The (unofficial) Tour de Fat

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I have not, I can say my bike could be pedal without assistance much better then the full fats but still not something I would want to be too far away. Only time I get that brakes feel is at the 20mph limit or dare I say eco mode lol. Riding in trail and dropping to eco feels like I tossed an anchor out.

I'm gonna start my next ride with it off to see if it's actually bad or if it just feels that way after Turboing around.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow another gorgeous spring day.

Woke up with a zero ride plan other than, I was gonna ride. Fired up mtbnj with my coffee and saw Utah posted a ride with coyote 9 am in Stephens. Says slow ups fast downs, hey my kinda ride, In.

This was my first ride with any fast Amish gang which was a perfect barometer to gage. Had ollie dog with me which goes 2 ways, I lead or I caboose otherwise she becomes anxiety riddled.
Then people have to brake check or worry about her getting in the way. She's not as well groomed as Katie dog was as knowing her place.

I can say I will definitely be hanging with my Amish brothers as long as they'll have me. I had a fun ride, hit the fun stuff and got to shoot the shit with good people.

20220424_110723.jpg

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This makes me feel smiles...I wish I was closer to join more of these. I will also be on the E train in the near future...

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
And so it begins
20220425_062701.jpg

5am rise and shine, judging how this morning went I can set that alarm a tad earlier. Put the plan together last night that I was gonna take the Amish bike this morning. A yeah that was an eye opener. I haven't pedaled a non assist bike since our trip to sedona. I actually got off in the first 20 mins to see if the rear wheel had brake drag 🤣

It was slow and not much climbing to say the least, but a lesson learned that I need to switch it up a little more to keep me honest. Ollie seemed to enjoy it more then I did as she stayed way out in front and got to do her adventuring a bit more.

I may go back n forth, or I may stick with human power for early mornings. Guess I will see how I feel when I wake up tomorrow. Do want to see what the stats say between the 2 for shits and giggles.

At least I'm able to stop and take a pic or two.
20220425_062010.jpg
Screenshot_20220425-084039_Strava.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well it began and like the titanic it sank

I started off with pre-work ride Monday with the idea to kick off the new season of early a.m. rides. Tuesday came and a stomach bug hit that lasted the next couple days. Wasn't till today that thins felt right again. Just in time for the weekend.

Plan was to meet up with some long time HS and mtb friends to ride yesterday but I pushed it to today. My buddy Koz was next on the hit list to ride Ps bike since it has been working on influencing a purchase of a emtb. We had a group of 4 at stephens and didn't see a soul. Trails were in great shape. I flated on a downhill run, the old white label OEM shitty maxxis dilemma. Tore right at the bead, I wish manufacturers would stop throwing this garbage on 6k bikes. Either way time was wasted and final play was to add a tube. Lost riding time but we still got in 12+ mile ride and fun was had.

IMG_0367.jpg
Resized_R.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well my weekend wrap goes like this

Friday as described above turned out to be my best day of the weekend especially with friends who carry the things you need.

Both P and I have been under the weather for about 2 weeks. I'm pretty sure it's allergies or a combination of that. I've been highly congested for about a month but our energy levels have been off.

Saturday we rode stephens but more so morel hunted. We've been skunked so far and assumes it's still a tad early. Later went to Blairstown Agway to pick up bales of straw as we are going to try straw bale gardening this year.

Sunday preped the garden area and went to a local area for yet again another morel hunt. Nada thing, it does become a feeling this is a waste of time. Yet if you find a catche you would understand. Came back home and prepared to head over to earthworm to examine shottrack course and to ride up to Schilling Rock. Patty stayed at the lot to Hoop while I was riding.

Logging has seemed to be completed at the Dan Beard memorial area but it's definitely gonna take a all hands on deck approach from our team to prepare for the MTBNJam. So I scurried over to the old short track with the intention of climbing up the blue Dan beard climb because I can 😁
I picked up the tip that you drop your saddle on the extreme steep and technical climbs to keep better tire contact. Worked like a charm and this is definitely got some of the steepest ups I have attempted yet. It also makes getting to Schilling Rock a breeze. As I started heading down I got about 200 yards hit my rim on the tire that had a tube and it was game over. This time I did not have the essentials needed for a repair. Call to P to meet me at the DB memorial and the walk of shame began.

Later I layed weed control barrier on my garden bed and stacked/prepped my bales accordingly.
Then ordered DHR doubledown and tubes haha.

20220501_143335.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I did not cheat myself at mooch

Call what you will but I took a pretty good licken on this evenings ride. One will look at my strava and say oh kinda conventional. Unless you look at direction then you think WTF, Why? Other then Lumpy I pretty much did everything backwards. Today I started with a bar down on the battery and decided to ride more evo/trail mode. Only boosted on earthworm to start otherwise I stayed mostly in echo and slogged around. I recently tweaked my settings so I can get better all around use of my 3 speeds.

I kinda get how stephens got more popular over mooch which was the crown jewel because it's more of the flow park. North is just constant focus on line choices and boat loads of challenges.
You will always earn your Wheaties with a ride in North and I in the past couple years avoided it. Well it's good to be back and riding things that were impossible before. This emtbing has taken a whole new level of skill and finesse with most being absolute ridiculous climbs. There's a whole different approach like dropping the saddle on the steepest of steeps with step ups.

Mooch I gonna keep you in my rotation, one day I'll invite @JimN because I know he lives and rides for the stupid stuff.

Side note tomorrow I meet in Kingston to deliver Ps ripmo and sorry but my ripmo never made it to the board. I know I had a few inquiries but that went to my Cousin. If I can squeeze in a ride at jockey hill I will but weather doesn't look good.

20220503_165111.jpg

Screenshot_20220503-224229_Strava.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ibis no more

Like I said yesterday, had to run up to Kingston to make the sale of Patty's Ripmo to super cool Vermontian < is that right? Dude was buying for his 13yo son which I was super stoked about. I had him meet at our favorite pizza stop when we go to lake george. It's perfect half way stop and absolutley awesome pizza, Picnic Pizza if your ever in Kingston. So we made deal and I bought lunch and then said goodbye. I got new trail guide from fine state of Vermont to show me some local goods.

I brought my bike to hopefully ride jockey hill but the rain was too consistent so jumped 87 south with the hopes Stewart's would be better. As I approached Newburgh the rain picked up again. Figure I'd give one more try and so it seemed clear for a good bit as I approached tuxedo and by golly it stayed that way. Jumped over to Sterling.

Google dropped me at the top lot which I liked better. I don't think there is a better built loop then that Sterling loop. So much fun especially with all the b- lines. I have really concentrated on staying in eco which I did for the whole loop today and definitely earning my ride with doing so. I got bring Patty back here as its really a special forest.
20220504_130350.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well let's not have too many days off.

Thursday I had a dental cleaning and a dinner reservation for Mrs Bfat because she had to work this weekend. Which brings us to Friday and Saturday that was a wash out. I also worked Saturday also which now gives me one day to do a collective of things. For one I had to pull the hvac blower in wives car as that fell apart. Pulled my sons electric secondary fan on his jeep. Neither of these ended up being available. Next was the lawn.

Finally made some me time and loaded the bike and shot over to Tranquility. I guess I'm bored with stephens because I'm really enjoying North more these days. To be honest I haven't been going to North much these past couple years and these last few rides remind me why North is the best of the 3 parks. You definitely earn your ride of every inch there 🤣

That being said its time to start my daily morning rides. Sun rise is early enough and life is getting busy. Didn't stop so no pics.
Screenshot_20220508-200711_Strava.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The thrill is still real

I laid back on posting for various reasons, I have the feeling I turned a few off with all ebike all the time, I get it. Maybe one day everyone will understand and we can all be friends again 😁

Honestly it occured to me in all my reading or should I call it researching everything ebike that precious time goes by with banter for and against ebikes when we should all be joining forces for all the same causes. Most and I mean 99% of ebikers are former mtbers, it's like a family feud sometimes. I'm well aware it's egos and some have battle egos that if you aren't doing it like them then your doing it wrong. Sorry but I spent over a decade riding nothing but a SS as my everyday ride and rigid to boot. I don't need to feed my ego anymore, riding an emtb doesn't make me any less of a mtber either.

We should be embracing emtb, the science already has been preformed that a class1 bike causes no more trail damage then its mtb brother. This study was preformed by IMBA themselves and they also will support class 1 emtbs as long as it doesn't effect mtb accessibility. In otherwords let's join hands for the fight together. I will gladly let anyone throw a leg over mine or my wives emtb just so I maybe could change ones opinion on an emtb, that it's not an electric moped. You can still work very hard and get a good workout and have fun doing so.

Anyways went by the bsa camp today and needed to dial in my new canecreek double barrel shock and I thought what better way to tinker with it doing the upcoming mtbjam enduro. Did 4 laps with some trail clean up thrown in and got my shock where I like it. Man I forgot how good a good spring shock is on the small hit side. Aside form the shock upgrade I threw on a set of XT 160mm crankarms which is exactly what this bike needed. Next will be to address the fox 36 preformance fork with either replacing or an internal upgrade. I need to have that conversation with @ryanp because it maybe cheaper to add a better cartridge then a whole fork.

20220525_154713.jpg
Screenshot_20220525-195411_Strava.jpg

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was with you here

But then this

That is a bridge too far.
View attachment 185428
LOL at this...i was reading @mattybfat post and thought it was a typo...i have never even heard of 160 cranks...#shelteredlyfe

I also agree that many e-mtbers were formerly analog mtbers...I will be there soon with all of my lifetime knee surgeries and will embrace the opportunity to continue to be able participate in the sport I love with friends and family that I love doing it with. Zero conflict with this on my end.

jackx

Finally made some me time and loaded the bike and shot over to Tranquility. I guess I'm bored with stephens because I'm really enjoying North more these days. To be honest I haven't been going to North much these past couple years and these last few rides remind me why North is the best of the 3 parks. You definitely earn your ride of every inch there 🤣
Your post inspired me to ride at Mooch North last week. Good stuff - even in the rain.

Sorry but I spent over a decade riding nothing but a SS as my everyday ride and rigid to boot. I don't need to feed my ego anymore, riding an emtb doesn't make me any less of a mtber either.
You're still riding the trails that you know better than most from years of riding a rigid SS, and you've got a sweet new bike!

Hope you see you on the trails, but it won't be at 5am!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good morning 🌞
20220531_070053.jpg

I managed to jump on an early bird to avoid extreme heat

Looked at an old enduro moto line in stephens that would work for me (emtb guy) to achieve keeping the downs down and the ups up. Need to get my saw guys together to tackle Half dozen dead falls.

Got some mtb time with Patty this weekend which always makes me happy. We have 4 days camping and riding up at our annual trip to Lackawanna state park, so we will hit the usual Scranton area parks.
Screenshot_20220531-163633_Facebook.jpg

I get a big chuckle out of the ebike thread, again I hope soon enough we can all come together and realize we are on the same team.
20220529_101607.jpg

Emtb hauler that cost $150 to fill the tank 🥺

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Another successful camping trip to Lackawanna State Park.

It's funny I first posted about this park in 2010 and have gone every year since. What's even more amazing is that every single time I find a new area that I haven't ridden, this time was a pretty fun machine built flow trail. Only area that has machine built. Everything else is very much like Stephens, terrain changes in the different parts of the park. I'd guess I could put together 30 miles without overlap now.

If anyone wants to play hookie one day it's only an hour 10 minutes from my house.
20220608_113513.jpg
20220608_111047.jpg
20220607_114822.jpg
20220607_104510.jpg

Robin

Finally got to LSP. Group ride for friend moving. We did just about every trail in the park. Needless to say I was wishing I had a. E-bike.

Was thinking of you and Patty... wondering if you had been on same trails. Some good stuff.

Camping seemed good - electric hook up too. Will recommend to my dad as he's not too far.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tots gap, not exactly legal

I haven't ventured here in well maybe 25 years lol.
This was my training loop when I was a serious racer back in the 90s. I lived about 3 miles away. Although I didn't do my full loop but just an out back I was impressed that I did these climbs and rode the chunk on 26" and little to no suspension.

That's the Delaware and I'm at the AT on the PA side.
20221012_134901.jpg
20221012_130838.jpg
20221012_132435.jpg

Top Bottom