The Road to Somewhere

Got any good all-gravel recommendations in NJ? I'm traveling from SI, so I'd like to get in at least 30 miles to make it worthwhile. Thanks!
Hey Tom,

I think I mentioned I grew up in Staten Island, so driving up this was towards Bedminster isn't that far to get some of the local good gravel roads.

I have done many of these roads but not this specific loop - but I know the guy that created it he's a bit of a local gravel riding legend and he makes the best routes. This is a good sampling of the Bedminster gravel roads. The only part that might be tricky is the part that goes through Trump golf course they were setting up for a LIV Golf event this past sunday and I am not sure if its this coming weekend, so you may see secret service cars around and it could be they close it at some point. this is a little hilly but nothing too challenging in my view.

If you wanted to drive further north from Bedminster into Flanders where I live, (about 40 minutes from the Outerbridge Crossing) the Columbia Trail starts in my town and goes 15 miles out to High Bridge and back that would give you the distance you are looking for. its pan flat and there's plenty of spots to stop for food/drinks along the way especially when you get into High Bridge.

Some really good info @iman29 posted above. From SI, Bedminster is really the closest spot for solid gravel. You can find/create tons of good routes there.

If you want to venture north then the Columbia/Sussex Branch/Paulinskill are great rides. The McDade trail on the PA side of the Delaware is a long bit of gravel to explore as well.

Hey Tom,

I think I mentioned I grew up in Staten Island, so driving up this was towards Bedminster isn't that far to get some of the local good gravel roads.

I have done many of these roads but not this specific loop - but I know the guy that created it he's a bit of a local gravel riding legend and he makes the best routes. This is a good sampling of the Bedminster gravel roads. The only part that might be tricky is the part that goes through Trump golf course they were setting up for a LIV Golf event this past sunday and I am not sure if its this coming weekend, so you may see secret service cars around and it could be they close it at some point. this is a little hilly but nothing too challenging in my view.

If you wanted to drive further north from Bedminster into Flanders where I live, (about 40 minutes from the Outerbridge Crossing) the Columbia Trail starts in my town and goes 15 miles out to High Bridge and back that would give you the distance you are looking for. its pan flat and there's plenty of spots to stop for food/drinks along the way especially when you get into High Bridge.

Thanks for posting this gravel ride! Checked it out today and it was great. Made a few modifications to the original to add a few more miles of gravel (~65% gravel now) but kept it at around 35 miles total. Changes added a few feet in elevation change, but not much. And, more gravel :).

IMG_9751.JPG

https://www.strava.com/activities/9610066928

Thanks for posting this gravel ride! Checked it out today and it was great. Made a few modifications to the original to add a few more miles of gravel (~65% gravel now) but kept it at around 35 miles total. Changes added a few feet in elevation change, but not much. And, more gravel :).

View attachment 220492

https://www.strava.com/activities/9610066928

This makes me happy that someone else got a good ride from what I posted.

And nice gravel eBike btw.

Now back to @xc62701 blog so we don’t hijack LOL.

Here’s some new content. I got back into Tourne and Wildcat today. Just did some streamlined trails to make a nice loop, and it was good. I definitely need more fitness to enjoy the climbs and rocks of Wildcat but surprised myself on some punchy sections. The knee felt good getting into some power. I need to work on confidence more than power it seems. I just didn’t ride a bunch of stuff for fear of tipping in the rocks or steep ups. That’ll come with more time and mileage. It was great to be back in there and not get eaten alive(by mosquitos and the trails).

IMG_7667.jpeg

Hey all. September check in. It's now been almost 5 months since my ACL reconstruction surgery and I'm trying to get back to the usual routine at work, on the bike, and just in life. Mobility and strength are coming back, but I'd say I'm 75% at the moment. I still have a bunch of work to do but getting back to 100%(If I can) is going to take a bit. I'm getting old. It's funny, but riding the bike is the most normal as far as mechanics. Walking I still have to work on my gait a bit, but it's getting there. Running I'm cleared for, but who wants to do that? I go back to see my surgeon in 3 weeks so we'll see what he says then.

The best part is I'm back in the woods and working on my confidence. Of course the knee is always on my mind but I am forgetting here and there which is a good sign. Yesterday I got into the woods by me which has many rocks and a good amount of vert. There's a lot of power moves that are needed to get up and over things, and that's where I've been struggling. It's more in my head as I didn't want to stress the knee. Yesterday I tried to ignore that. I did well once I shut my brain off. I am aware that I may need to step off(jump off) here and there, and that's becoming better and better. No knee issues and just some great confidence builders.

On the weight side of things, I definitely gained a bunch of weight post surgery. I actually made a deal with myself not to stress because there wasn't much I could do about it. Being non weight bearing for 6 weeks ain't good for the prom dress...just sayin. I just know if I'm not active, it's gonna happen. It's what my body likes to do. So now I'm starting the weight loss journey again. Since I've started working again after the summer, I've dropped 6 pounds. My routine is now steady and I'm getting the workouts in so that's a plus. I've cut my beer intake from the summer, which is sad, but beneficial. I'm not trying to do anything crazy as the winter is coming and that's always tough to stay strict with the diet and activity, but the long term goal is to start off the 2024 riding/racing season at a healthy weight. That means dropping 25 or so pounds. I've got time so it's definitely doable.

As far as the racing thing. I'm back at it this Sunday. Well at least I'm going to be lining up for a race. The Freetown 50. "Racing" isn't likely to be happening. I'm still building fitness so I'm hoping just to get out there and pedal and see how I feel. It's a 50 miler up in Massachusetts that I've done 3 times before, so I'm looking forward to just getting out and doing the event. Only expectation is to do what I can and complete the event. It looks like we will be lucky to escape the hurricane, so hopefully conditions will be good and I'll have a good weekend.

The only other event I have looking forward is IronCross in PA. That's in mid October. I'm using this weekend as a little test to see how much work needs to be done for IC. They are two COMPLETELY different events, but both endurance, so hopefully all will be good.

IMG_8056.jpeg

TLDR...

The Freetown 40 event in Massachusetts was this past Sunday so here's the recap. Again this was the first race I've done post ACL reconstruction in April so I just wanted to give the knee a good test and see how it and I would feel. Morning race meal and prep went as planned so I was feeling good but anxious going into this. My bottles were all set up for the second lap and the bike was ready to rip. The format is two 25 mile laps. In 2022 I did the race, and I took 3rd in 4:46. That's two 2:23 laps, so I figure hopefully this year I could do it in 2:45 ish if I was feeling ok. Well that's if the course was similar. Spoiler - it wasn't.

I hit the starting line with 20 other folks and put myself to the back. Bring 20 pounds heavier than last year and with a newly rebuilt knee, I wasn't getting in anyone's way. When the siren went off the leaders took off and I just got in the back of the line. Through the first few miles I hung in the chase better than expected. I thought I would be off the back from the gun but I wasn't. I was in 15th going into the first singletrack and up to 12th after the first few miles of trail. The knee felt solid and I was pedaling well. If you've ever been to the Freetown MA State Forest, it's relentless rocks. I was joking that each one has a middle finger painted on it and after a while it does feel like that. So after a bit I knew I needed to ease back a bit and just start riding controlled and smooth if I was to keep things rolling.

Somewhere after mile 7 we got into the moto section of the course. This was all new. The new race director thought this would give it a new feel and after the recent rains from the hurricane, it achieved that. Typical moto stuff: rutted, muddy, deep puddles and some adventurous lines in and around stuff. I was riding the rocks pretty well, but now throw in deep puddles and mud dragged over the rocks and roots and I wasn't enjoying it. I still rode most but reinjuring myself started to creep back in my head so I took it pretty easy. I was happy to get out of moto land and back into the usual bike zone. I watched the miles pile up and one hour passed, then two, and wasn't near the end yet. The flow that I remember from the last course was just different as they threw in some not well traveled trails. After the two hour mark I was pretty gassed and started thinking over options in my head. I was going to finish this damn thing...or was I? The knee still felt good but I was just getting beat up. Honestly since I've been back on the bike after surgery, I probably haven't done 25 miles of mtb total...Nevermind racing 50. The terrain was fun but just relentless and brutal. It was the reason I came there because I enjoy this type of riding, but my body was just not agreeing with my mind.

Somewhere after the 20 mile mark I was debating pulling the plug on the second lap attempt. It was already 2:30+ for one lap and the next one would put me out there for a looong time. I was getting to the fun last super rough singletrack with a couple of nice downhills. I was flowing on one downhill pretty good, and then the next second I was crashing through bushes on the left side of the trail. Something caught my front wheel and just tossed me into the thicket. Oooooookkkk... So now I'm on my side and tangled in the bushes and cramping hard. It was tough to get up with the cramping going on but at least I crashed on my good side. Rebuilt knee was all good and safe! Bad part was that I found a rock in the bushes and hit it squarely with my left thigh. Deadleg! Luckily no one was behind me so I had time to get up and collect myself. The crash just confirmed my previous thoughts. I'm going to ride out the first 25 and be lucky that I didn't hurt my knee and had a good time. So that's what I did. I rode the remaining super techy rock gardens, although a bit reserved after the crash, but I still cleaned them. I took my time getting to the line but I finished the first lap in 2:57. I would have easily been out there for 6+ if I did the whole event. No part of me wanted to do that. I was happy with how much I pushed myself and it was a good effort, and no knee pain. This was by far my longest mtb post surgery. I was thinking some long gravel rides would prepare me for this...that's silly.

IMG_8058.jpeg

After the race I chilled for a few and remembered I wasn't that far from one of my new favorite breweries, Treehouse. So I headed there to get a couple of beers and chill and then have a nice relaxing drive home. All in all I was sad not to be able to finish the full race, but happy that the miles I pedaled went reasonably well. I actually felt like the first 60-90 minutes was a race. I rode some hard lines well and made some good confident passes. Ripping techy terrain and confidence has been something I've been intimidated with, but it seems to be coming back nicely. I'll call it a good test and give me a goal to come back next year and give it a real go. I just hope they skip the moto section if I do. I did find out that even though I told them I bailed on the 50, they put me in the 25 race results. I still call it a DNF, but If I did that race I would have been 21st of 47. That's not too shabby.

IMG_8054.jpeg

I've been trying to avoid the rain and working on my trail confidence. I got out Monday in the rain cause I couldn't stand not riding. So I hit some gravel in Bedminster. Then I realized how soft and energy sucking the dirt was, so I opted for mostly road. I got close to 3 hours in so I was happy with that and a nice IPA reward after. I've really been wanted to stick to the woods though when I can. That's where it seems I need to do the most work to get back to normal.

The last two mtb rides were in Wildcat. If that place is good for anything, it's beating you up with rocks and climbing. I'm a creature of habit so I usually stick to a few main loops that I like. The one goes near the new trail so I've been exploring that to see which is the best way and work that into my loop. I did it the wrong way, of course, the first time. Yesterday I did the reverse loop and it's so much better. I love that Wildcat can always keep you on your toes. If things get too easy there's plenty of hard stuff to ride in other sections and varied lines you can take, plus it drains well. Yesterday there were a few soft spots but no water to be found anywhere. The really punchy stuff I walked as I'm still regaining confidence and don't want to take any spills. Given that there were a bunch of spots I know I can ride, but didn't want to risk it. As I'm riding more and more I'm getting more comfortable with the risk and know how much I can push. The knee is responding well, but still building strength. It seems I'm climbing decently well if it's non technical, but some of the rocky bits hold me up for now as I'm not as smooth when it gets chunky and you need to really start throwing the bike around. I've still got a bunch of weight to loose and it's starting to come off a bit. I guess that's part of my training to get back. If I can haul my fat ass up the climbs and rocks now, and keep that strength as I get lighter, I should be all good. :thumbsup:

IMG_8094.jpeg

Iron Cross XX done! I went out for this even yesterday and wanted to give it another shot. It was just as climby and tough as I remember! They had to change the course a little so it was different but not a lot. I definitely felt the difference between racing it last year vs surviving this year. I was a bit over an hour slower from last year. That was mainly due to me being very out of shape, but the rain the day before AND during the event didn't help. I was just hoping the knee would be ok and I'd keep it upright. I took the MTB so that made me much more confident. The greasy sloppy stuff that everyone was slipping on, or couldn't ride, I was rolling it pretty well. I ripped the descents and crept up the hills. Rinse and repeat. I was happy to get this one done to get some confidence back in the longer stuff. I cramped a bit but was able to manage pretty well. Looking back I definitely didn't eat enough out there, but I felt pretty good the whole time. I'll be back for round 4 next year.

IMG_8180.jpeg
IMG_8167.jpeg

Oh man that raced dinged me a bit. It's funny that my legs don't feel that bad, but the rest of my body is hurtin. All that climbing and mileage just beat me up. My neck is super sore, my shoulders, back etc... This will take some time to bounce back from. Already feeling MUCH better than yesterday though. :thumbsup:

Back in action at the Dickerson Mine Endurance 3 Hour Race! I didn't' want to set any expectations for this race cause who knows. It's the end of the race season, although mine just started, and the forecasted wet weather was a big question mark. My hope was to last the 3 hours, do the best I could, and not injure myself. Check, check, check!

The start went off pretty hot and I did all I could to get a decent position going into the singletrack. Of course shortly after that it was the conga line just waiting for people to make a mistake to pass. We did get moving at a pretty good clip, but then the fast 45+ guys came stomping through. I knew I could get ahead of a few of my group so I jumped on the back of them to pass 3 or 4 guys and just tried to use that momentum through the first lap. At this point it was pretty dry and fast. The wet stuff was to come. I finished the first lap in 40 minutes or so and headed out on my second.

For lap 2 I knew I couldn't go as hard as the first lap so I told myself to tone it down and not get caught up in the little battles. I tried to ignore the others around me and just ride my own effort. That worked well, but the rain was starting to fall. It started to get wet and a little more slick. Lap 3 was more of the same with the trails getting slicker and slicker. I had some good efforts on the flats, but the hills were starting to burn a bit. I hit the lap to start #4 and the time looked like I would be dangerously close to getting to 5 laps. I did what I could on lap 4 to finish as quick as I could, but I also wanted to ride very controlled and not blow up. I paced myself well but each hill was hurting more and more. The slick conditions and mud in my eye didn't help. I crossed the creek and made the hard left to the finish and it was 2:59. There was no way I could get to the finish in a minute. I pedaled hard but crossed the finish line at 3:01:39. I told myself all through lap 4 if I could go for 5 I would, but it wasn't meant to be. My legs were happy with that finish as I know it would have been cramp city for the last lap.

It was great to get back on the local scene and see lots of familiar faces. I didn't really care how I finished but it looks like I did ok. 18th of 39 in the open men and 31st of 117 overall. Not bad for being 6 months post op and trying to get back into the swing of things. The knee gave me no issues. The only time I noticed it was sprinting at the start I get a gentle clicking, but nothing else. It's not painful just annoying. My takeaway from this event is that it gives me some motivation going into the fall/winter to stay on my game, and maybe 2024 will be a good race season. Fingers crossed!

Teacher's Convention weekend is coming up! I'm excited for next weekend as it'll be a nicely deserved break from teaching and the family. Nope I'm not going to the convention(did that...boring) - I'm going to ride. I'm debating on either staying local and doing some solid rides or traveling to Virginia where it could be warmer and hit some different scenery. Right now the weather is pretty similar except for one day so I'm not sure I'm going to do the 5 hour drive. If I stay home I can use that extra time to catch up on some home projects too. The kids will be at Grandmas so I'll have some freedom to do whatever I need really. I'm excited for that. Local trails are crazy leafy, and I hear the trails down south are pretty leafy as well. So I'm not sure even trail conditions should play into my equation. Either way I'm thinking of a good block of riding.

My goal would be about 15 hours of riding over the 4 days. This would be great PT for my knee as well as long as all systems are go. 3 hour Thursday/7 hour Friday/3-4 hour two ride Saturday/1-2 hour Sunday Recovery ride is what I'm looking at. So far I have my eye on Port Jervis, Stephens/Mooch, for the MTB days and the big ride will be a NJ/PA gravel ride. That is if I stay local. That's what I'm leaning towards at this point. I wouldn't mind company on this as well. No expectations on pace just good time in the saddle. I need to see if the fatbike is working. This is primo fatbiking time with all these leaves!

I'm thinking I could be persuaded into a large Allaire ride too. I can't imagine that is too leafy. Isn't it all sand and pine trees?

I've got a good start to my long weekend already. My son got sent home sick on Tuesday so he had to stay home Wednesday. I had a great morning with him and then had the afternoon free so I went and hit up Stephens for a quick loop. Got in just over 90 mins and had some good leafy fun on the fatty to start off a big block of riding. Today I'm going in a different direction - literally and figuratively. I'm going to the beach with @Sven Migot. We're going to hit up some beach miles before I do my big gravel ride tomorrow. This could be a good preview of the GFBD adventure with JV. We'll see if one or both of us can manage to fall in. Saturday the plan is to do the gravel race in NY - Ride the Ridge. It's supposed to be fun and climby so that will be interesting after a long ride the day before. Then Port Jervis on Sunday to wrap it up. Lots of miles, smiles, and beers coming up.
IMG_8359.jpeg
IMG_8361.jpeg

Might be time for some new rubber soon.

Back
Top Bottom