here A LOT but, for the most part, we can ride pretty quickly afterwards. but the winter not so much... we had to do a few gravel rides and dupont closes some of the more popular trails in bad conditions. overall, i'm happy and we have a lot of new trails to explore.

WORK!
ok... so first thing first.... my supervisor was fired pretty much right after we moved in. i had heard some rumblings something was up after work gossip about her getting drunk and saying a few not so nice things at a company party... well, i messaged her at lunch about something and about an hour later my editor in chief was calling me telling me she was out. i never even got a reply from the lunch time question.

a few things about the situation: she micromanaged the fucking hell out of me. and if she wasn't "managing" me, then she was picking on the copy editor. constantly. now, part of me feels bad for her... her daughter was having a lot of mental health issues and we could see it affecting our supervisor. we told her many times to just take a day off... off the clock... no one would have to know and she wouldn't have to use a vacation day. just go shopping or get a pedi or a massage or read a book... anything to relax. she never fucking did. and it affected all of us. she was obviously trying to control something since she couldn't control what was happening with her daughter. i tried to be very understanding but i was at my wits end and was seriously considering quitting in the middle of a pandemic because i just couldn't deal with her shit anymore. another thing about the situation was that i know she was concerned about job security. she literally withheld important information from me to make herself seem indisposable. case in point: i do the layout stuff and literally make the pdfs for email and for print. i used to deal with the printers one on one all the time. we had a good relationship... so good that i could literally email or call them and ask them for help. when the new company bought out my old company, she started taking over dealing with the printers... which is fine if you're trying to do the legwork and find new printers and negotiate contracts and all that... but she literally never told me who the fucking printers were. she made me email her the pdf and then she would send it to the printer. when she was fired, we literally had IT and accounting looking for any emails and invoices to find out who we were using. how royally fucked up is that? and she did that with a number of things where for a while we were flying blind trying to undo some of the bullshit she created.

but we're in a better spot now and i think people i work with are realizing how much work i actually do. not to say my supervisor wasn't a hard worker or anything but she definitely tried to secure a place for herself in the company by hiding behind "i'm the only one who can do this" bullshit. in fact, some people are so happy with how i've stepped up and "fixed" some things and how open and honest i am about what i'm doing, i was nominated and won the quarterly limelight award with my company. it's basically where your coworkers highlight (nominate) those who've done some great work the past quarter... 5 of those people are randomly picked... 4 get $250 bonus... and one gets $1000 bonus... YEPPERS... this gal got the big money :)

AMA!
ok... not really... but i know i'm leaving a lot out... so feel free to ask some questions and i'll fill in some blanks and elaborate... or maybe just completely ignore you!

PHOTOS!
Franklin checking out the backyard. we have a lot of trees... and they drop shit everywhere.

PXL_20221212_172434343.MP.jpg

Jimmy comes to visit and Steve grows a mustache

PXL_20230301_015203426.MP.jpg

new bike!

PXL_20230324_170355989.jpg

squirrels everywhere!

PXL_20230506_123404641.jpg

Back
Top Bottom