Car-spotting thread

There was 300 or so Porsches in town for a yearly event. Sorry @Carson but I just don't understand these cars visually. The old ones look like sporty VW bugs to me, 80's air cooled are ugly. Water cooled later ones all look basically the same. Which makes sense as every owner was a white guy in cargo shorts with belt, polo shirt and a beige baseball cap. That's not completely true as some guys mixed it up with a shirt that said Martini. That's how you knew they were true car guys.

I do find it interesting how Porsche owners try to differentiate their cars. Big ass wings, or weird retro paint jobs. I'm not hating, I'm sure they're all having fun. Although if you are the people that show up in a Cayenne you're a bit weird.

Not the biggest fan but definitely the front-engine cars look the best.

2024-04-27 11.14.41.jpg
2024-04-27 11.21.01.jpg

I'd love to get an S2000 but there's two issues:
1) They've shot up to an unrealistic price.
2) I doubt you can find one that's not completely ruined. Exhibit A:

2024-04-27 11.59.35.jpg

I'd love to get an S2000 but there's two issues:
1) They've shot up to an unrealistic price.
2) I doubt you can find one that's not completely ruined. Exhibit A:

The S2000 is a case of a car where I can actually understand the increase in values. It's such a good car, wasn't made in huge quantities, reliable, incredible to drive. I don't know what they "should" cost, but it did feel like they were undervalued for a long time.

Oh yeah...

Friend of mine imported a Mitsubishi Pajero, right hand drive. Pulls into the trail head the other day and realized it was a completely different right-hand drive imported Pajero.

2024-04-22 17.43.25.jpg

I think I posted this car from a brewery. I'm seriously getting all my 64/65 Falcons mixed up, I don't know why they're so popular here.

2024-04-25 17.50.46.jpg
The S2000 is a case of a car where I can actually understand the increase in values. It's such a good car, wasn't made in huge quantities, reliable, incredible to drive. I don't know what they "should" cost, but it did feel like they were undervalued for a long time.
Yeah, not arguing with that at all. Just not what I want to spend for a used car. Similar thing happened with the Lotus Elise where they were a bargain for awhile and then went to a price that makes sense. My wife doesn't say NO to a lot of cars but a Lotus is one of them.

The S2000 issue is really just finding one that isn't completely ruined. Looking at comparisons to the ND2 Miata has them pretty similar and the Miata has way more support, warranty, etc. Miata for a road car may be a bit better.

Oh yeah...

Friend of mine imported a Mitsubishi Pajero, right hand drive. Pulls into the trail head the other day and realized it was a completely different right-hand drive imported Pajero.

View attachment 237265

I think I posted this car from a brewery. I'm seriously getting all my 64/65 Falcons mixed up, I don't know why they're so popular here.

View attachment 237266

Yeah, not arguing with that at all. Just not what I want to spend for a used car. Similar thing happened with the Lotus Elise where they were a bargain for awhile and then went to a price that makes sense. My wife doesn't say NO to a lot of cars but a Lotus is one of them.

The S2000 issue is really just finding one that isn't completely ruined. Looking at comparisons to the ND2 Miata has them pretty similar and the Miata has way more support, warranty, etc. Miata for a road car may be a bit better.

Problem with the S2000 is you can find a Porsche Boxster of the same era for cheaper, and its a better car in every way, but I think they both look weird today IMO. The early 2000's Porsches were the fugliest of all.

I would love to get a Miata and engine swap it with the 4.7L V8 from the 90's Mustang. That specific motor drops into the car perfectly. Instantly turns the Miata from a girlfriends car into a beast.

Definitely was interested in an Elise for a while as well, but at some point realized I'm not actually hardcore enough to drive one of those on any kind of regular basis.

Problem with the S2000 is you can find a Porsche Boxster of the same era for cheaper, and its a better car in every way, but I think they both look weird today IMO. The early 2000's Porsches were the fugliest of all.

I think the S2000 is at least as good as a 2000s Boxster in most respects, or at least they're close enough that it's largely down to personal preference. The shifter feel is way better, interior seems like it generally holds up better, fewer potential drivetrain issues, similar performance, great sound. I have a 2009 Cayman and I wouldn't trade it for an S2000 but the S2000's that I've driven have been just as engaging and fun.

Definitely was interested in an Elise for a while as well, but at some point realized I'm not actually hardcore enough to drive one of those on any kind of regular basis.

I think the S2000 is at least as good as a 2000s Boxster in most respects, or at least they're close enough that it's largely down to personal preference. The shifter feel is way better, interior seems like it generally holds up better, fewer potential drivetrain issues, similar performance, great sound. I have a 2009 Cayman and I wouldn't trade it for an S2000 but the S2000's that I've driven have been just as engaging and fun.
I agree, but I would still take a Boxter that was post IMS over an S2000.

I just saw a Cybertruck in the wild, and it was fucking incredible. My face hurts from smiling at how incredibly ridiculous it is. It looks bad in pictures, but it's just so much worse in real life. Like, unimaginably bad.

I just saw a Cybertruck in the wild, and it was fucking incredible. My face hurts from smiling at how incredibly ridiculous it is. It looks bad in pictures, but it's just so much worse in real life. Like, unimaginably bad.

Spotted this one at Sea Otter. Agree, it's super weird in person. When you see it you think you're looking at a heavily pixelated rendering of a truck from the future.

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 3.02.39 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom