The Road to Somewhere

Yea that's what I'm thinking. I'm happy right now just riding and trying to regain fitness. I'm more annoyed that I dropped some cash on the race and I'll be wasting it. I'd love to get out there and do the event, but the $$$ is motivating me too. If I can sell the reg I'll be happier about my decision. I think I'll still do something large that weekend, just more gravelly and on my own terms. I'm ramping up mileage and hours, but I don't think I'll be anywhere near where I'll want to deal with the suffering and worrying about damaging the knee.
I'll buy your reg if you work the deets out with Chris,

Dave helped me with my reg transfer! I no longer have Wilderness stress! Thanks @Dave Taylor ! I will still be building fitness that weekend. Now just in a more manageable manner. Probably a big road/gravel ride.

I did sign up for Ironcross in October. That will be doable. If you haven’t done IC before. Get out to Williamsport PA and do it. It’s a great event.

Got out on a big gravel ride today! I wanted to test the new knee and see what would fail first. The answer - my stomach! Seems my liquid nutrition had me in a bad way but the knee held up fine. I even think I saw @jmanic on my way back into Newton - as I was dying.

IMG_7469.jpeg
IMG_7473.png

I’m planning on another good ride today to see if I can springboard myself back into some kind of shape. Or at least see how much damage I did yesterday.

Today was day 2 of beat the hell out of myself weekend. 67 miles of road and gravel, and 5 more hours of riding to cap off a 150+ mile weekend. Knee is holding up well. Fitness is coming back, but nowhere near where I’d like it to be, and goddamn I’m fat again. I guess 3 months of limited mobility will do that. I need to get back in my zone of counting calories and regular workouts.

To add a little nail in the coffin, my di2 battery died 20 miles shy of the end of my loop today. I don’t know what the deal is. I plugged it in before I left for the weekend and it wouldn’t show charging. I tried all the connections a few times and nothing. Since I charged it before my previous ride I figured it was full. Nope. 10 hours of riding later it died and made the last bit just that much more painful.

IMG_7478.jpeg

Today was day 2 of beat the hell out of myself weekend. 67 miles of road and gravel, and 5 more hours of riding to cap off a 150+ mile weekend. Knee is holding up well. Fitness is coming back, but nowhere near where I’d like it to be, and goddamn I’m fat again. I guess 3 months of limited mobility will do that. I need to get back in my zone of counting calories and regular workouts.

To add a little nail in the coffin, my di2 battery died 20 miles shy of the end of my loop today. I don’t know what the deal is. I plugged it in before I left for the weekend and it wouldn’t show charging. I tried all the connections a few times and nothing. Since I charged it before my previous ride I figured it was full. Nope. 10 hours of riding later it died and made the last bit just that much more painful.

View attachment 219213
Too little too late but with SRAM AXS it's so easy to just carry an extra battery as well as watch battery for the lever. Glad to hear the knee is coming around. I may be up next weekend if you want to slow ride the HTT loop again.

Too little too late but with SRAM AXS it's so easy to just carry an extra battery as well as watch battery for the lever. Glad to hear the knee is coming around. I may be up next weekend if you want to slow ride the HTT loop again.

Not too late as I just ordered a force axs groupset to have that ability to carry an extra battery. 👍🏻

As for next weekend I may be sleeping still. I need a little recovery from this weekend.

Repaired knee and you're still killing it with the mileage and elevation. Great determination to get back at it!

Repaired knee and you're still killing it with the mileage and elevation. Great determination to get back at it!

Thanks man! I'm trying to get back into it. It hasn't been easy, but I'm trying to get back to my prior activity level. I signed up for Iron Cross in October so I'm using that as a motivational factor.

Got out on a big gravel ride today! I wanted to test the new knee and see what would fail first. The answer - my stomach! Seems my liquid nutrition had me in a bad way but the knee held up fine. I even think I saw @jmanic on my way back into Newton - as I was dying.

View attachment 219106View attachment 219107
Nice. How do you connect from the bottom of the Paulinskill trail to get over to PA? I'm studying the map to see how to get from the south end of the Pskill to the Old Mine Rd. as another option.

Nice. How do you connect from the bottom of the Paulinskill trail to get over to PA? I'm studying the map to see how to get from the south end of the Pskill to the Old Mine Rd. as another option.
You can take the Portland PA footbridge and then go up 611 into stroudsburg(which is closed to vehicles at the moment from rockslides). I did the opposite direction. Looking at the map it looks like that’s the best way to get to Old Mine as well.

IMG_7482.png

You can take the Portland PA footbridge and then go up 611 into stroudsburg(which is closed to vehicles at the moment from rockslides). I did the opposite direction. Looking at the map it looks like that’s the best way to get to Old Mine as well.

View attachment 219401
Yep that’s what I did with a group last November.

We came across the paulinskill trail from the east towards PA and then followed the same route to 611 north to get to the McDade trail for the ride back.

Bonus is there’s a store everyone stops in stroudsburg the Village Farmer bakery they have great food.

We are planning to do this loop again early fall to see more of the leaves on the trees rather than riding through them on the ground.

6E687E60-66AB-48FF-8F98-30D0D3E30502.png

View attachment 219401
Ah, thanks. I thought that might be the case. Any idea if there's a way to get from the south end of the Pskill to Old mine Rd.? (Other than riding on I-80) Not sure I'm up for 85 miles, lol.

Ah, thanks. I thought that might be the case. Any idea if there's a way to get from the south end of the Pskill to Old mine Rd.? (Other than riding on I-80) Not sure I'm up for 85 miles, lol.
Yea take the same route to the footbridge and up 611 then you can cross back into NJ on the pedestrian part of the 80 bridge and get to old mine.

Yesterday I returned to the scene of my ACL tear. @The_Mountainside_Menace and I went up to Port Jervis to ride some of the amazing trails and hopefully hit Tomahawk for the first time. I was a little tentative to start as this was my first real MTB ride back after my ACL reconstruction. I've dipped into a few mtb trails here and there but the aim was for 2 hours of actual MTB yesterday and I got just that. Knee felt solid and a few of the sections that demand a burst of power were not a big deal. It was in my head a little but then I just forgot about the knee and enjoyed the ride. We did a good selection of trails from the flagpole all the way up to the reservoir area up top. On the way back down we did find Tomahawk and what a blast to finish on that! Of course we weren't done there. We climbed back up the reservoir road to the mid way connector for Painted Apron to go see the bridge where I fell and hurt my knee. It's the small wooden one just after the sharp turn sign. I actually didn't recognize it without the snow and slush everywhere. Seems I fell in the hole just in front of the big boulder upstream. It wasn't very high but enough to tear my ACL to bits. I was happy to cruise on by and finish the bottom of painted apron and have my new knee intact. A couple of celebration beers were had, and then some brick oven pizza.

It was an amazing day to get my head back around mountain biking again. First thought after my fall in March was I'm never doing this again. First thought after my ride yesterday was that I'm so happy to be back doing this again. It was such a mental health boost, as I've been curious to see how the knee would handle the rocky/climby terrain. I've wondered how much MTB I should be doing and I'll be hitting more and more trails now that I've got a little dirt confidence again. I'm not going to be pushing it on risky trails but the trails with moderate risk of falling I"m ok with. I'd call it a big success!

IMG_7521.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom