Bring a Trailer - OMFG or On Topic

Talking to Rick about cars

facepalm-really.gif

Rally cars just look silly. Some real race cars look great - like this:

20210110_144115.jpg

Rally cars just look silly. Some real race cars look great - like this:

View attachment 199646
Try to expand your mind...."Form follows function" makes race cars beautiful....Their look is driven solely by their purpose.

a 68 CJ super STOCK car....The whole point of the class is for the cars to be stock appearing....and it went 120-125mph in a straight line. Not 150mph on narrow European dirt roads :)

I agree with @JerseyPete on the 037, it looked amazing....but think of the Lancia Delta....The factory had to make this front drive econobox
1667484904014.png

into this REAR engined AWD, 500hp (turbocharged and supercharged) race car that turn on a dime and hit jumps....go150+mph

1667485051168.png

THEN they had to make 500? (I forget the group b homogation number) street versions.....
1667485165775.png

1667485187777.png

Making those race cars into street cars is really an unbelievable engineering challenge.....and just shows how much MONEY the factories were willing to spend to win group b....

I mean thats how you get amazing cars like the Gt40, and the ford thunderbolt, and the superbird, and the audi S1, etc, etc.....when the factories say, ok...fuck it...we dont care what it costs, we just want to win....Almost never happens anymore sadly.

Try to expand your mind...."Form follows function" makes race cars beautiful....Their look is driven solely by their purpose.

a 68 CJ super STOCK car....The whole point of the class is for the cars to be stock appearing....and it went 120-125mph in a straight line. Not 150mph on narrow European dirt roads :)

I agree with @JerseyPete on the 037, it looked amazing....but think of the Lancia Delta....The factory had to make this front drive econobox
View attachment 199648

into this REAR engined AWD, 500hp (turbocharged and supercharged) race car that turn on a dime and hit jumps....go150+mph

View attachment 199649

THEN they had to make 500? (I forget the group b homogation number) street versions.....
View attachment 199650

View attachment 199651

Making those race cars into street cars is really an unbelievable engineering challenge.....and just shows how much MONEY the factories were willing to spend to win group b....

I mean thats how you get amazing cars like the Gt40, and the ford thunderbolt, and the superbird, and the audi S1, etc, etc.....when the factories say, ok...fuck it...we dont care what it costs, we just want to win....Almost never happens anymore sadly.

I appreciate the technology, only commenting on the aesthetics - they look awful. Even if I was a billionaire, I would have zero desire to own one.

The Audi and Lancia rally cars look incredible. I spent a lot of time watching WRC when I first got Speed channel after college and have a huge soft spot for almost any actual rally car (perhaps not the 911 Turbo shown above if you want to call that a "rally car" or most of the safari builds).

Real race cars don't run the same 1/4 mile times as a stock Honda Civic.
Depends which one. And a Tesla Plaid S will beat pretty much any production car on the planet - even a $3.5 million Bugatti Chiron SS.
68 CJ mustang is an easy one since it was the Super stock national record holder that year in its class.....They would run 11.1-11.2 @120-125 range....at best. I know a little more about this setup since my Dad built himself one.....Which, sorry to say, would curb stomp any honda civic type whatever. :)

68 CJ mustang is an easy one since it was the Super stock national record holder that year in its class.....They would run 11.1-11.2 @120-125 range....at best. I know a little more about this setup since my Dad built himself one.....Which, sorry to say, would curb stomp any honda civic type whatever. :)

Hey check this out - Dodge's new Hurricane 3.0 L turbo straight six that puts out 500 HP. ICE isn't dead yet!

https://carbuzz.com/news/5-cars-perfect-for-a-dodge-inline-six-hurricrate-engine-swap

Here is one of the originals that Sothebys is auctioning this weekend.....

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/...udi-sport-quattro-s1-e2-group-b-works/1301215

Only 15 quattro S1 E2s are believed to exist of the 20 built by Audi. Of these 15, only six competed in a WRC rally, and just four are in private hands today.

I cant even imagine what one of the Walter Rohl driven cars would sell for.
Agreed. Everyone thinks Walter Rohl is the sh*t and he is! But my favorite is Michelle Mouton; she is the coolest character and super bad ass. If I could own an original piece of Audi history, it would be a factory ride driven by Michelle Mouton to a WRC title.

Back
Top Bottom