Wildlife

Funny, I always knew it as "Red touches yellow, kills a fellow. Red touches black, friend of Jack"

None of those rhymes are accurate - there are many genetic variations. Best way to tell is the head - if it's black, stand back. FYI coral snakes are common down here.

I've been riding there for 30 years or so and have never seen that snake there. @Ronnie B Where in the park did you see it?
It was on the Grand Tour, if you see the divit inside the circle, that was me trying to get a photo of it, but alas I failed.

Screenshot_20230603-112739~2.png

It was originally laying across the trail, in fact I thought it might have been dead until it slithered into the brush.

Out for a walk earlier. Suddenly, 150 pounds of dogs nearly tear my left arm off, pulling at the leashes, yapping and whining. A whole lot of commotion with the three of us making all kinds of noise but the eff'n buck sitting in the shade of some bushes just across the street didn't even blink and eye. No respect.

IMG_8413.jpeg

So, I went back after on my bike and did loops on the street right in front of him, swooping in, staring him down, nothing. He just sat there full of attitude. He did finally leave when I started bouncing the bike about 10 ft in front of him. Disgusted by my display, I guess.

So today I had to detour off my planned road ride route because my rear der shifter cable shit the bed right before I would have been heading down a long descent (rockaway road). Called and audible and was able to make it about 5 miles to the Marty’s HB shop just as they opened and they fixed it up for me.

Climbing back out of HB just passing Vorhees state park I see a car stopped in the middle of the road. I quickly realize across the am street is a Momma Bear and her two cubs. If I was alone I would have kept going. Or I was gonna turn around and bomb back into HB. but using the car to block me I took pics and some video. Momma bear seemed relatively calm being in the shadows in the woods and me and the car being a few hundred feet away.

Can’t post the video here I will try to make it a shareable link. But here’s a zoomed in pic.

A69CDD7A-EA2C-472C-90FD-6222410A2382.jpegC18361FF-3E85-44F3-9263-7F863C58B33B.jpeg08411B28-2068-4E3D-A0BE-AF2AC706C886.jpeg

So today I had to detour off my planned road ride route because my rear der shifter cable shit the bed right before I would have been heading down a long descent (rockaway road). Called and audible and was able to make it about 5 miles to the Marty’s HB shop just as they opened and they fixed it up for me.

Climbing back out of HB just passing Vorhees state park I see a car stopped in the middle of the road. I quickly realize across the am street is a Momma Bear and her two cubs. If I was alone I would have kept going. Or I was gonna turn around and bomb back into HB. but using the car to block me I took pics and some video. Momma bear seemed relatively calm being in the shadows in the woods and me and the car being a few hundred feet away.

Can’t post the video here I will try to make it a shareable link. But here’s a zoomed in pic.

View attachment 215008View attachment 215009View attachment 215010
See if this works the video is an iCloud link

Back
Top Bottom