Camp Cromwell property

Earthworks owner's name is CIARCIA. So I expect it will look like this, unfortunately:

E4S2DBdVcAAAxjn.jpg

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm just trying to gauge whether it's supposed to be an actual trail, or if it's going to be a paved trail (Like Duke Island Park or something similar).

At the township level I'm expecting the latter.
I would venture to say paved bike paths, the cost of the project is laughable, but that’s NJ for ya

Reactions: rlb
I have not commented on this yet as I've only gotten bits and pieces from a few different people and didn't want to put out incomplete or false info. I did receive a call from the township today and will be meeting with them to discuss details within the next couple of weeks. I will post up something after. My gut feeling is things will mostly work out and we will have some new mtn bike trails to ride.

Thanks for the update, Kirt.

Also found this article posted one month ago. The bit that caught my attention are plans for a one mile gravel trail and three miles of mountain bike trails.

BRIDGEWATER - The Township Council has awarded a bid to construct two trails next year at the 100-acre Camp Cromwell park on Vosseller Avenue.

Using a $350,000 grant from Somerset County, the township has agreed to pay $598,100 to Earthworks, of Farmingdale, for improvements to the park the township acquired in 2017 from the Boys Club of New York.

The money will be used for the construction of an approximately one-mile long multi-use gravel trail and an approximately three-mile long mountain biking trail.

Also included in the project are a rain garden, access gate, parking lot repairs, trail kiosks, benches, tables, bike racks, refuse receptacles, timber bridges and trail markers.

The project is "long overdue," said Councilman Timothy Ring.

The trail system was initially envisioned to connect with the Somerset County Park Commission's Middlebrook Trail in Washington Valley Park.Camp Cromwell is on the north slope of the First Watchung Ridge near the intersection of Vosseller Avenue and Gilbride Road. It is also near Somerset County's 719-acre Washington Valley Park.

Figured I’d finally chime in about the Camp. I’ve reserved commenting as I was never fully sure of exactly what I could share.

I’ve basically been involved since the beginning along with HT Paul/Jorba Tom. Many meetings at town hall and phone conversations, as this was all new for the township people building mtn bike trails. I got King Trails involved as well. They are the ones who did the layout, which I think is really good with taking advantage of all the property.

Since this is a public property/project, it had to be bid out as per NJ law. Unfortunately or fortunately, the professional trail builders did not win the bid, they actually weren’t even close. A general contractor company won and they did have trail building experience even if it was only public park type trails. That was enough to be in the game and win. I said fortunately as the other bids were so high that this project would have been DOA if they were the only option as they were way beyond the anticipated budget. We got new trails, so that’s a win in my book regardless of who is building them.

I did a walk thru with the township engineer on the progress last month. The crew literally just rough cut with a mini-ex, really just a scrape & go. They just followed the flagging, which was in the trees, so ended up as more of a guesstimate as they dug. I saw many issues IMO, probably more than the engineer was expecting. I pointed out long fall line sections, super sharp turns, water issues, really short steep sections and 1 really dangerous drop in. They also lined a ton of it with downed trees not knowing this could cause water draining issues. Post walk-thru, I was told the contractor was made aware of said issues, and will make it right. That said, we (Jorba with help) will plan to improve all those sections that will need it, short and long term.

Currently the camp is not open for riding but there are no signs stating much of anything. And it will take some time before there are officially open. Not only is there all the trail work to be finished, lots of safety issues need to be addressed beforehand. There are 1 or 2 dams on the east side that are being removed as they are falling apart. The DEP permits are done and I believe that work will start early this summer. There are also at least 50 ash trees that need to be removed (think High Bridge). This part is also a work in progress on who and when. There are also existing structures, that have repeatedly been broken into, that they want to keep for future park additions. That has to be somehow figured out as to how to secure those. Some of the others items that will need to be addressed are fencing, a front gate, rope course removal, cleanup of dumping area, road crossings (main and inside the camp). I’m sure there are more that I’m not even aware of.

At this point, I don’t think the trails are great for riding. They are pretty raw and soft with holes, loose rocks, awkward turns, mud holes, etc. But you may feel differently.

If you venture over, just be aware of potential construction crews operating and please avoid them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, Kirt. A lot of behind the scenes work to get projects like this done. I'm sure with some work, the trails will be awesome flowy goodness.

Rode there a few times. It is good. Too bad they don't have real trail builders put in berms like Dupont State Forest/Brevard NC or Kingdom, VT.

Rode there a few times. It is good. Too bad they don't have real trail builders put in berms like Dupont State Forest/Brevard NC or Kingdom, VT.
Can the dirt around Chimney Rock really support berms like those places? At least sustainably.

Dupont & Kingdom both have weird magical dirt that packs down really well. Dupont specifically has a ton of sand almost like Allaire. The rest of the Brevard (Pisgah) area berms are probably not too sustainable and are built up on the side of the trail from all the benchcutting/washout and I find aren't perfect for a turn like Dupont. They are mostly a different line to take as opposed to a fast way through a corner.

Berms need constant upkeep which is also a reason why trail builders may not put them in when hired as they won't be hired to maintain them.

‘Real trail builders’? I’m hoping you aren’t talking about the volunteers who build everything you ride at CR .

Can the dirt around Chimney Rock really support berms like those places? At least sustainably.

Dupont & Kingdom both have weird magical dirt that packs down really well. Dupont specifically has a ton of sand almost like Allaire. The rest of the Brevard (Pisgah) area berms are probably not too sustainable and are built up on the side of the trail from all the benchcutting/washout and I find aren't perfect for a turn like Dupont. They are mostly a different line to take as opposed to a fast way through a corner.

Berms need constant upkeep which is also a reason why trail builders may not put them in when hired as they won't be hired to maintain them.
IIRC, the dirt closer to the court was pretty hard-packed, almost a sandy clay. That section was also very pitted and bumpy. 🤷‍♂️

Lol how quickly you have forgotten how government contracts work in NJ.

E4S2DBdVcAAAxjn.jpg
It's funny to say that but it's pretty easy to just push back. Contractors want the retainage paid out and want to be able to get a bond on their next project.

It's not like there's any bridges to burn as it's not a contractor they wanted on the job. If anything it's a great way to make sure they think twice before bidding too low again thinking they can half ass the job.

But trail building I'm sure it's weird. I doubt you can point to a drawing that says exactly how each specific berm should be built.

Reactions: rlb
It's a moot point. The trails won't be fixed. The town isn't going to hire a lawyer to prove they weren't made in a sustainable way. You'd need to bring in experts and so on, and the contractor will just declare bankruptcy is they lose.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions