Western Monmouth County Trail Build

asm

It's a little slick in spots but fine for the most part. The low part of Mine Hill Trail going back up from the pine trees was wet, muddy, and icy when I rode it on 12/30.

Crabryder

It's a little slick in spots but fine for the most part. The low part of Mine Hill Trail going back up from the pine trees was wet, muddy, and icy when I rode it on 12/30.
Agree w/asm, I would venture to say this place b/c it was a active Sand Mine back in the day will drain even better then Allaire, between that a the constant pitch rolls that @pooriggy has designed in the flow this place holds up and drains tremendously!

don

Agree w/asm, I would venture to say this place b/c it was a active Sand Mine back in the day will drain even better then Allaire, between that a the constant pitch rolls that @pooriggy has designed in the flow this place holds up and drains tremendously!

I rode there yesterday and it was a little slick in spots but for Jan 2nd, and mostly new trail and the amount of rain we've had the past couple of months it wasn't bad at all.

More than anything, the new trails need traffic. I saw some horse tracks and they were sunk in pretty far so there is a lot of air in the trail tread.

Overall the flow is really nice. Besides traffic and compaction some areas need to be opened up and more inslope in some areas but there is a lot of potential there. Bonus: I heard Allaire was stuffed yesterday but I only saw a couple local dirt bike kids at Perrinville yesterday. Just wish it wasn't an hour from my house (damn Monmouth County is big!)

Crabryder

I rode there yesterday and it was a little slick in spots but for Jan 2nd, and mostly new trail and the amount of rain we've had the past couple of months it wasn't bad at all.

More than anything, the new trails need traffic. I saw some horse tracks and they were sunk in pretty far so there is a lot of air in the trail tread.

Overall the flow is really nice. Besides traffic and compaction some areas need to be opened up and more inslope in some areas but there is a lot of potential there. Bonus: I heard Allaire was stuffed yesterday but I only saw a couple local dirt bike kids at Perrinville yesterday. Just wish it wasn't an hour from my house (damn Monmouth County is big!)
Yeah, seen those horseshoe prints going down to the field (rode over those with no mud or tire tread marks whatsoever) and no doubt the place can use some compaction but at the same time it's probably why I never see any visible puddles on most any of the newer cut trails (porosity), certainly in the bottom of the bowl where asm was mentioning and some of the video posted, it gets and stays wet. Talking to @pooriggy, trails cut by his crew won't ever be down that low.

On the Allaire side was there Friday, packed as usual but in it's defense it was sunny 66 degrees on a mixed holiday week (that's why I was there), and seen many visible puddles.

Crabryder

20230102_162321-jpg.203945

Gone--------------> Thanks!

Davinchia1981

I rode here today and I had a blast. The trail work is great. Decided to ride to the other side of the trail by car because I saw a hunter was out so no need to disturb them. Overall I was very impressed and the conditions were as good as you can get for winter. Drains like allaire due to the sandy soil and was still frozen at 7 in the morning. I know I keep saying it every time you post about TM but I hope to get out and help when I can. We had smiles the whole time.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
We are in the bowl.

The plan is to clear vegetation this winter and start tread work in March.

The goal is to remove overgrown vegetation from areas that we anticipate putting trails in this year. It's much easier to clear invasives now, when they are not actively growing.

We are working Wednesdays from 2pm-4:30pm, come out and help if you can.

Park Rangers ran the brush hog and cleared deadfall in the morning. Volunteers followed up with raking off what was mowed. Thanks @Crabryder, @Hair Face, @snashters, Larry, Steve, and Mike T.
20230111_121729.jpg
20230111_154102.jpg
20230111_154134.jpg

PRus

These trails dry out amazingly well. Perfect condition today after yesterday’s heavy rain.
Also found the staked out connector trail to Perrineville Lake. Expected a route alongside the field, what a nice surprise, even that will have a nice winding flow to it.
Great layout overall.
Thanks for all the work so far.
Will try my best to join in upcoming trail build days.

Crabryder

It is amazing how well the mine/pine hill side drains, been tighten up some of the burms in recent Sunday mornings then checking them after heavier rains, haven't seen any standing water ever, place was happening yesterday lots of hikers after township Facebook post touting the view at the top

Last edited:

grampaaah2

It is amazing how well the mine/pine hill side drains, been tighten up some of the burms in recent Sunday mornings then checking them after heavier rains, haven't seen any standing water ever, place was happening yesterday lots of hikers after township Facebook post touting the view at the top
@Crabryder good meeting you out there and thanks to everyone for making some really fun trails that keep expanding and getting better

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Work was begun last week building tread for more trail. We have a lot planned and could use the help. Please come out if you can.

Our next Saturday date is 4/22, 9-12pm. Also we work every Wednesday from 2pm-4:30pm.

If you plan to attend a volunteer session please reach out to me so that I can bring enough tools and get you registered in our system. @Chris(NJ)

20230329_163002.jpg

Crabryder

@Crabryder good meeting you out there and thanks to everyone for making some really fun trails that keep expanding and gettihttps://mtbnj.com/forum/members/.14330/
@grampaaah2 nice talking with you also, I went over to the Clayton forum and noticed a disparity instantly on how young the TM crew was-> @pooriggy (?). Hopefully the Mon.Co. recruiting signs will bring out some young-bloods for some of the Perrineville TM's, until then "Old Guys Rule";)

Top Bottom