what do you read?

Spotify also lets you listen to up to 15 hours of audiobooks a month now if you're a subscribed.

With just about a week and a half left in the year, what was your favorite read this year? And are you looking forward to anything in particular in 2024?

Goodreads gives each user their "Year in Books", so I was looking through my list for the year and I've had quite a few books I really enjoyed. But overall, I think my choice for favorite in 2023 was easy - MR Carey's "Infinity Gate" was such a fun story: it was one of those books that I just got lost in and really couldn't put down. The second (and, unfortunately, it looks like final) installment in the series ("Echo of Worlds") is due out next June, and I've already reserved a copy.

As for looking forward to next year, aside from "Echo of Worlds", I've also reserved a copy of Tchaicovsky's "House of Open Wounds" (the second installment of his Tyrant Philosophers series.) I also just found out today that Robert Jackson Bennett is publishing the first book ("The Tainted Cup") in his next series after the Founder's Trilogy in 2024, and Erik Larson has a book on the lead-up to the Civil War coming soon ("The Demon of Unrest") that I'd like to check out. I was doing some Xmas shopping tonight and was considering "The Wager" by David Grann as a gift for someone in my family, but I kind of realized that's right up my alley, too. Other than that, I usually read some kind of cycling history or memoir, but I don't really have anything on my radar right now.

I read a lot of nonfiction but will sometimes pick up something recommended. I read a bunch of David Sedaris this year...and also enjoyed a biography about someone with Asperger's.

I keep track on Goodreads. I originally set a goal of reading 40 books this year. I'm at 61 as of today with another to finish up this weekend. Guess I better up my goal for 2024!

Last 3 books for me

Zero Days - Ruth Ware (currently reading)
The Silent Patient - Alex Michaelides
The Plot - Jean Hanff Korelitz

I read a lot of nonfiction but will sometimes pick up something recommended. I read a bunch of David Sedaris this year...and also enjoyed a biography about someone with Asperger's.

I keep track on Goodreads. I originally set a goal of reading 40 books this year. I'm at 61 as of today with another to finish up this weekend. Guess I better up my goal for 2024!
Wow that's a lot, I'm actually at the same number but they are audiobooks. 1000000059.jpg

If you are not enjoying a book, do you give up on it or finish it?

There are more great books out there than you could possibly read in a lifetime. So if you aren't enjoying what you are reading, read something else. My senior year high school english teacher basically told us that once, though he pointed out that if told us to read it, then tough shit.

Question for you readers...

If you are not enjoying a book, do you give up on it or finish it?
I used to be of the mind to finish what I started. Over the last few years, I've gotten better at cutting my losses. I try to give it a fair chance, but if 20% thru and I'm still not engaged, not yet at the point of "I don't want to put this down" then I bail.

To date, I've yet to regret those decisions.

Back
Top Bottom