Boating, Sailing, & Floating Devices

w_b

@w_b were you serious about the superjet? Was it a project and what condition and work did you do?

a lot chatter on my sale thread but this is a thing now
View attachment 208992
I was partly serious, as my twins get older. Did not pull the trigger doe. Prolly get a SJ for me eventually and some sit down couch type rocketship for da boys to fight over.

Spent ‘86-2000ish on Kawasaki stand ups and X-2s. A young man’s game for sure. Nothing like airing out over rollers in the Sandy Hook rips, or digging over into a hard turn and carving out of the hole using the throttle. Buddies had Superjets when the 701 came out, fun boat. Haven’t ridden a 4 stroke yet but those 2cyl 2 strokes had some neck snapping acceleration given a carb and a pipe.

Me in ‘88:
5214E900-685E-4103-A28E-6E9110033C23.jpeg

and up at Worthington SF jetski camping right around the same time. ‘86 X-2 in the foreground. ‘98 FSR @ Chimney Rock by Gilbride for scale. Judy XC and VBrakes, how did I not die?

CF9F7048-72D5-4798-976E-656C9772DE3C.jpeg

Last edited:

JDurk

I was partly serious, as my twins get older. Did not pull the trigger doe. Prolly get a SJ for me eventually and some sit down couch type rocketship for da boys to fight over.

Spent ‘86-2000ish on Kawasaki stand ups and X-2s. A young man’s game for sure. Nothing like airing out over rollers in the Sandy Hook rips, or digging over into a hard turn and carving out of the hole using the throttle. Buddies had Superjets when the 701 came out, fun boat. Haven’t ridden a 4 stroke yet but those 2cyl 2 strokes had some neck snapping acceleration given a carb and a pipe.

Me in ‘88:
View attachment 209020

and up at Worthington SF jetski camping right around the same time. ‘86 X-2 in the foreground. ‘98 FSR @ Chimney Rock by Gilbride for scale. Judy XC and VBrakes, how did I not die?

View attachment 209021
SJ 701s were the real deal. Friend had 1. I had a 1995 Sea Doo XP 720, traded it in for a '96 XP 800 the following year and kept it until around 2003. We raced them too at the IJSBA local races in the Englishtown retention pond, Point Pleasant and some down in MD. Same friend that had the SJ later got a GP1800r. That thing was fast. Whatever it is he has now from Yamaha, 4 stroke, supercharged, etc. will do 75mph easily in fresh water as I learned at Raystown a few years ago during a mtb/pwc/40th birthday party weekend.

Reactions: w_b

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
‘98 FSR @ Chimney Rock
Is that the same FSR you were riding up until like two years ago lol?

Me in ‘88:
5214E900-685E-4103-A28E-6E9110033C23.jpeg

@Ryan.P had a crazy '80s looking ski.... I think he's posted it here before. I've had several waverunners but have always wanted to ride a real jet ski. I am always looking for more ways to injure myself.

w_b

@Ryan.P had a crazy '80s looking ski.... I think he's posted it here before. I've had several waverunners but have always wanted to ride a real jet ski. I am always looking for more ways to injure myself.
Not quite. Good following along tho- I got a max backbone and a 2004 enduro frame built up and ridden in that time. When You and I rode it was the Enduro frame. LOL T429 makes that all moot.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's

Lol my neck is permanently damaged from the whiplash my jetski would dish out . 650 conversion 550 hull with all the aftermarket goodies .
FB_IMG_1561461929743.jpg

THATmanMANNY

Just been sticking with using zinc anodes on the yamaha but I was double checking what to use with metal pontoons. I didn't know you can use aluminum anodes for salt and brackish water too. Not sure which to buy now... advice for Barneget Bay please?

edit: just read that if it's docked for for a long time use Zinc. Agree?

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Just been sticking with using zinc anodes on the yamaha but I was double checking what to use with metal pontoons. I didn't know you can use aluminum anodes for salt and brackish water too. Not sure which to buy now... advice for Barneget Bay please?

edit: just read that if it's docked for for a long time use Zinc. Agree?
Aluminum is perfectly fine, and arguably better for the earth. It's more important to have good condition anodes in place than worrying about zinc vs. aluminum....both work fine. They have one job, sacrifice. You'll have more issues with growing a beard when it's moored too long than seeing a difference between alum. and zinc. It's difficult though to argue any environmental impact topic when having a boating discussion, as anodes are pretty far down the list of bad things.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
They had that CG thing in there too, that was sketchy.
You mean the state police marine barracks? The state probably paid for that building 10 times over with PPC jetski/kayak/canoe ticket revenue.

Reactions: w_b

djm

I've had many boats in the past but lately I've been pontoon shopping. The space & simplicity is tough to beat. Prices are all over the place but the $$$ toons are absolutely gorgeous. Ultimately I'm hoping to find a 22-26ft tritoon in need of some sweat equity. Anyone have experience or tips ?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I've had many boats in the past but lately I've been pontoon shopping. The space & simplicity is tough to beat. Prices are all over the place but the $$$ toons are absolutely gorgeous. Ultimately I'm hoping to find a 22-26ft tritoon in need of some sweat equity. Anyone have experience or tips ?

Find one that already has a 4-cycle motor.....
I just "upgraded" mine and I swear I could have purchased a different boat for the same amount......and it was only 60HP....

Reactions: djm

djm

Find one that already has a 4-cycle motor.....
I just "upgraded" mine and I swear I could have purchased a different boat for the same amount......and it was only 60HP....
Great point. I'm not interested in mixing oil and all the hassle of a 2 stroke.

But how much HP is enough for a pontoon boat? A tritoon? Coming from a deep V background where 330HP is my minimum I don't want to be underpowered to the point where I can't get my family out and home without too much bitchin'.

Top Bottom