Working for our possessions

I was getting my hair cut down here in an old school barber shop a week ago. It was a little...redneckish.

Bunch of guys talking for an hour about RVs. Between the cost of the RV, tow vehicle, gas, campground costs (not cheap) it gets really crazy. And the large ones basically just get parked in a glorified trailer park in the woods. And it seems like all the guys do is mostly go to Florida and park in those huge RV parks. The parks are also overly crowded now and you need to get your reservations 6 months in advance when they open up the slots.
My neighbor's is the size of a Greyhound bus. They still pay $1000's to park for the month down at the shore. Quite the bargain.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2020-winnebago-revel-2/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2021-earthcruiser-fx/

can we talk about your shit? That's what really turns me off about vanlife. Assuming cassette toilet, wheeling your own shit and dumping it yourself. A flushable toilet not sure I can give up. I definitely can get my hands dirty but every few days seems a bit much

What is the closest distance or area you can drive out of NJ to really take advantage of vanlife (sorry @cdrmtbiker ). All these picturesque desserts are always in mid west or west.
One of the reasons I love the van is for the shitter and shower. The cassette toilet isn't really that bad to dump. You get used to it and becomes part of the routine. Believe me I am a germaphobe so if I can get used to it anyone can. The nice thing about a cassette toilet compared to a typical black tank (which I have had in travel trailers) in an RV is that you can dump it anywhere. I have dumped it in public bathrooms, dump stations, pit toilets, my home bathroom. If you get the right chemical to break down the waste it just comes out as a colored liquid and doesn't smell like shit. I dump every three days for 2 and takes 5 mins.

The closest place to NJ that has legal dispersed camping is probably George Washington & Jefferson National Forests in VA and WV. There are other places to "stealth" camp in the northeast but legit dispersed camping is done out west. On the east coast I usually stay in State Park or National Park campgrounds or use Harvest Hosts (free camping on private land).

I would much rather sleep in my van than a hotel. I have a Purple mattress in the van and its comfortable. I have heat and AC.

Like @soundz mentioned a van is a great way to travel because you can park it anywhere.

It's not for everyone. I have traveled around the country for weeks at a time in a car staying at hotels, travel trailer staying in campgrounds, and a camper van staying on public land, camp grounds, and private land. I will say the van has worked out the best for us.

There's a serious point where living out of a van/RV makes no sense on the dollars to value equation. Especially the bigger you go in Van/RV costs, that pays for a lot of flights & hotels. IE, places with toilets where someone else cleans them.

NJ (East of the Mississippi in general) is a poor spot for vans purely because there's so little free land to park a van on. Out west you have much more BLM land and/or campsites that are worth going to. Hard to do destination weekends with a van as you can't really get anywhere worthwhile.
Plenty of spots in national and state forests on the East for a van, but it's gonna be tough for an RV. I'm talking states like WV, VA, NC, GA, TN. Yes, it's not as extensive as BLM and Forests out West, so you may get crowded out on weekends. So you stay at a Walmart for a few days and pick up a spot on a Mon or Tue. I also don't see many RVs in BLM lands. Because it's hard to get into those lands with a non-4x4 lifted van. I can't imagine what a pain in the ass it would be with an RV.

My biggest problem with these spots is you're probably not gonna get any Internet. If you are in the desert, you can do Starlink, but on the East it's a non-starter with all the trees obstruction. In an area like Pisgah, I can camp out a night at a spot w/o Internet and have a 10-15min drive back out next morning to a Starbucks and poop and work, then go back into no-Internet-world when I want to sleep. But sometimes I don't bother and just go to Walmart unless I want a quiet night or a campfire or something.

My style of van-life'ing is hitting a spot one day, mtb, shower at the next closest city with a Planet Fitness, sleep at a Walmart or Cracker Barrel, then move on. I haven't gotten to the point where I'm staying at a single location for 2 weeks, so the lack of forest acreage does not bother me.

I feel most RV'ers park their rig at an RV park and live there for a year or so, then go find another RV park. They might tow a car or buy one at the location so they can explore the area for the duration of the RV park stay.

Last edited:
As I make responses, I am parked in a Planet Fitness, Tractor Supply lot. Just got here from a 4hr ride in Chattanooga, took a shower, and cooking chilli and rice. I have full Internet and no one is bothering me. After I eat, I will move on to Dalton, GA, find a Walmart or similar to sleep at and repeat. If I want to spurge, I check into an airbnb, a campsite or call a friend.

44FA436F-96D4-46DE-B4BB-A7FE456AF71E.jpeg

Last edited:
@soundz what apps do you use to find dispersed camping for the night? Where do you sleep most nights? I’m always curious because I have found that everyone does it differently.

I think that graphic is not showing all the state forests many of which have similar rules and national forests.
I think national forests are on there. You can see where my house is. :)

Yeah, I think you made my point though that you're going pretty far from NJ on a weekend.

There's probably not a lot of crossover between people who do vans and huge RVs.

@soundz what apps do you use to find dispersed camping for the night? Where do you sleep most nights? I’m always curious because I have found that everyone does it differently.
I use Overlander and Freeroam. I've never had a problem finding a place to sleep (Walmart and similar). Cracker Barrel almost always lets you stay the night. Even in spots where people on those apps say they got their door knocked on, if you arrive late and leave early, it's usually no problem. Most of the time, those people just got caught the night security decided to enforce the rules.

Funny thing is the one time that a cop knocked on my door, I had actually booked an airbnb but I was sleeping in the van. Some resident of the condo complex turned me in. The cop said it's a condo-board issue and said sorry and left.

Sure, I can try to find a spot on top of the mountain with spectacular views, etc.. But that also means I have to drive 30min-1hr from the highway up some dirt road in the middle of the night and not know if the spot is viable, has Internet, etc.. Once in a while, I have come across these kinds of spots using the apps, but they are far and few between.

I think in my future as a van-lifer, I will be in a less of a hurry to move on. So let's say I stay in a spot for 2 weeks. Maybe the first few nights, I stay a the Walmart while I am exploring the area via bike, foot and van. Then I get an idea of which spot I can park for a week or 2. I can see things going in that direction, but I can't predict the future.

I think national forests are on there. You can see where my house is. :)
State, not National! For example, Rothrock State Forest in PA. There's lots of these state forests in PA and I don't think anyone would care if you stayed a night in state game lands.

I think something that these RV'ers do also is they buy land for cheap like 1/4 acre or maybe more if you are rich. Then when they are ready to move on, they can sell the land and repeat.

I've also had success staying at random trailheads. But that's usually an arrive by 11pm or later situation and not next to a major'ish roadway. I think I would stay at some of those trailheads for Allamuchy/Stephens, Cherry Ridge lot at Waway, etc in a pinch if I arrive late enough. Trailhead to the AT is good for this because people backpack and leave their cars overnight.

Last edited:
I've also had success staying at random trailheads. But that's usually an arrive by 11pm or later situation and not next to a major'ish roadway. I think I would stay at some of those trailheads for Allamuchy/Stephens, Cherry Ridge lot at Waway, etc in a pinch if I arrive late enough. Trailhead to the AT is good for this because people backpack and leave their cars overnight.
What about taking the opposite approach, just assimilate with everyone else and park somewhere so obvious it's not. You are the one with more experience but a vehicle on the side of the road at mooch or stephens is super sketchy.

What about taking the opposite approach, just assimilate with everyone else and park somewhere so obvious it's not. You are the one with more experience but a vehicle on the side of the road at mooch or stephens is super sketchy.
I have done the residential street thing too, but then you have to be mindful of the parking times and rules. And you obviously don’t want to park in front of someone’s house. Now I’m on Google Satellite trying to figure out what street I can blend into or driving around in circles trying to find a spot that works. Usually in the dark so signs are hard to see. Plus a lot of areas I go are not really street parking type places. The best case scenario is you come upon a street with a park and residences so you can blend in. At the end of the day Walmart and similar is the easiest and I’m jus trying to stay the night and not hang out all day so that’s what usually happens.

As far as Mooch goes, I’m thinking mostly the Cranberry lot. Then the Highlands lot off waterloo. Then further in on Iron Gate at Stephens.

At the walmart over here it started to become a dumping ground for derelict vehicles. One two then three and four cars sitting in the middle of the lot for weeks, then they told everyone out there are signs no overnight parking, trucks or anyone.

At the walmart over here it started to become a dumping ground for derelict vehicles. One two then three and four cars sitting in the middle of the lot for weeks, then they told everyone out there are signs no overnight parking, trucks or anyone.
Yah that happens in more populated areas. Stuff in the middle of nowhere are usually pretty nice. Or if you go to the city outskirts. For the most part, I don’t like to drive into the city, downtown when I’m travelling. And there is no reason since I’m focusing on mountains and trails. It’s a strip mall life. The apps help with filtering things out. You can also go for Home Depot, Lowes, Supermarkets, Rest Stops, etc. The world is your oyster.

Also if you arrive at the parking lot and there are blue lights flashing on 20ft poles with cameras attached to them, don’t sleep there.

There's a serious point where living out of a van/RV makes no sense on the dollars to value equation. Especially the bigger you go in Van/RV costs, that pays for a lot of flights & hotels. IE, places with toilets where someone else cleans them.

NJ (East of the Mississippi in general) is a poor spot for vans purely because there's so little free land to park a van on. Out west you have much more BLM land and/or campsites that are worth going to. Hard to do destination weekends with a van as you can't really get anywhere worthwhile.
I do a lot of traveling with my Jeep, we generally go in groups out to Utah, Southern Cali, Northern Cali. People in my group have everything from a bike packing setup in their rig to a full blown half million toy hauler. After about five years my observations are as follows:

1. On the east coast if you have a large RV and go to a camp site you are literally just staring at other RV’s - unless you are in the Florida Keys, then it is water and other RV’s. Not very appealing to me
2. I concur on pooping, I use a hotel (Hampton Inns are my go to on the road - they are plentiful, open 24hrs and I can usually grab a coffee)
3. Once you factor in the cost of your setup, fuel and maintenance - some times it makes more sense to stay in a hotel or Airbnb. The big dollar rigs are really nice in the desert, especially if you know someone who owns one. I would never buy one, cost benefit is not there for me at this age But maybe when I am older and more achy.
4. I pack a tent shower and carry 10 gallons of water - for camping situations this is more than adequate and provides enough to cook/clean
5. Split long travels up with a home base somewhere we wheel or hike - this allows catch up on laundry and some R&R on a warm couch - great on long trips with lots of driving time
6. If you plan on going to remote sites out west 4x4 can be huge, especially in sandy areas that may flash flood (happens a lot out west and holy cow does everything change in twenty minutes)
7. Be self sufficient out west as huge areas have little to no reception, which is awesome
8. At the end of the day you can make anything work with pre-planning, patience, some sacrifice and once again pre-planning
9. A warm fire solves a lot of problems
10. Most all food can be cooked outside and is half the fun for Me. I also pack a Coleman gas coffee maker which is my favorite camping piece of equipment. I think someone makes one that works off an impact battery now as well.
11. A fridge/freezer is a huge life comfort on extended camps in remoteness.

I have done multiple day trips living in the woods out of my old Blue Jeep TJ - fully packing all my tools to fix it as well - this was mostly done in NH, VT, PA and MA

I just acquired a Toyota Camry, my wife and I are doing a coast to coast hiking trip in the fall with it and will mix camping and air bnb.
132767DF-DBD3-46C9-A7F4-F7C768967CA6.jpeg2138F6F9-C6D2-491F-B1B8-D90E22A98218.jpeg6EB5AA60-547C-425F-8721-D5CFCA82F3DC.jpegDF2EFA48-4825-4DA4-B053-BC5CCA9E975D.jpeg0AAC5175-144A-4691-B94D-BF3BB70F32FC.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom