Wharton Conditions

Thanks a bunch for the tree removal! The trails were in great shape today. Great weather, ran the orange trail twice today, reverse on the second. Was a goal I was working on.

I might have ran into some of you gents today, was riding a green fatbike.
We've probably met during a prior stop-n-chop ride.
Was out Saturday w/ the dog on a little used double track north of the Huckleberry Trail. One of the recent fires burned hot in that area!

IMG_0963.jpg

Cleared almost two miles of the middle of the Huckleberry Trail (blue:bike) this AM. Met another MTBr that mentioned the Oak Hill Trail (white:bike) had a lot of deadfalls. Will be working my way around this week. We might get a clear trail for Christmas!

On the way back to the work area, found this car oddly stuck on a sand road. Which reminded me of Austin Powers. Was chuckling for the next mile.

IMG_0975.jpg

Any word on the helicopter crash? Haven’t seen where it went down.
From the channel 6 website, "New Jersey State Park Police say a debris field was located shortly after midnight a few hundred yards from Mullica River Road, in the area of Middle Road and Quaker Bridge Atsion Road in Washington Twp." "State park police say Quaker Bridge Road, Mullica River Road and Middle Road - all unpaved local roads within the forest - were closed as the investigation continues."

Thats several miles north of the MTB Penn Branch Trail. If you're planning to reach the MTB trails from rt. 206/Atsion, you'll likely need to find another route instead of Quaker Bridge Road.

Cleared almost two miles of the middle of the Huckleberry Trail (blue:bike) this AM. Met another MTBr that mentioned the Oak Hill Trail (white:bike) had a lot of deadfalls. Will be working my way around this week. We might get a clear trail for Christmas!

On the way back to the work area, found this car oddly stuck on a sand road. Which reminded me of Austin Powers. Was chuckling for the next mile.

View attachment 229612

Didnt put that winch to work?

Happy New Year! A big thank you to everyone that pitched in to clear the trails after the last storm. Our next scheduled maintenance day is Sunday 1/7/24. We are watching the weather forecast and will decide by Thursday night whether or not we need to reschedule. Thanks!

View attachment 230329
Our scheduled 1/7/24 trail maintenance is postponed till later in the month. Stay safe.

The last storm dropped many more trees.
This is a true statement ... I drove out there last night because I was feeling stir crazy after not being outdoors at all for four days and was hoping to do a nice figure 8 to combine orange and blue. Blue was an absolute shitshow - there must be at least 40 or 50 trees down across the trail (some you can ride over, many more you can't.) It took forever to get through it, so it kind of killed my plan for the night - by the time I crossed Blue the first time, I knew my light wouldn't last for another 20 or so miles and I really didn't want to ride it again to complete the figure 8, so I had to reconsider. Orange was a bit better for what I rode, but I didn't do a whole lot of it.

Just an FYI for anyone heading out there - the trails themselves are in rough shape right now, too, with sand and pine needle drifts and small branches that were deposited by all the water that flowed through there making it a much bumpier ride than usual. It's not bad, but if you're on a tight schedule just know it will ride a bit slower than usual right now.

Capture.JPG

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions