Trail Maintenance - don't do this

notcho

Good intentions that missed the mark. This shallow water crossing didn’t need a rock bridge, especially not at the bottom of a fast downhill and as sketchy as this. Also had the potential to further dam an already dammed up section of the stream. @trailhead, this has been removed.
IMG_7238.jpeg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
IMG_1992.jpeg
IMG_1993.jpeg

First attempt at paint removal on a tree, sprayed with a citrus-based graffiti remover, scrubbed with a brush and rinsed with water, and then repeated that, one thing for next time as I need more water to flush. We’ll see what it looks like when it dries.

mtn

Anyone have an old draw knife type thing laying around? I forget what the actual name is. Someone did grafitti on log steps near me so I think that is the best option for dead wood removal.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
draw knife is correct! or a "barking spud" to remove the bark........though for your task a modern day solution , maybe a battery powered angle grinder/sander

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Why is it a bad idea to add drainage rock to a water crossing?

it blocks the water after getting clogged - then the resulting puddle spreads out onto the trail,,
which gets softened and collapses into the stream - so add more rocks and repeat -

the better way is to create a channel to control the water flow across the trail and protect the edges -
bike can easily handle a couple of 9" gaps. when the water comes up, it flows over the rocks,
but most of the time it is between them.

I've seen the bottom armored, some crossings get much deeper when it rains so not great.

I did some work at jungle on Animal Chute a couple weeks back to eliminate dams.
huge difference in depth of crossing. It didn't look like people put the rocks there,
I think they were pushed there from up-stream by heavy rain.

Last edited:

snashters

it blocks the water after getting clogged - then the resulting puddle spreads out onto the trail,,
which gets softened and collapses into the stream - so add more rocks and repeat -
An example of this (what not to do) I came across a few weeks ago at Wildcat (Mjolnir/Telemark trail). The water drains from left to right in the photos.

rDJrRTplxVp6aGBXqHRj5l3HUE1GzCdT2vKsvRuPPiE-2048x1536.jpg

r1Y8_in_iZhZNN65oHv0Pr-39OaVPEGx7YevXAtHXdM-1536x2048.jpg

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
An example of this (what not to do) I came across a few weeks ago at Wildcat (Mjolnir/Telemark trail). The water drains from left to right in the photos.

r1Y8_in_iZhZNN65oHv0Pr-39OaVPEGx7YevXAtHXdM-1536x2048.jpg

we took apart a similarly janky rock setup ("bridge" lol) on the far side of wildcat (old koehler on tf), not sure what the logic is, but i can tell you for sure that neither one was put in by any official tm

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
stream crossings....I think that many times is just the Hikers or kids who are amateur civil engineers. Like beavers, they just have the impulse to build a dam or a foot bridge.
Not much thought behind it.

just like not much thought behind their footwear before leaving the house that morning.....
Perhaps I shall encounter mud, these sandals should do just fine.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

the better way is to create a channel to control the water flow across the trail and protect the edges -
bike can easily handle a couple of 9" gaps. when the water comes up, it flows over the rocks,
but most of the time it is between them.

I've seen the bottom armored, some crossings get much deeper when it rains so not great.

I did some work at jungle on Animal Chute a couple weeks back to eliminate dams.
huge difference in depth of crossing. It didn't look like people put the rocks there,
I think they were pushed there from up-stream by heavy rain.
As with anything, poor execution equals poor outcome. There are two examples of poor execution at Baldpate with the “channel the water” technique. It works great in the dry summer months but is a disaster in the wet months. Always need to consider that “water wins” in every scenario

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
My annual PSA about trimming:
Rose whips/ multi floral rose/ prickers are one of the biggest offenders of over growth on the trails in our area. Trimming the hangers is needed, however they grow very quickly and the new growth will often spilt into multiple hangers. If possible, you should try to get the branch the hangers are coming from (typically perpendicular to the hanger) and better yet, the mother vine. It is somewhat amazing how an entire “bush” grows from a single vine.

The picture below is the branch mentioned above. This removed around 10 hangers that would need to be trimmed multiple times. So this method removes the entire thing.
IMG_2117.jpeg

In this case, I pulled the whole branch from the spice bush it was entangled in, which allows that “good” plant to grow better. I don’t expect people to do that but it takes 1 min longer.

Top Bottom