Camp Cromwell property

It's a moot point. The trails won't be fixed. The town isn't going to hire a lawyer to prove they weren't made in a sustainable way. You'd need to bring in experts and so on, and the contractor will just declare bankruptcy is they lose.
And it can’t help that people ride before it’s open.. the builders can say it was done to spec but those darn kids and their fancy bicycles destroyed it.

Shouldn't we focus on the positive here? Sure, the trails could have been made better. Sure, they could have had actual trail designers do the job. Sure to all the other criticisms, not discounting anyone or saying you should never agitate for improvement. Like some pointed out tho, trying to do so w/ town government spending the least amount of money they can on the project is probably a lost cause.

SOOOO, the fact we got something like this in BW is rad, ain't it?

Comparing the hills of BW to the mountains of VT or NC is a bit silly. Why stop there? Why not compare to the 20 mile long descents in the Rockies, or the famous slabs of Squamish?

No different than the existing trails, over time these will be improved by the hard-working volunteers who've done so across the WV/CR estate.

WE GOT NEW TRAILS BUILT YO! While not perfect, that's still surely WAY better than getting nothing, ain't it?

(full disclosure, as a self-identified idiot, I've not yet ridden there, so giving myself full permission to b1tch and moan the first time I go there!)

Rode the main loop in Cromwell CCW today. No signs that it's closed but they are still doing work on some parts. Parts were overgrown, but still ridable. One about 15 foot section at the bottom of a turn that is deep mud and standing water. That's not new.

Really sprucing it up. Repairs, new shingles and paint on the covered bridge. :)

IMG_9999.jpg

The lede was a little buried. These are funding requests, that needs to be approved by the Appropriations Committee, and then would still need to pass the full House in "must pass funding bills." With the House MAGA crowd more focused on obstruction than governing, good luck.

First ride through today -
lost the trail in a couple places, but pulled out TF and found it.

There is some construction, which effects the trail - the equipment is parked in both spots.
Easy enough to navigate around - again with TF..

Needs some weed whacking in a couple place -
One bad mud spot - probably needs the same treatment as the wet spot on red.

my ride tells me 2.5 miles of new trail not counting getting to vossler - and we skipped a bit because of construction.

What’s opinions on the right way to ride the trails? I did CCW until I got lost in the construction space. I plan to try CW again now that I know how to go through the construction zone and skip a small section of trail.

Any tips for finding the trial in the construction zone? And what is the large house/lodge? Nice to see new trails.

I haven't figured out the fully best way yet, I thought I had it pre-construction... I go in and ride up the gravel path and make the first left - not going all the way to the top and I come out below the basketball courts -Theres a very short single track bench and then make a left to jump into the single track. I take that all the way down staying to the left at each split. Pre-construction that would bring me out just to the left of that gray shed, now I navigate the gravel and construction area to the shed and cut back in - that wraps around to the right and has a nice flowy section back to the construction area. There is a trail but theres a big tree down I navigate around. That'll go down to the pit where the creek used to be (and the construction was done). You'll then come to a Y - the right has this small concrete bridge - you can go that way to head back up - or to the left will give you the outer loop - both are mostly back uphill top and this time you'll ride on the bench behind the basketball courts (To me, its much better this direction). Cross the street, hop back on the single track and it'll wrap you back up to the top. After the wooden bridges hop onto the trail on the left and you'll get the long fun downhill back down to the street.

The only think you miss is the flowy part behind the house - its very overgrown now so I don't really miss it, but if you want to hit it, before you get to the street - make a right on the gravel path, and wrap all the way around the bottom you'll see the house and can duck in right behind there to zip across that stretch.

I know the picture doesn't do much without arrows and directions - I'm still learning how to get it all without much doubling back. I'm getting there!

Attachments

• Cromwell.jpg
    Cromwell.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 77
It’s getting closer…

Who do I have to petition/beg/bribe with donuts to make Cromwell its own color(s) so I can keep my titles clean in Strava? There was a rumor they’d also be blue and orange?

Brown and purple would work nicely and aren’t used at CR. 👍🏼

Attachments

• IMG_6304.jpeg
    IMG_6304.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6328.jpeg
    IMG_6328.jpeg
    10.5 KB · Views: 67
It’s getting closer…

Who do I have to petition/beg/bribe with donuts to make Cromwell its own color(s) so I can keep my titles clean in Strava? There was a rumor they’d also be blue and orange?

Brown and purple would work nicely and aren’t used at CR. 👍🏼
There's a pink at CR as well.

Purple is a good idea, so would a (obvious) light blue. I don't know how well brown would work in a forest.

There's a pink at CR as well.

Purple is a good idea, so would a (obvious) light blue. I don't know how well brown would work in a forest.

They could use a dot system to id the trails

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions