Trail Maintenance - don't do this

IMG_8150.jpeg

Putting larger and more wood water bars especially at perpendicular angles to the trail direction with hardly an exit throat is not the way to fix erosion issues.

This section of trail had more issues than not from the previous water bars. In my eyes I have only seen wood water bars promote more erosion - they under cut material under them and widen the trail as all users tend to go around them. Plus the Home Depot materials look like shit.

The frustrating part is the erosion issues on this section were for the most part stabilized. Quick fix - I would have taken out the old "water bars" and just left the trail normalize itself. I've done it to a few other areas of this park and I've noticed how more natural the trail becomes and the "erosion issues" fix themselves.

A proper fix would entail a grade reversal at the top to eliminate water getting real speed in the first place. Then creating a little more of a turn at the end to easily get water off the tread and add a little flavor. It's also frustrating that there were ample downslope areas that could have been opened up to shed water and many large rocks that could have been moved to armor the trail.

Sad as there looked to be a lot of very hard work involved - it was just fully mismanaged.

Just found out about Trail AEaffect podcast as Dirt Sculpt Dave was on a recent one and he had posted it on his IG story (https://www.traileaffectpodcast.com/episodes/)

I have only listened to a few but they have been very good (especially Dave's). Really good to hear what goes on in different parts of the country (the one with Trek and WI was surprising much better than I expected).
@don thanks for sharing this!! I've been listening to a few and it's really interesting.

What I take from this is: plan plan plan! That's how you succeed.

Love your assistant! How do you like the Travis tool?
I really like the Travis tool. I find it’s great for doing general maintenance. Its one tool that can do quite a bit. The narrow end makes it a little more versatile than a 7” Rogue or McLeod. I also managed to buy one with a 40” handle which I find good for carrying around on a pack.

That said, for production trail building/bench cutting I’d take a 7” rogue and a pick-mattock.

Saw the oddest thing at Ringwood the other day. Guy was making what looked like a berm but out of branches and leaves. I walked by with my dog and 15 minutes later, as I was coming back, he was still at it. At first I thought he was blocking a go-around but upon closer inspection he was just building a random wall of leaves and branches.
:shrug:

Saw the oddest thing at Ringwood the other day. Guy was making what looked like a berm but out of branches and leaves. I walked by with my dog and 15 minutes later, as I was coming back, he was still at it. At first I thought he was blocking a go-around but upon closer inspection he was just building a random wall of leaves and branches.

Concealing a body?

He must be from Allaire…that’s how some of the cheese wedge jumps are made. Totally legit.

Follow up from my earlier post about some local work.

IMG_8291.jpeg

The runnels are starting to form. As with all the other wood "water bars" in this park, the erosion they promote (widening the trail and undercutting underneath them) makes them worse than just leaving the trail alone.

IMG_8292.jpeg

The section of trail was still muddy and soft yesterday after rain on Saturday night. Yes, the trail work was new and the rains on Saturday night were heavy but it is a sign that a lot of water is staying on trail. That shouldn't be the case with all the side slope that is available. I still think the fixes I mentioned before would have done way better or just taking out the old wood "water bars" and let things fix themselves.

Great times at Ringwood State Park, quads are taking care of the fire roads and rogue builders are taking care of the trails…

Back
Top Bottom