Boating, Sailing, & Floating Devices

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Fun on the water in Barnegat Light.

Got out on a 17' Hobie Getaway with my kids and niece, nephew. This Catamaran is a nice size for outings like this, it fits a lot of people and is a tank that's really seaworthy.

I rented it from Harvey Cedars, that area of the bay is better for sailing, it's more open with better water depths.

Renting is expensive, so I've been using my kayak daily to explore the bay. Earlier in the week my older son and I crossed the intercoastal from Barnegat Light to Island beach state park. This is always a good adventure.

View attachment 193023

View attachment 193024
Love my Wave, but would really like to try a Getaway. Looks like they added it back into the rental fleet. I assume it handles similar to a wave albeit added length + jib = more speed?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Love my Wave, but would really like to try a Getaway. Looks like they added it back into the rental fleet. I assume it handles similar to a wave albeit added length + jib = more speed?
Yes, Harvey Cedars Marina has Getaway in rental fleet.

The difference between the Wave and Getaway is the Getaway is more comfortable with the ability to sit on wings, also you can bring more passengers. The Wave can really only handle 2 people, the Getaway can fit 4 adults.

Also the Getaway doesn't get tossed around as much in heavy seas.

THATmanMANNY

That’s it folks! Made the call to pull the boat out after the today’s impromptu last run because we aren’t free for the next month. Started the season late but we sent it nearly every weekend for the last couple months. Great times with friends and family! Now back to school and sports and all… womp womp womp. See ya soon summer!
769B8CCC-43BE-426E-AA23-AC2C0E6E9CCF.jpeg
F1866D12-77D0-4159-AF31-830E78962532.jpeg

one piece crank

That’s it folks! Made the call to pull the boat out after the today’s impromptu last run because we aren’t free for the next month. Started the season late but we sent it nearly every weekend for the last couple months. Great times with friends and family! Now back to school and sports and all… womp womp womp. See ya soon summer!
View attachment 195458
View attachment 195459
I hear ya! For us, things quiet down in the Fall. So, we typically ask the marina what the last date they expect to pull boats is, then back-up 1-week/10-days.

one piece crank

Just found out Silver Cloud bought Rick's Marina over the Summer. So, Rick's is no longer pulling boats, they do that and storage at Silver Cloud.

@WJF or anyone else have a local Marina preference for pulling and storage in the FR area?

WJF

Just found out Silver Cloud bought Rick's Marina over the Summer. So, Rick's is no longer pulling boats, they do that and storage at Silver Cloud.

@WJF or anyone else have a local Marina preference for pulling and storage in the FR area?
The new owner story line I hear from a few people is if you want service work done on your boat, they are storing in the Silver Cloud yard. North Branch Yachting Center (Rick's Marina) is only for storage of boats not needing yard service. They only offer haul, power wash and storage at the North Branch. Several complaints on their much higher cost to haul and store. Myself and many others do want to be a customer of the new owner because of personal history and reputation.

I'm using Ted and Sons Marina but Frank is now full with a wait list of 15 boats and haul dates in mid-November. My second choice would be Grant Boat Works but Doug's yard is also full. Suggest you try Holiday Harbor Marina in Waretown.

Ted and Son's.jpg

one piece crank

Thanks for the Marina info. I ususually just Call Rick's this time of year and pick a day, so I'll have to make a few calls. Given that everyone is filling up I may just stick with Silver Cloud this year.

THATmanMANNY

a mild winter is really making the wait for warm weather agonizing! (but it will probably snow heavy in 2 weeks ha)

I test drove a Manitou tritoon sometime in Nov? Definitely lame haha even if it is faster than our run about. The steering and controls on the jet boat is more fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom