Wharton Conditions

Someone has been spraying blue paint on trees and posts along the MTB trails. Along with being ugly, it has the potential to confuse first time visitors because the blue spraying is being done on the trails with no regard to their current blazed/mapped colors. Forestry staff has been notified. If you know, or see, the person with the rattle can. Please ask them to stop. Thanks.

bluepaintpost.jpg

Someone has been spraying blue paint on trees and posts along the MTB trails. Along with being ugly, it has the potential to confuse first time visitors because the blue spraying is being done on the trails with no regard to their current blazed/mapped colors. Forestry staff has been notified. If you know, or see, the person with the rattle can. Please ask them to stop. Thanks.

View attachment 220606
Same thing was occurring back in the spring at Rancocas State Park. Some dude decided to cut new trails, with new colors and installed his own 2x4 trailmarkers that definitely took some post hole digging, complete with naming it Hank's Trail. During a lunch break walk, I came upon some park staff who had were closing a trail and spray painting over the tree markings. He basically made new ST thru wetlands. Haven't been back there in awhile, may have to go look tomorrow.

Went to Rancocas S.P. for a lunch walk. Looks as if park management has not tried to stop the rogue blazing and marking. Almost every tree is blazed along white.
20230811_124913.jpg

Paint over paint over paint
20230811_123655.jpg

Wouldn't want to clip this with a pedal or wheel.
20230811_124327.jpg

20230811_120743.jpg

Next Wharton MTB Trail Maintenance is Sunday 10/8/23. Everyone is invited. Must be over 18 years old. Meet in the lot at 9:00. Bring; bug spray, water, snacks, suitable footwear, and a sense of humor. You will be asked to sign a waiver. Clippers will be provided. Thanks! Current plan is to brush back the west side of the PBT. Pedal or ride (truck seating is limited) back to the work location. Unsuitable weather/conditions cancels.

The Batsto Country Living Fair is Sunday 10/15/23. The Batsto area will be very crowded. Plan accordingly.

351130705_606315404929962_5511402962227177579_n.jpg

Next Wharton MTB Trail Maintenance is Sunday 10/8/23. Everyone is invited. Must be over 18 years old. Meet in the lot at 9:00. Bring; bug spray, water, snacks, suitable footwear, and a sense of humor. You will be asked to sign a waiver. Clippers will be provided. Thanks! Current plan is to brush back the west side of the PBT. Pedal or ride (truck seating is limited) back to the work location. Unsuitable weather/conditions cancels.

The Batsto Country Living Fair is Sunday 10/15/23. The Batsto area will be very crowded. Plan accordingly.

View attachment 224080
Hi Kurt, will not make in October I am in Spain. Also having some medical issues. Hopefully I will be alright by November....

Thanks to @moray42 , @Sandshark , @sj_john , and KatanaBoy, the west side of the PBT was brushed back today, from the Huckleberry Trail to the Tulpehocken Trail. Big bonus was seeing a sweet sounding Edsel wagon in the Batso lot afterwards. Live The Gnar!

Last edited:
Our next scheduled trail maintenance is Sunday 11/12/23. The current plan is to clip back the "car wash" on the east side of the Huckleberry Trail. Details to follow. Last weeks storms dropped more trees and limbs. We are working our way around with axes and handsaws clearing it out. If you encounter blowdowns on your rides, and can SAFELY drag them off the trail, please do. It gives the crew more time to work on the big ones. Thanks!

IMG_0863.jpg

Our next scheduled trail maintenance is Sunday 11/12/23. The current plan is to clip back the "car wash" on the east side of the Huckleberry Trail. Details to follow. Last weeks storms dropped more trees and limbs. We are working our way around with axes and handsaws clearing it out. If you encounter blowdowns on your rides, and can SAFELY drag them off the trail, please do. It gives the crew more time to work on the big ones. Thanks!

View attachment 225916
Thanks Kurt. It looks like I am on the better side of recovering. As of now I will be there for TM.

View attachment 225916
Might be cleared by the dr by then bud, maybe left handed axe work....

I was out there two fridays ago and cleared about ten miles of dead fall counterclockwise. Cut about five with the saw and dragged others off. I left some real small ones alone. I saw where the recent brush back was completed. I also noticed that someone cut a live tree down at that real tight “bar hitting” spot about 13 miles in, going counter clockwise. That was not me.

Last edited:
The next JORBA-Wharton Chapter MTB Trail Maintenance is Sunday 11/12/23. All the usual. Everyone is invited. Must be over 18 years old. Meet in the lot at 9:00. Bring; bug spray, water, snacks, suitable footwear, and a sense of humor. You will be asked to sign a waiver. Clippers will be provided. Thanks! Current plan is to brush back the Huckleberry Trail. Pedal or ride (truck seating is limited) back to the work location. Unsuitable weather/conditions cancels. (Roaming trail gnomes Mike and Gordon pictured removing deadfall from the Oak Hill Trail.)

IMG_0889.jpg

The next JORBA-Wharton Chapter MTB Trail Maintenance is Sunday 11/12/23. All the usual. Everyone is invited. Must be over 18 years old. Meet in the lot at 9:00. Bring; bug spray, water, snacks, suitable footwear, and a sense of humor. You will be asked to sign a waiver. Clippers will be provided. Thanks! Current plan is to brush back the Huckleberry Trail. Pedal or ride (truck seating is limited) back to the work location. Unsuitable weather/conditions cancels. (Roaming trail gnomes Mike and Gordon pictured removing deadfall from the Oak Hill Trail.)

View attachment 226477
Road blue and white today. Somebody was busy with a saw. Nice work............

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions